Options

Jack White's Lazaretto beats Pearl Jam's 20 year old vinyl sales record

2»

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    edited June 2014
    Maybe someone has said this already, but who cares? If you like both artists, it's ok. There's plenty of music for all different walks of life. I equate these types of arguments to who has a bigger johnson? Or who has the lowest ten club number making them the best fan? I admittedly haven't listened to as much of Jack's stuff, but have liked what I have heard. It's all about the music in the end isn't it? Ok, so anyone reading this that is a Jack White die hard. List me some of the must hear stuff for me to check out, since I am a little late to the party.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060

jamburger said:

How many of those 40k units were multiple copies purchased simply because of the gimmicks? A second color option... hidden tracks... holograms... etc.

This to me is like breaking Hank Aaron's homerun record. A juiced up slab of vinyl.

Vitalogy was released on vinyl two weeks before CD, while Lazaretto was released on vinyl, cd, and mp3 the same day. I'd say Pearl Jam got a great edge in that respect and the very reason they had the record for so long.

With this all being said, I should be defending my favorite PJ album and one of my favorite albums of all time haha, but I think Jack White is doing great things for vinyl.
    vinyl to vinyl though, he sold more than vitalogy, it was 40,000 vinyl and 138,000 total copies (less than lightning bolt's total).

he is doing great things for vinyl. as much as pearl jam profess a love of vinyl, they don't do even 10% of the awesome stuff jack white does for the format. they need to collaborate badly on a project with third man. i believe mike mccready is a JW fan, so there's the in.

"If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823
    ^^^^^^ yes, yes, yes!!!!
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,853
    Jack white is an asshole.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    quimby20quimby20 Posts: 823

Jack white is an asshole.

and you base this on personal experience?
  • Options
    shep said:

"handily"? 40K>34K, yes. but rock god? reading the article, it looks like spin needs to spit that white out... 20 years ago, sales of vinyl were on life support, lest we forget? spin does mention the "ongoing vinyl revival", yet stands by white's holiness? ok b-(

I'll stand by his holiness... everything the man touches turns to gold.

If you haven't seen him live since the white stripes ended - go do it. you will understand what spin is talking about. I was never a white stripes fan - got into jack white from the dead weather and the raconteurs.... but I have been completely converted.

The man is rock royalty. If you refuse to accept it, you've got your head up your ass.

all that being said...

I like the new album... but I am dying for a new raconteurs record... by far my favorite project of his... wish he'd take that vehicle out of the garage.
    head up my ass? =)) thanks for helping me figure that out!

and, might i add, very eloquently put.
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    don't hate the player, hate the game
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    I think this is awesome. Jack White is pretty much the king of vinyl, with so much innovation (even though it does get too gimmicky sometimes, which I'm not into). Obviously the public is really catching on to how cool JW vinyl can be. I wish PJ would get more into his mindset when it comes to their vinyl. For me, it would make little sense if what is probably Jack White's most unique and innovative piece of vinyl so far didn't break this record, especially since the regular version is not limited, and vinyl is currently making a come back (it's kind of a silly record anyway btw, if it only counts vinyl sales since 1991 and considering the vinyl market since then.... if it weren't for this thread I would have gone the rest of my life not knowing PJ or anyone else ever held this record).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,904

Jack white is a talented, rich asshole.

Fixed
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    My only gripe with Jack White is that he is playing Fenway this year and Pearl Jam isn't. The nerve.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    I love that he actually makes his vinyl records affordable, too. I'm really getting sick of "the $40 LP."
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

I love that he actually makes his vinyl records affordable, too. I'm really getting sick of "the $40 LP."

^^^ This. Absolutely. Vinyl releases don't have to be special, limited, collector releases. Release those for people who collect them, but release a standard version as well for those of us who just want to play music at home on the turntable.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,904

Yes! I thought that Ultra LP was going to be at least $30 and more towards $40.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    jeffbr said:

^^^ This. Absolutely. Vinyl releases don't have to be special, limited, collector releases. Release those for people who collect them, but release a standard version as well for those of us who just want to play music at home on the turntable.
    The sad part is that I was referring to standard issues.

• Options
    GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    edited June 2014
    youtube.com/watch?v=AJgY9FtDLbs
    Jack White is a cool dude.
    If the link works it's Conan O'Brian talking to Mr.White for over an hour. At about 44 minutes Jack speaks about Third Man Records and the availability of Vinyl.
    TLDR
    Jack White believes nothing should ever be out of print.
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    GustieIII said:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJgY9FtDLbs
    Jack White is a cool dude.
    If the link works it's Conan O'Brian talking to Mr.White for over an hour. At about 44 minutes Jack speaks about Third Man Records and the availability of Vinyl.
    TLDR
    Jack White believes nothing should ever be out of print.

Except for all of the Ltd editions and Vaults that he's released I guess? ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231

Except for all of the Ltd editions and Vaults that he's released I guess? ;)

Precisely. For example, Ten should be available, Coke Bottle Ten is a collectors piece and by nature limited in its availability. :D
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    I've just listened to Lazaretto for the first and second times - to be honest I couldn't tell you what any of the songs sounded like. I've been a JW fan since White Blood Cells and I've never had this feeling before. Usually his records hit me right from the start but I'm pretty disappointed with this one, there's nothing memorable for me so far.

I'll give it a few more plays over the next few days and hope it's going to be a grower...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    PJ_Soul said:

I think this is awesome. Jack White is pretty much the king of vinyl, with so much innovation (even though it does get too gimmicky sometimes, which I'm not into). Obviously the public is really catching on to how cool JW vinyl can be. I wish PJ would get more into his mindset when it comes to their vinyl. For me, it would make little sense if what is probably Jack White's most unique and innovative piece of vinyl so far didn't break this record, especially since the regular version is not limited, and vinyl is currently making a come back (it's kind of a silly record anyway btw, if it only counts vinyl sales since 1991 and considering the vinyl market since then.... if it weren't for this thread I would have gone the rest of my life not knowing PJ or anyone else ever held this record).

Unfortunately if PJ does do something cool like this ala Sevens, BS White, the fans yell "cash grab"!!!
  • Options
    korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 929
    Tempo- Sevens, white BS, red LB, coke Ten were all "limited" so of course all the flippers jumped on them knowing there wouldnt be enough to go around. With Lazaretto every copy had all the bells and whistles...
    plenty of supply to meet demand = no flippers = no cash grab
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    I dig what Jack is doing. I'm not the biggest fan of all his work but he is making music buying fun in the digital age!

Now...Are we sure that pearl jam are still waving the "viva la vinyl" flag? They were back in the day, but maybe since it's become a little more trendy these days they've cooled on that stance. I dunno.