Options

*** San Francisco III Fanviews 7/18 Here ***

thefireiscookingthefireiscooking Posts: 10
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Ed Preset: I Am Mine

Pearl Jam Set List: Release, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, World Wide Suicide, Untitled, MFC, Red Mosquito, Unemployable, Sad, Light Years, Big Wave, Even Flow, Do The Evolution, In Hiding, Down, Present Tense , Why Go

1st Encore: Wasted Reprise, Man of the Hour, Crazy Mary, Comatose, Alive

2nd Encore: Last Exit, State Of Love And Trust, Leash, All Along The Watchtower (with Lee Ranaldo), Yellow Ledbetter

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Early Set List Source Message Pit’s “IamMine,” “justam” and you

Set List Source: tenclub.net and theskyiscrape.com
bernadine holland
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    raypouraypou Posts: 3
    OH MY GOD, my new favorite show ever. That was just plain amazing, Boom on Crazy Mary! AAAHHH, I can't even begin to describe it, I thought that one was way better than the weekend shows, and it seemed like most of the crowd was a bit more respectful, too.
    Wow, can't really say more than that at the moment, I'm in awe. If you missed it, shame on you!

Ha, and Ed trying to surf on the guitar was just awesome, I loved it!
    Definitely getting the boot of this one.
  • Options
    Onion ManOnion Man Posts: 17
    I got to hear one of my favorite songs live for the first time. Light Years. I can die a happy man. The most intense song of the night had to be Crazy Mary. Boom went insane. This was without question, the best show out of the three. Question for the people that waited in the back to meet the band. Did they ever come out? I stopped by after buying some stuff at a liquor store and one of the security guards told me that the crowd was crazy for waiting since the band had "left in limos, seconds after the show was over." I think he was just bullshitting me, but I had to catch BART home anyways.
  • Options
    jeffwalshjeffwalsh Posts: 169
    Onion Man wrote:
    Question for the people that waited in the back to meet the band. Did they ever come out? I stopped by after buying some stuff at a liquor store and one of the security guards told me that the crowd was crazy for waiting since the band had "left in limos, seconds after the show was over." I think he was just bullshitting me, but I had to catch BART home anyways.

He was bullshitting you... Ed came out shortly before 1, blew a kiss to the crowd across the street, got in the van and left... didn't sign anything. Not sure about the rest of the band.
  • Options
    OversizeOversize Posts: 5
    Anyone else notice Lance Armstrong was there? Just left (Mike and Jeff) of center, up on the balcony, 3rd row...

He really seemed to know the new songs too... which was really cool.
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    true on ed coming out and waving briefly, we were waiting for a bit out there and just saw him get into the van

getting hail hail, untitled/MFC, red mosquito, sad, light years (!!), and IN HIDING :eek: (!!!!&#@^#@&*^) in one show....sweet god.

for some reason i liked the energy overall from the 2nd nite, but it was a great evening. feel *very* lucky to have been able to enjoy all 3 shows here in my hometown :)
  • Options
    ed79ed79 Posts: 4
    didn't they play release and life wasted?
  • Options
    yep on both, release is awesome as an opener, i love it :)
  • Options
    beezbeez Posts: 22
    I saw Stone And Mike at a restaurant in North Beach after the show. They were there for the winners of a charity auction dinner. They both signed autographs for me as they were getting into their van at about 1:30 am.
  • Options
    zulfishahzulfishah Posts: 6
    Didn't the first setlist start with Release? I'm pretty sure it did.

The show was awesome, though not as memorable as the 2nd one... comeon, ed screwing up the first song, singing from the crowd, using the guitar as the flashlight... can't beat that!
    the highlight of the show was definitely Crazy Mary; amazing improvization at the end. the 10 songs... even flow, why go, alive.... were amazing. all along the watchtower was a treat. wasn't too high on In Hiding or Present Tense. the crowd on the flood was a letdown... anyone notice the 3 annoying idiots who were smashed out of their mind, throwing themselves everywhere and pushing everyone around?

but all in all, a pleasure, and i really wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. my first 2 pearl jam shows! magic.
  • Options
    watching ed try to surf on mike's busted guitar was hilarious to see too! as soon as i saw him put it on the floor i thought oh no....this can't end well *cringe* hahaha
  • Options
    OMG, this show OWNED!!

BTW, Release was the opener, followed by life wasted.

I spent this show about 3 people back from the rail right in front of Mike.

GOT A PICK!!!!!!!!!!!! The pick of destiny.

Dude we were pretty rowdy tonight...the Great One, STONE addressed the crowd after a few songs and told us to settle down and such. I felt honoured to have been deemed worthy of rebuke from his holiness.

This setlist was amazing. They played In hiding, which was #1 on my wishlist. So glad they played Last Exit and red mosquito.

OMG, you guys had to be there for the crazy mary jam. This was the rgeatest I've ever seen/heard them jam on this song, the energy was INTENSE. Boom owned.

All Along the Watchtower...wow, owned. The guitarist from Sonic Youth came out to jam on this one. Mike SMASHED THE CRAP out of his guitar and broke it after tossing it in the air a few times. Afterwards, Eddie threw that guitar in front of him, got a running start then SURFED THE GUITAR then ate crap all over a monitor, which brough a huge pop from the crowd, it was sweet. Eddie looked like he hurt his arm, lol

Sad, Light Years, and Down were also awesoem treats. I can't beleive how many different songs these guys busted out in 3 nights! Too bad we didn't get hard to imagine, nothingman, jeremy, rival, faithful, satans bed, rats, all those yesterdays, 1/2 full, you are, tremor christ, oceans or deep though. wow I'm picky.

SF 3 FTW!!!
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • Options
    OK.
    what happend on All Along the Watchtower.

All I know is that I was over on Mikes side, and some huge guy blocked my view for a couple secounds. Next thing I know... I see mikes guitar go flying very high into the air!

did he catch it?
    did he slam it into something?
    wtf was Eddie trying to do to the guitar?

is this the first time Mike has ever destroyed a guitar?

Great show
    Best of the SF shows
  • Options
    OK.
    what happend on All Along the Watchtower.

All I know is that I was over on Mikes side, and some huge guy blocked my view for a couple secounds. Next thing I know... I see mikes guitar go flying very high into the air!

did he catch it?
    did he slam it into something?
    wtf was Eddie trying to do to the guitar?

is this the first time Mike has ever destroyed a guitar?

Great show
    Best of the SF shows

(copy pasting what i just edited into my above post)
    Mike SMASHED THE CRAP out of his guitar and broke it after tossing it in the air a few times. Afterwards, Eddie threw that guitar in front of him, got a running start then SURFED THE GUITAR then ate crap all over a monitor, which brough a huge pop from the crowd, it was sweet. Eddie looked like he hurt his arm, lol
    "I forgot the F***ing song."
    - Eddie Vedder, San Francisco 7-16-06, after botching Sometimes, the night's opener

http://people.ucsc.edu/~mquery/pics/pujolsFTW.JPG
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    My last show this tour... and it was incredible.
    Chose to sit the balcony after my experience in the Pit on Sunday night... and while further back, I forgot what an incredible experience it is to have a view of the crowd going nuts....

Amazing.

Something else that must be said... I cannot believe this community of fans and friends -- I met so many cool people over the last couple of days... people that became instant friends. You know who are -- thanks for sharing the last few days everyone.

Brantley -- buys water for all those waiting to see the band post show...
    Celine -- rocks hard from Kentucky
    Robin -- sorry Eddie didn't send out his love to you on Black, but I'm sure he mentioned you when he played Man of the Hour....

My fellow neighbors at the show sharing a 5 year anniversary... you guys were the best. I had such an amazing time jamming out next to you guys....

Kevin in front of me, and a Kevin behind me... you guys rocked hard. Great job.

We met a fantastic couple that was at the Shoeless show show in Indio(?)... he knew he was hooked on PJ and his girl from there on out...

The coolest people... the most amazing band.... I'm having a hard time really describing my emotions, but suffice to say at this point -- THANKS!
  • Options
    ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    opening with Release......tears streaming down my face cos I knew they would if he did that....I lost my mom earlier this year and this time the song had new personal meaning......

no shit about Boom......Crazy Mary was one wish I had for tonite.....got it.....I saw them do that June 1, 2003 at Shoreline and went nuts....I love the Mike/Boom jam.........I love how the PJ choir ROCKED. I love how we got 3 different shows that will make sweet boots to add to our ever growing collection. I love how cool it was meeting new people in line, hanging with friends, celebrating my birthday Sunday in line, and fuck, ALL ALONG THE WATCH TOWER???? That was too much. I'd give my left nut (if I had one!) to go to the Gorge but some of my friends will fill me in........Like Lydia etal......

now I can go to sleep.
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    gig was amazing!!! kicked my ass.... by the way... release was the first song played.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    NicciNicci Posts: 26
    Oversize wrote:
    Anyone else notice Lance Armstrong was there? Just left (Mike and Jeff) of center, up on the balcony, 3rd row...

That must have been his double, because the real Lance Armstrong is in France since monday, and is still there today!!! And I really don't see how he can be at two places the same time...
    Antwerp 30.08.2006
    Paris 11.09.2006
    London 18.06.2007
    Nijmegen 28.06.2007
    Werchter 29.06.2007
  • Options
    NatedogNatedog Posts: 3
    Last night was the first of this tour for me and my first PJ show since Halloween 2000 at the Shoreline. But I brought my brother who lost his PJ Live virginity last night. Great show for him to have done so. I was on floor halfway back on Stone side. Everyone was pretty cool except for the idiots who pushed their way right in front of us and stopped in like a 6 inch gap after we had stood their all night. I must admit I was a little dissapointed in crowd energy. We were jumping around like crazy and everyone else kind of stood there. But the band were incredible.
    Current hierarchy
    1)Vitalogy
    2)VS
    3)No Code
    4)Avocado
    5)Yield
    6)Ten
    7)Binaural
    8)Riot Act
  • Options
    DercheefDercheef Germany Posts: 732
    Oversize wrote:

It wasn't Lance since he is at the Tour de France right now.

edit:sorry, someone already pointed that out.
    2006:Arnhem,Bern,Berlin
    2007:München,Düsseldorf,Nijmegen
    2008:NY1,NY2,Mansfield1,Mansfield2
    2009:London,Rotterdam,Berlin,Manchester,London
    2010:NY1,NY2,Dublin,Belfast,Berlin
    2011:PJ20,Montreal,TorontoI+II,Hamilton
    2012:Amsterdam I+II, Prague, Berlin I+II, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen
    2013: Phoenix, San Diego, LA I+II, Oakland
    2014: Amsterdam I+II, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: Philly I+II, MSG I+II
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    Fun show but it was probably the weakest of the 3. The first 2 shows seem to kind of work off each other. This show however seemed slightly detatched from the other 2. I was really hoping for Immortality last night. Also I'm surprised we didn't get Black, Jeremy, Porch, Daughter and Elderly at least once. When was the last time Black wasn't played for 3 consecutive shows? On the positive it was good to hear Red Mosquito, MFC, In Hiding and Down. All Along The Watchtower was also a great surprise. The balcony and the back of the floor seemed a lot less into this show than the first 2. Yet up front seemed a little more crazy. All in all I would probably give this show a B+ with Sunday getting an A and Saturday an A-.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    lastexit78 wrote:
    Fun show but it was probably the weakest of the 3. The first 2 shows seem to kind of work off each other. This show however seemed slightly detatched from the other 2. I was really hoping for Immortality last night. Also I'm surprised we didn't get Black, Jeremy, Porch, Daughter and Elderly at least once. When was the last time Black wasn't played for 3 consecutive shows? On the positive it was good to hear Red Mosquito, MFC, In Hiding and Down. All Along The Watchtower was also a great surprise. The balcony and the back of the floor seemed a lot less into this show than the first 2. Yet up front seemed a little more crazy. All in all I would probably give this show a B+ with Sunday getting an A and Saturday an A-.

Man, I don't know where the fuck you were last night. This was my 32nd pj show lifetime and 10th this year. It is easily one of my favorite 2 or 3 shows, and I've been to Seatt'e 2000, MSG 2003, and last year at the Gorge. Last night's setlist was absolutely fucking amazing! A cvery special night, and the band knows it. You could see it in there faces, they were really taken back by the raw emotion and excitement in the crowd.
    tacos
  • Options
    Bird888Bird888 Posts: 99
    I'll probably post more later, but my random thoughts:

Thanks to all the cool people my sons and I met on our mini road trip (SB to SF...4 shows)
    Sat in the balcony with 4 great guys from Sacramento...we all rocked and had a great time. My sons were 3rd row Stone side on the floor and loved it.
    Much floor energy for the 1st 10 rows, but the rest of the floor wasn't all that bad...
    I loved this night's setlist. For me, this show was tied with night 1, slightly ahead of night 2
    Oh well, back to the sweltering heat and humidity of goold ole Virginia

Thanks again SF, one cool city, you were the perfect host for a great bonding time for me and my teenage sons.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
    slide in sideways, BBQ sandwich in one hand, cold beer in the other,
    body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "Woo Hoo what a
    ride" ! Unknown

• Options
    MY TOP FIVE:

Release
    Simply put, this is one of the most pure and emotionally fueled rock and roll songs of all time. I’ll defer all of you to Toshala’s post on page two of this thread. The song's ability to conjure up feelings and memories of love and perseverance is paralleled only by the U2 "Joshua Tree" album. It is THE reason the some of the most dedicated of Pearl Jam fans fell in love with the band back in 1991*. LET US NOT FORGET how superficial and cerebral most of mainstream was music back in 1991. Now put this song in the mix. Bold, passionate, groundbreaking. It was a perfect opener to the evening.

Red Mosquito
    It’s hard to imagine any of their songs not being epic, but - SORRY - this one never felt golden to me. That is, until last night.

Eddie introduced this song by saying something along this lines of "This was written in a San Francisco hotel room on a bad day." Boy do I feel like a HORSE'S PATOOKEY for not knowing this song is about the Golden Gate Park debacle back in 1995?!?!!!!! Being at that show, and a bit disheartened by it (eventhough I DO love Neil), it was purging to hear this song, and learn it's meaning on Tuesday.

Watchtower
    Anytime the boys cover a Dylan song you know it’s going to be off the hook. I came into the evening hoping to hear “Masters of War” but I’ll definitely settle with this. Wholly crap what a show! Eddie introduced this song saying “This feels like a San Francisco song… I think we’re going to play the shit out of it.” (something like that). Sonic Youth’s Lee Ranaldo making a guest appearance and everything else you’ve already heard…. Actually, maybe you haven’t heard it... Here’s the order of events after the song:

Mike McCready threw his guitar straight up into air like a rocket, 10-15 then maybe 20 feet into the air multiple times. Then he smashed it on his amp and then on the floor, breaking a portion of the neck off. He the proceeded to catipult it off the stage to his right. Impressed by this, Eddie came running over, and followed the guitar's flight off stage. He returned to the stage with the guitar's now-mangled torso, and slid it into the center of the stage, got a running start and tried to surf on it skimboard style. He made it all of about a foot before tumbling ass over shoulders at Stone Goassard’s feet. All in all it had to have been the best circus act I've ever seen the band do.

One question for all you Vedheads out there: HOW OFTEN DO THEY PLAY THIS SONG? ? ? ? It felt like we were getting a rare treat, partially because I could tell Eddie was reading the lyrics at his feet.

Crazy Mary
    I had no idea this song could rock the way it did. Well over ten minutes of ass-kicking. As you have probably already read, at the center of attention was Boom. His organ playing took that song to another level that I don’t think anybody in the audience could have anticipated. After about ten minutes of just straight ass-kicking (you could tell Boom was a little tired, and rightfully so) Mike McCready walked over to his side of the stage and they proceeded to find a way to kick even more ass. It was almost as if Mike was working him, forcing him to give yet another mile after running a marathon. And what we got was one of the highlights of the night: A Mike and Boom free jam. After the song was over the masses yelled “Boom!!” . In response Boom jiggled his hands to show how exhausted he was, pointed at Mike McCready and smiled at him as if to say “fuck you!”

NOW, I can see that everyone on this list before me is toasting Boom on Crazy Mary as the highlight of the night. Given that the man seemed to single-handedly sent the entire audience into outer space… But… it was another song that did send the audience – and the band - into complete rapture…

Evenflow
    All present at the third San Francisco show may have been privy to THE BEST VERSION EVER of this timeless epic. All you bootleg addicts, give this version a listen and I DARE YOU to tell me you disagree.

The song, like the other highlights of the night, went on for well over ten minutes. McCready and Cameron both took solos that blew the roof off. Upon returning from flight, Eddie took the mic and pointed it towards the audience. The audience responded in force singing an entire verse of the song in one overpowering, united mantra. Eddie was literally taken aback by it. He was loving it! When the song concluded the whole band paused for almost a minute as if trying to take in what had just happened. When Eddie finally returned to the mic stand, I swore he was going to say “That may have been the best version of that song we’ve ever done.” But he paused, and, perhaps considering the magnitude of such a statement, settled for "That was pretty fucking awesome."

You bet your ass it was.

Pearl Jam: my amazing friends, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I’d love to follow you on tour, but fatherhood beckons. Keep fighting the good fight. I’ll never miss another Bay Area show as long as I live. And when you come back, please come back to The Bill Graham, that place was made for you!!!

ds

*Ok, that and the group's ability to kick serious ass. I think Bono would be the first to admit: U2 can't rock like this!
    Oakland Coliseum 97
    LA Forum 98
    Bridge School 2001
    Shoreline 2003
    SF Bill Graham 2006 x2
    "What chance does Gotham have when the good people do nothing?"
  • Options
    iwasthere wrote:
    Man, I don't know where the fuck you were last night. This was my 32nd pj show lifetime and 10th this year. It is easily one of my favorite 2 or 3 shows, and I've been to Seatt'e 2000, MSG 2003, and last year at the Gorge. Last night's setlist was absolutely fucking amazing! A cvery special night, and the band knows it. You could see it in there faces, they were really taken back by the raw emotion and excitement in the crowd.

I guess it all depends on what you want from the band. For me the first 3 (Ten, Vs, Vitalogy) will always be my favorites. I know that makes me an outcast on this board but it's the opinion of probably 80% of the crowds at most shows. Sure it's awesome when then break out In Hiding or Red Mosquito but for most people in the building it's just another song. You don't think replacing Unemployable, Big Wave, Why Go & Leash with Jeremy, Black, Porch and Immortality would have made this a better set? If your going to play 3 shows in one city shouldn't you at least break out some of your best songs once before you play other songs twice? That was my only issue with last night. With that said it's shows like last night that make the band as great as they are. If they stuck to hits and played to the casual fan they wouldn't be half the live band they are.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    sat in the balcony last night. wife and i were the last ones standing in our section - boo to all the fucking people who sat for 85% of the show and only stood for songs off of ten (actually, "boo" doesn't convey how i feel. maybe, "fuck you" would work better). the balcony was weak last night, at least in spots (not the first 5-10 rows). the floor looked crazy - wish i could have been down there, but after sunday on the floor, my wife (who is 5'5") wanted to have a view of the entire stage.

one way or the other, sick set from the boys last night. release, life wasted, hail hail, untitled, red mosquito, in hiding, down, why go, last exit, sotal, watchtower, ledbetter - all highlights. amazing energy from the band and much of the crowd.

did i mention watchtower? no really, did i mention the fact that they played watchtower? fucking sick.

edit: light years and big wave threw a wrench into the flow of the show early...other than that, unreal setlist.
    edit2: acoustic i am mine for the pre-set was un-fucking-believable. eddie was on fire.
  • Options
    JorBullJorBull Posts: 5
    I want to say thanks to the band for a great show......splendid setlist, guys....the sound was a little muddy, but you didn't build the auditorium, so not your fault....I was flying solo last night from over in Sactown, so I also want to thank the cool fans who took me into their brood....you know who you are, Matt!! CRAZY MARY....WOW!! If there's a better version out there, I've yet to hear it!!
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    lastexit78 wrote:
    You don't think replacing Unemployable, Big Wave, Why Go & Leash with Jeremy, Black, Porch and Immortality would have made this a better set?

No, not at all, except maybe adding Immortality, a personal favorite of mine.
    Umemployable is one of my favorites as well, Why Go is blistering this tour and makes Jeremy its bitch. :)

All in all, I am happy with the 3-show set in San Francisco, I think I will get them all. I haven't got a boot since Cleveland, and the PJ fire has rekindled a bit.
  • Options
    Amazing show. Crazy Mary brought the house down, I also enjoyed Alive, In Hiding, and Watchtower. I had a sweet position, on the part of the barrier that juts out into the pit. Wouldn't have traded that spot for anywhere else. People around me were cool. I know there were some assholes coming in from behind, but people were good about pointing them out to security.

Sonic Youth was excellent, best I've ever seen then (which has always been opening for somebody, I hope to change that). The new album, which I like a lot, seemed kind of mellow so I'm glad did a few more of those guitar freakout songs.

People up front, did you see just before PJ's set, security had to carry away a cup of piss? Someone near the front pissed in a cup, I think security gave him a talking to but I don't know if they removed him (assuming it's a him...it'd be pretty difficult otherwise).
    Eric
  • Options
    No, not at all, except maybe adding Immortality, a personal favorite of mine.
    Umemployable is one of my favorites as well, Why Go is blistering this tour and makes Jeremy its bitch. :)

All in all, I am happy with the 3-show set in San Francisco, I think I will get them all. I haven't got a boot since Cleveland, and the PJ fire has rekindled a bit.

There's no doubt that Why Go is amazing this tour. But with that said we had just heard it on Saturday. I've heard Jeremy once in the last 8 years and I haven't heard Immortality since 2000. If anything break out the alternate version of Jeremy they played in 95. I just need variety and with this band you kind of get spoiled after a while. Don't get me wrong I loved the show last night. I was just a little puzzled by the setlist. Mostly the songs that they chose to repeat when so many others were left out.
  • Options
    gmcabralgmcabral Posts: 50
    64 different songs with 17 repeated in 3 nights in SF!

Alive x3
    All Along the Watchtower
    American In Me
    Animal
    Army Reserve
    Betterman
    Big Wave x2
    Blood
    Bu$hleaguer
    Comatose x2
    Come Back
    Corduroy x2