Options

Why do we still get excited?

I was thinking about this the other day, why do we (I) still get excited to see PJ in concert? I have been following this band since 1992, seen 22 shows, have a corporate job, have a family, but still get as excited about a PJ show as I did when I was 18. I was talking to my dad last night and he could not believe I was still going to PJ shows. I am having difficulty articulating my thoughts and feelings about attending a PJ show. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    We are "alive"
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    Because it helps you to remember that your still alive. People tend to fall into the daily jaded routine of just going through the motions. Eat, sleep, work repeat etc...besides, what else is better to get excited about !
  • Options
    I'm like a kid on Christmas but I'm 42 years old!
    Flubby
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited September 2014
    Because PJ deliver \m/
    Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    For me, It's so much more than just seeing Pearl Jam!!
    When the band hits the road for a tour...
    I know I'm going to get to spend some QUALITY time
    with some of MY BEST FRIENDS that I've met thru the years at different shows!!
    It really does start when the tickets go on sale and the anticipation of finding out which friends are going to which shows.
    Then you start making your travel plans and working out where you're gonna stay, how you're going to get there & who you're going to see in each city!!
    As the tour gets closer, you can feel the excitement building and there are nights where I'm texting, tweeting or talking to 10 to 12 different people, all about our plans to get together while we're on the road!
    There really is NOTHING like being at a Pearl Jam show with friends who share your passion and love for the music.
    I'm so fortunate to be able to share these special times with the BEST people I've ever known!!

'96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    I've seen the band every year since 1995 and I also have friends and family ask me why I keep going. Because they make me SMILE!
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    To echo comments....there is the travel and friends component that people sometimes miss when you are explaining PJ to people. Also, people watch the same football teams week after week after week, year after year after year. You aren't going to see anything new from Peyton Manning, but there is still a ton of enjoyment seeing him slice up a defense.

If that doesn't work, build a spreadsheet or pie chart. Those can be helpful to articulate your point.
  • Options
    logan5ivelogan5ive Dallas, TX Posts: 458
    The music. The magic. The unknown.
    1993 - Dallas
    1995 - Red Rocks I & II | Austin
    1998 - St Louis | Kansas City | Dallas | Raleigh | Atlanta | Birmingham | Greenville | Knoxville | Virginia Beach
    2000 - New Orleans | Memphis | Nashville | Noblesville | Cincinnati | Columbus | Houston I & II | Dallas | Las Vegas | LA | San Diego | San Bernardino | Sacramento | San Francisco
    2003 - OKC | San Antonio | Houston | Dallas | Little Rock | Camden I & II | MSG I & II
    2004 - Boston I & II | St Louis
    2005 - Gorge | Vancouver | Kitchener | London | Hamilton
    2006 - Las Vegas | Gorge I & II | Honolulu
    2008 - MSG I & II
    2009 - Seattle I & II | Vancouver | Portland | ACL | Philly I-IV
    2010 - Kansas City | St Louis
    2011 - PJ20 I & II
    2013 - Wrigley | Dallas | OKC
    2014 - ACL I | Tulsa | Moline | St Paul | Milwaukee | Denver
    2022 - OKC
    2023 - FW I & II | Austin I & II
    2024* - Seattle I & II | Wrigley I & II
    [82*]
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Humans have a deep connection with live music - we have for millenia. It doesn't matter if it is something we have heard before; in fact, that sometimes makes it more enjoyable. The fact that we get to experience it with thousands of other people, some of whom we might be lucky enough to know, just makes it more magical.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I know when I'm looking forward to seeing PJ, I am so excited, it's like I'm seeing them for the first time. I think a lot of people have put into words what I'm feeling. And anticipating the show is all part of the excitement!! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

I know when I'm looking forward to seeing PJ, I am so excited, it's like I'm seeing them for the first time. I think a lot of people have put into words what I'm feeling. And anticipating the show is all part of the excitement!! :)

So true! I love the anticipation and planning out every detail.

But then there's that post tour depression that must be dealt with.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Because (for me, at least) it's like going to a family reunion. Seeing people that you haven't seen in a long time. Except you actually like the people that you are going to be hanging out with and the music is much, much better.

So jealous of those going out on the road in the next 4-5 weeks! Everybody have fun and be safe!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    There are so many reasons, but most of all I think it's connection...
    the music's meaning to our lives
    how we can apply the music to the moment
    the friendships we've made because of this band
    having the energy between us and the band be constantly reciprocated
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options

I know exactly what you mean about that "post tour depression". Somehow, it makes it all easier if you can share your feelings with others who totally understand!

"A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    action, people, freedom
  • Options
    They are the BEST live band on the planet.

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

I know exactly what you mean about that "post tour depression". Somehow, it makes it all easier if you can share your feelings with others who totally understand!

So be prepared for some tears of sorrow after lincoln! I'm glad we will be there together!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715

They are the BEST live band on the planet.

^^^^^^^^This
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    samjam said:

There are so many reasons, but most of all I think it's connection...
    the music's meaning to our lives
    how we can apply the music to the moment
    the friendships we've made because of this band
    having the energy between us and the band be constantly reciprocated

Well said. I think connection gets lost on a everyday level for a lot of people. Seeing Pearl Jam and all they stand for and have meant to so many people kinda makes you stand back hit the pause button and just live in the moment even if
    It's only for a few hours. It's definitely more than just seeing a band if you stop to think about it
  • Options
    Faithful_1Faithful_1 Glasgow Posts: 172
    I'm much the same as the OP.

I've got a "proper job", I'm married, have a kid, BUT as soon as European tour dates get announced I'm like a kid at Christmas. I'm immediately trying to look at logistics, flight prices, hotel deals, which shows my friends are going to...I can't help myself, it's an addiction.

I'm hoping once my little is a little older I'll do some US shows. To see them in the Garden would be my Holy Grail.
    SECC - Jun 03, 2000
    Leeds Festival - Aug 25, 2006
    Reading Festival - Aug 27, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    ISS Dome - Jun 21, 2007
    MEN - Aug 17, 2009
    Odyssey - Jun 23, 2010
    Wuhlheide - Jun 30, 2010
    MEN - Jun 20, 2012
    MEN - Jun 21, 2012
    Leeds - Jul 8, 2014
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited September 2014
    Because why wouldn't we? They're exciting shows. ;)

It's really just like any passion that someone has. People with serious hobbies don't tend to just drop them; their passion for their "hobby" often lasts their lifetime. Or the passion of an artist, a writer, a reader, someone who loves to dance, cook, drive fast cars, grow flowers, etc etc etc. Their passions may invoke different emotions or have different roots, but in the end it's the same idea - a connection to something that stirs your soul. If a person is lucky they have some kind of passion in life (or several). Ours, or one of ours, is music/live music, and/or Pearl Jam and what that entails internally and socially. Seems pretty normal to me. :) The people anyone should worry about are those who don't have a passion/hobby in life. I know a lot people like that, and they all seem kind of ultimately bored, even though they're really busy with stuff like work and family, etc.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    edited September 2014
    For me - it gives my family something to talk about and look forward to! I got into Pearl Jam because my Dad bought the Jeremy single because he bought the Jeremy single and I listed to three songs over and over until I got Ten and all of the albums since.

My Dad has been my concert buddy ever since I started going to shows. Our first Pearl Jam show together was in 2000 and he joined the 10c shortly after that and I was able to benefit from his membership by being his +1 on tours after.

Ever since my wife and I started dating she embraced my same passion and now I want to share the experience with her. I joined the 10c myself in order to get membership tickets and we'll be traveling to Cincy this week after traveling to Pittsburgh and Portland last year.

The Cincinnati show is going to be a family affair. My wife and I will be in GA, my Dad is taking my Mom and using his 10c tix, and my brother is going after snagging a solo seat by the stage on TM.

Sunday, my wife and I will be having dinner at my parent's house where I'm sure we'll re-live the show!
    Post edited by tribejammer05 on
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Show 52 for me in St. Louis.... It never gets old.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    iamloco724iamloco724 Brooklyn NY Posts: 1,441
    Because they are the best live band out there, because you never know what kind of set you are going to get, all these years later and it's still so fresh

I havnt been seeing them since the 90s due to my age but I've seen them alot in a short period of time, and I am not tired of them one bit
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432
    Three things in my mind:

1.) We love the band
    2.) whether you love the band or not, they're great shows = fun
    3.) Reminds you of your younger years (for most of us). I remember listening to Ten when I was 13. Who wouldn't want to be reminded of their younger years? Lots of great memories for a lot of us attached to their music.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Why do I still get excited:

Love the music and to have it played live by pj incredible.

Hearing thousands of others sing words to songs you love.

Being able to share it with someone.

Knowing hair on arms will stand up during intro music and then first cord.

Knowing you will love hearing many of your favorites.

Seeing the band smile and have a great time.

Don't come to my town so get to travel.

Turn back into a teenager.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Catharsis
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Escape
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/26/15 New York City
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    I personally get really excited for all concerts. They are fun and feed my music obsession. And Pearl Jam is the best of all live music. They put on the best show with the best music. So my excitement reaches maximum levels for PJ shows. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata