Options

Stone, we meant to say 'thank you'!

Met up with college roommates in Detroit (19 years after we first saw PJ in Toledo together), and had a great time at the show. Next morning after breakfast, we headed back to the hotel to gather luggage before parting ways.

Stone got into the elevator in the middle of our group of eight. I think maybe half of us knew exactly who he was, but we aren't the types to stalk celebrities or mug someone in an elevator. It was a silent, awkward ride.

I'm still not the guy to pester someone famous, but dammit I had the opportunity to thank a member of the band personally and I blew it. I guess there are probably a few hundred people around here with a similar experience. I should have thanked him.

Thanks Stone.

Comments

• Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    You didn't blow it, you played it cool. I stood 3 feet from Ed at Chelios' place the day of the show. I gave him a simple head nod which he may not have even seen. Playing it cool is better than falling all over them, in my opinion.

I may have given Stone a "great show", but I'm sure they get in elevators and see people and go "here we go"
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    You didn't blow it, you played it cool. I stood 3 feet from Ed at Chelios' place the day of the show. I gave him a simple head nod which he may not have even seen. Playing it cool is better than falling all over them, in my opinion.

I may have given Stone a "great show", but I'm sure they get in elevators and see people and go "here we go"
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Who's stone?
  • Options
    badbrains said:

Who's stone?

The drummer who was in Nirvana before he joined Pearl Jam
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Who's stone?

The drummer who was in Nirvana before he joined Pearl Jam
    Ohhhhh, that stone. Ya, I still don't know who stone is.
  • Options
    shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    nothing wrong with just saying hello.
    did you see me? i saw you.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    KD109226 said:

Met up with college roommates in Detroit (19 years after we first saw PJ in Toledo together), and had a great time at the show. Next morning after breakfast, we headed back to the hotel to gather luggage before parting ways.

Stone got into the elevator in the middle of our group of eight. I think maybe half of us knew exactly who he was, but we aren't the types to stalk celebrities or mug someone in an elevator. It was a silent, awkward ride.

I'm still not the guy to pester someone famous, but dammit I had the opportunity to thank a member of the band personally and I blew it. I guess there are probably a few hundred people around here with a similar experience. I should have thanked him.

Thanks Stone.

Good for you. I had a similar experience with Cal Ripken Jr. These guys can't go anywhere without being bombarded. I'd bet he appreciated not being asked for a picture or an autograph. Especially if he knew you knew who he was.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    When we were at the Mayhem Fest this summer, the members of Darkest Hour cut in line in front of me. My husband thanked them and told them that they sounded great. I admit that I didn't know who they were, but my husband was thrilled and played it cool.

I don't think that band members mind being appreciated as long as it isn't obnoxious or stalking.
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838
    From what I've heard, all the guys are gracious when approached, but I bet they still prefer to just anonymously go about their business when they get the chance. You did the right thing.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,641
    edited October 2014
    Eddie has given a specific shout out on stage to fans he's met in elevators a number of times, and i've heard all of the band members say something in a positive way about fans they've spoken to in elevators at one time or another (this is obviously THE place for fans to chat with them... since everyone's stuck in there for a bit, haha), so I really don't think they mind, but I'm sure it all depends on how the fan plays it. I.e. down to earth and cool versus spazzed out and frantic, lol. Nothing wrong with not saying anything obviously... as long as you don't regret it. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata