Options

INXS?

badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
Ok for us older members who are up there in age, any fans? Original INXS not that reality bullshit they did. That dude Michael hutchence had one hell of a voice. Band was pretty good, no?

Comments

• Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    Think Kick is an amazing album.

Not a huge fan but have several of the mid to late 80s albums. Was done with em when Suicide Blonde hit.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Kick was one of those first albums i listened to front to back, not just selective tracks.
    Got the miniseries on my DVR that just aired here... looking forward to checking it out.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3150144/
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I love them. Got a hrm, Greatest hits some time ago since I have Kick on vinyl and can't really listen to it. They were great. I also watched some live concerts on yoootoobe since I never got to see them live. Listened to them again just days ago.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    jamburger said:

Kick was one of those first albums i listened to front to back, not just selective tracks.
    Got the miniseries on my DVR that just aired here... looking forward to checking it out.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3150144/

I watched this on show time some time last week. It was a 2 part series. Was pretty good, the fucken guy looks a lot like Michael. Seriously, but it was pretty good movie.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    wore out my cassette tape of Kick.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    Amazing band - the original lineup. Michael's death still hits me in a bad way.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    They were REALLY GOOD live, especially on Listen Like Thieves tour. I had a really surreal experience sitting with the remaining members when they toured with Jon Stevens as their singer, and the Who's bass player John Entwistle had just died while the Who were on tour. I asked them if they thought the Who should continue touring, and ironically the drummer and bass player of INXS emphatically stated that "Of course not! The whole rhythm section is dead! How can they go on??" which I found so fascinating, given how many INXS fans felt the same way about them going on after Michael Hutchence's death. But they were really talented.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Not Enough Time
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    I love INXS
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Nami said:

wore out my cassette tape of Kick.

I had that cassette tape too :D

BB, I'm also a fan of their older stuff. Michael's voice matched his charisma. And their music just kicked ass.

One of my favorites is Mystify - this version at Wembley blows me the fuck away. Check out the crowd at 1:30.

Talk about 15 million hands upraised and opened towards the sky :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ5XQPi0Hf4
  • Options
    Wow...lots of parallels between him and Jagger.
  • Options
    Better singer than Jagger any day. Mick is a good showman, not much else.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I just see their authenticity and pure love for music and how they give it.

Plus the gyrations.
  • Options
    Michael Hutchence is on my mind since yesterday, I was watching a tv-series on Swedish public tv with actors playing all of INXS and giving their story. I had no idea for instance that Michael used to live in Hong Kong and spoke mandarin, but then again I don't know much about him. Been listening to INXS all day, again, the music never gets old.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    edited January 2015
    Big big fan from their second album Underneath The Colours, I have everyone of their albums up until Micheals death. I saw them on their Kick tour which so so good. I didn't think they top Listen Like Thieves but they certainly did with Kick. This what their manager Chris Murphy recalls what the record company said about the album KICK......

"They hated it, absolutely hated it. They said there was no way they could get this music on rock radio. They said it was suited for black radio, but they didn't want to promote it that way. The president of the label told me that he'd give us $1 million to go back to Australia and make another album."

Man were they ever wrong. One of the few bands on cassette you could listen from side 1 to side 2.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    What does "at 98 we all rotate" mean?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    They've been on my mind too lately, since the anniversaries of the releases of both Listen Like Thieves and Kick were about 2 weeks apart (so said an 80s music page I like on Facebook) and that was a little while ago. I started reading more about them on the net and looking at more videos... this is probably TMI but a funny interview I saw that wasn't that long before Michael died, the interviewer asked him what strange things fans had said or done, and he said he was somewhere and a female fan tried to lure him into a bathroom, said she had something to show him that he had to see. He said he was thinking "I'm pretty sure I've already seen whatever you want to show me..." but he went in anyway, she went in a stall while he stood outside, and she started to pee. She said "Do you hear that?" He said "What, you pissing?" She said "No, I'm playing "Mystify Me" with pee!" and sure enough, she was starting and stopping her pee flow in time with the rhythm of how the song goes!!! I SWEAR Michael Hutchence tells that story in an interview that is somewhere on youtube, one can only imagine the other things he saw/experienced!

My personal favorite story of someone else's involving Hutchence is this: I'm a giant, monstrous Clash fan, and I've heard this story told many times so it did happen: Joe Strummer ended up somewhere that INXS was during INXS's heyday, like at the same club or same hotel bar. INXS had a lot of respect for the Clash, and Joe Strummer and Hutchence ended up sitting at a table together for awhile. At some point in the middle of trying to talk, a bunch of female fans descended on Hutchence and it took awhile for him to be able to go back to talking to Strummer. Hutchence said to Strummer "I mean, you know how it is... being treated like a sex symbol and all..." and Strummer answered "No... no, I don't know. I've never been a sex symbol. Just a Voice of a Generation..." AWESOME!!!! (and so true!)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And just in case you aren't a Clash fan and Strummer's response sounds obnoxious, that really was the mantle he and the Clash were given by fans and the press. He was being ironic I'm pretty sure (he wasn't a pompous person at all).
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    JH6056 wrote: »
    And just in case you aren't a Clash fan and Strummer's response sounds obnoxious, that really was the mantle he and the Clash were given by fans and the press. He was being ironic I'm pretty sure (he wasn't a pompous person at all).

I'm a huge Clash fan too though never got to see them live. However, it's true what Joe said and has every right to say so.....he had that kind of mentality.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    g under p wrote: »
    JH6056 wrote: »

I'm a huge Clash fan too though never got to see them live. However, it's true what Joe said and has every right to say so.....he had that kind of mentality.

Peace

In a lot of the same ways PJ fans want to tell PJ members how much the music has meant to them and shaped their lives, one of my most treasured fan experiences was getting to tell Joe Strummer in person how much he and the Clash affected me and influenced who I am today. He took a new pint of Guinness from the collection of drinks that other fans had bought him (this was after a Joe Strummer and Mescaleros show in '99) and handed me a pint and said "Let's drink to that" :):) He and the Clash are to me what PJ is to most on this site.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    yes.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    AvardAvard Posts: 9
    All the INxS albums are being re released by SOUNDS OF VINYL in the UK. Time to replace my well worn SHABOO SHABBA
  • Options
    Avard said:

All the INxS albums are being re released by SOUNDS OF VINYL in the UK. Time to replace my well worn SHABOO SHABBA

Was just wondering about this.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Kick was one of the 1st albums I ever owned. I was 7 when it came out. My older cousin liked U2 and them at the time so that's how I got into them. Didn't have any other INXS albums until that reality series was on the air when I listened to their earlier albums.

Also, Don't Change is one of my top 10 songs of all time by anyone.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,528
    BB started this thread....and Horrible Crowes are carrying it on.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    One of my absolute favorite bands! Hutchence has one of the greatest voices of all time. Listen Like Thieves, Kick, and X is one hell of a trifecta of albums.
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Anybody remember a show on t.v. that David Navarro hosted,when the surviving members were looking and auditioning on t.v . for a new lead singer after Hutchence died? IMO there would never be any one that could even come close to filling those shoes.
  • Options
    I can't really believe that they carried on after Hutchence died. I wonder why.
  • Options
    bluegrace said:

I can't really believe that they carried on after Hutchence died. I wonder why.

Money
  • Options
    ^^but was there really that much money in it without Hutchence? I mean, did people really want to see them without him? I know I would never.