Options

Check out some of my Pearl Jam bass covers>

Hey everyone,
I recently did some PJ bass covers and was hoping you guys would check some out and tell me what you think

Leash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK-UpeK4XE

Hail, Hail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkh0J5CbV98

Alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0jEuE9Fsxg

Wash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn1w5A8S4EY

Dissident (on fretless)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyla_yVJADY

I have some more on my channel for anyone interested.

Thanks 10 Club!
2008 - Camden, NJ 1
2009 - Philadelphia, PA x4
2010 - Newark, NJ, New York City, NY x2
2012 - Philadelphia, PA
2013 - Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA x2, Hartford, CT
2016 - Philadelphia, PA x2, New York City, NY 2, Fenway 2

Comments

• Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    A little difficult for me to hear the bass but from what I can hear, good job.

What are you using in your bass rig?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Hey well done Nice Basses as well...a Couple of my Favourites to Rock out to on my Bass are Even Flow and Porch.
  • Options
    wall05wall05 Posts: 304
    Thanks guys!

@‌xtremehardy388 I was plugged directly into a usb converter and recorded the bass and video separately and just sync them up with the mp3 of the song after playing it. The reason why some may be hard to hear if you are listening out of your computer speakers is because I typically mix them so that they sound best with external speakers or headphones. If I make the bass too loud when listening from my computer speakers than the bass is overly boomy when coming out of external speakers or headphones and the mix goes downhill quick and becomes completely unlistenable.
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    Totally understand the mixing situation.
  • Options
    jasonrolfejasonrolfe Posts: 474
    Sounded really good. Clean and fluid playing. Enjoyed the videos.
    Noticed your Rush shirt in the Leash video. Have any Rush covers?
    2005: Kitchener / London / Hamilton | 2006: Toronto 1&2 | 2010: Hartford | 2011: Toronto 1&2 / Hamilton
    2013: London, Brooklyn 1&2 | 2014: Detroit | 2015: New York | 2016: Ottawa / Toronto 1 / Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Going off the T-shirt thing...is that a vintage Mankind Mick Foley t-shirt I see?
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @‌jasonrolfe Thanks so much! Here's one of my Rush covers. Geddy Lee will always be my ultimate bass hero.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s58lfziwZGo

I have a few others. My channel has 400+ videos, so there is a lot of stuff on there.

And it most certainly is @xtremehardy388 ! I also used to love the Hardy Boys! Thought they were so damn cool, hahaha
    Post edited by wall05 on
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    First off, love the Rickenbacker. Is that the Geddy Lee signature model? That's what I've been thinking of upgrading to.
    Secondly, the first video I watched (I think it was Leash), I thought that you had a style similar to Geddy. He's a finger picker, but he almost has an over reliance on his index finger (I can't believe the speed he gets with it) and I noticed you used your index primarily. I tend to go back and forth between index and middle.
    2005: Kitchener / London / Hamilton | 2006: Toronto 1&2 | 2010: Hartford | 2011: Toronto 1&2 / Hamilton
    2013: London, Brooklyn 1&2 | 2014: Detroit | 2015: New York | 2016: Ottawa / Toronto 1 / Wrigley 1
  • Options

First off, love the Rickenbacker. Is that the Geddy Lee signature model? That's what I've been thinking of upgrading to.
    Secondly, the first video I watched (I think it was Leash), I thought that you had a style similar to Geddy. He's a finger picker, but he almost has an over reliance on his index finger (I can't believe the speed he gets with it) and I noticed you used your index primarily. I tend to go back and forth between index and middle.

Thanks! Geddy doesn't have a signature Ric, but he does have a signature Fender. He used a Ric 4001. Mine is a 4003, but I removed the front pickup cover and it looks pretty much the same. Of course I got it in Jet Black as a nod to Geddy, haha.

I guess I never noticed my use of the index finger. I taught myself how to play so I never had someone to tell me the "correct" way to things. All I was concerned with was making sure it sounded right. I can't do his flamenco index finger technique though (like on songs like Animate)

He talks about it at around 2:50 of this video. I just can't get a hold on that technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv_HuCLhBZs
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    another *thumbs up* for the Rush shirt. Big fan here.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    wall05 said:

Thanks! Geddy doesn't have a signature Ric, but he does have a signature Fender. He used a Ric 4001. Mine is a 4003, but I removed the front pickup cover and it looks pretty much the same. Of course I got it in Jet Black as a nod to Geddy, haha.

Right, my mistake. It was the Geddy fender that I was looking at (a few months ago).

Take a listen to the YYZ bass track isolation. It's interesting to hear all the different bass tones. Seems like he switches between basses during the recording.
    http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/04/18/rush-yyz-geddy-lees-isolated-bass-isolated-bass-week/
  • Options
    edited July 2014

wall05 said:

Right, my mistake. It was the Geddy fender that I was looking at (a few months ago).

Take a listen to the YYZ bass track isolation. It's interesting to hear all the different bass tones. Seems like he switches between basses during the recording.
    http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2012/04/18/rush-yyz-geddy-lees-isolated-bass-isolated-bass-week/
    I honestly don't think that is actually Geddy's bass track. I think it's just a fan and they labeled it like that to get more views. The end run is a dead give away in my opinion. Still a solid job by them. I could be wrong though. Btw, is your avatar a picture of you with Lifeson? If so that is AWESOME!

And thanks @BinFrog!
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    Yes it is!

• Options

Yes it is!

Awesome! So jealous of that, lol!
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    I picked up the Geddy signature jazz. Love it!
    I asked about the Ric, and it's a 24 months back order!!! You're very lucky to have one.
  • Options
    What's in your bass rig?
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I picked up the Geddy signature jazz. Love it!
    I asked about the Ric, and it's a 24 months back order!!! You're very lucky to have one.

(2 and a half months later, haha...) I've had the ric for about 4 years now. It's honestly pretty one dimensional with the tones it can get. Love it for some stuff, but it could never be my go to bass. The geddy lee jazz basses are pretty sweet though! I've played them a few times and they always play and sound very nice.

What's in your bass rig?

In these videos all I'm using is the bass plugged directly into my computer using a usb converter. I record the bass into garageband and then overlap the bass audio with the mp3 of the song I'm covering and synch them up to the video I record. I have a small Orange amp I keep at my apartment and a larger Ampeg I keep at my friends house where I play a good amount. If use pedals (which is rare) I'll use a EBS Octabass (octave pedal), Big Muff Pi (distortion), and a source audio envelope filter.
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA
  • Options
    That's awesome! My buddy uses an EBS octabass and loves it!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

That's awesome! My buddy uses an EBS octabass and loves it!

They're definitely awesome. I basically got one cause Mike Gordon from Phish uses that one so I figured if it was good enough for him then it must kick ass, lol! Here's a video where I use it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFPfGWWdVjg
    Post edited by wall05 on
    2008 - Camden, NJ 1
    2012 - Philadelphia, PA