Options

Turntable issue

JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
I have a Stanton T.62 and a Shure SC35C cartridge....the needle calls for 4-5 Grams......I am playing at 2 grams....Will 2 grams hurt my record? Thank You

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    Only if it skids because there isn't enough tracking force. So probably not unless your turntable is subject to vibrations or bumping while it's playing. There are some who say that 4 - 5 grams, or even 3.5. is too much force anyway, and that is what could ruin your records. I personally have mine set at 2.8, and I'm comfortable with that. You might want to increase it to 3 or so if you want the best sound out of your system.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    KC225404KC225404 Posts: 27
    That's a DJ needle and 4-5 grams is very heavy. You can get an Audio Technica AT95 for pretty cheap- will sound much better and you won't ruin your records.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Only if it skids because there isn't enough tracking force. So probably not unless your turntable is subject to vibrations or bumping while it's playing. There are some who say that 4 - 5 grams, or even 3.5. is too much force anyway, and that is what could ruin your records. I personally have mine set at 2.8, and I'm comfortable with that. You might want to increase it to 3 or so if you want the best sound out of your system.

Thank You
  • Options
    KC225404 said:

That's a DJ needle and 4-5 grams is very heavy. You can get an Audio Technica AT95 for pretty cheap- will sound much better and you won't ruin your records.

Thank You