Options

Multiple Night Setlist in a City

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Anyone have any idea on how much PJ swithces up the playlists during a 2 night run? I fully realise that many of the songs off the new album are going to make it on twice, as I'm sure they are excited to play the new material.

We're not all lucky enough to hit up multiple shows, so maybe there is a fair amount of tunover of the fans attending.

Not to bitch in any way, it just seems that this far into their career they could mix it up quite a bit? Or am I really off base? After all, the band can do whatever they like. I'm just happy to be there....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rocket70 wrote:
    Anyone have any idea on how much PJ swithces up the playlists during a 2 night run? I fully realise that many of the songs off the new album are going to make it on twice, as I'm sure they are excited to play the new material.

We're not all lucky enough to hit up multiple shows, so maybe there is a fair amount of tunover of the fans attending.

Not to bitch in any way, it just seems that this far into their career they could mix it up quite a bit? Or am I really off base? After all, the band can do whatever they like. I'm just happy to be there....

The sets are most definitely different, however, there are quite a few of the songs (both old and new) that make it both nights. Just check the setlist archive:
    http://www.pearljam.com/tour/shows.php
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Check the repeats from toronto, albany and hartford. Not even counting the new songs, they are playing alot of the same stuff.

Not that I'm bitching, im still seeing allof the first leg except chi-town!
  • Options
    rm2003rm2003 Posts: 4
    You are going to get

WWS, Servered Hand, Wasted Life, Marker in the Sand, Evenflow, Do the Evolution, Maybe Alive or Betterman.

Everything else should be different. I would be surpised if the ended with Ledbetter again
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    rssesq wrote:
    Check the repeats from toronto, albany and hartford. Not even counting the new songs, they are playing alot of the same stuff.

Not that I'm bitching, im still seeing allof the first leg except chi-town!

hmmm ... not sure how much changing up you think is a lot. I'd say if 50 percent of a show is different from the night before, that's pretty good.

Toronto 2 featured 30 songs. A whopping 18 of them were not played at Toronto 1. Of the 12 repeats, almost half (five) were new songs.

The only non new songs that were played both nights were Betterman, E-Flow, Corduroy, DTE, Jeremy, Alive, and Ledbetter.

I don't know that you could really ask for more than that.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Pearl Jam has over 125 original songs. They ARE the best live act going...but think of the potential. Looking at Toronto the repeated non avocado songs were:

Even Flow
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Jeremy
    DTE
    Alive

YL to close is a almost a given.

In the end, I certainly would consider myself fortunate to attend any 2 night run by my favorite band.
  • Options
    rocket70 wrote:
    Pearl Jam has over 125 original songs. They ARE the best live act going...but think of the potential. Looking at Toronto the repeated non avocado songs were:

Even Flow
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Jeremy
    DTE
    Alive

YL to close is a almost a given.

In the end, I certainly would consider myself fortunate to attend any 2 night run by my favorite band.

well, they aren't gonna play 125 different orinigal songs in a tour ... I think they're doing a pretty good job as is. I mean, you have to expect them to play a few old standards every night, right?

Anyway ... I went ahead and did the math for Albany and Hartford, even though they weren't back-to-back in the same city.

Hartford featured 25 songs total. 16 of them were not played the night before in Albany. Of the nine repeats, over half (five) were new songs. The "old standard" repeats were DTE, Even Flow, Alive, and Why Go.

Unless I misses it (which is possible), Betterman was not played both nights, nor was Corduroy or YL.
  • Options
    well, they aren't gonna play 125 different orinigal songs in a tour ... I think they're doing a pretty good job as is. I mean, you have to expect them to play a few old standards every night, right?

I agree completely, and to think otherwise is to live in fantasy land. If i were a casual fan and caught only one show which was all b-sides, i would probably think that Pearl Jam was lame. For the folks on this board however...that kind of show would be an entirely different experience!
  • Options
    rocket70 wrote:
    I agree completely, and to think otherwise is to live in fantasy land. If i were a casual fan and caught only one show which was all b-sides, i would probably think that Pearl Jam was lame. For the folks on this board however...that kind of show would be an entirely different experience!

yeah, we gotta remember that PJ isn't just playing for the dude who has been to 83 shows and is sick of EvenFlow.

In fact, if I ever get to the point where I just can't STAND E-Flo (or Betterman or Corduroy) like some of the folks on this board, I'm going to stop going to shows and buying boots. They're all good songs. If they're "overplayed" -- well, then that's my own fault.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    yeah, we gotta remember that PJ isn't just playing for the dude who has been to 83 shows and is sick of EvenFlow.

In fact, if I ever get to the point where I just can't STAND E-Flo (or Betterman or Corduroy) like some of the folks on this board, I'm going to stop going to shows and buying boots. They're all good songs. If they're "overplayed" -- well, then that's my own fault.

Some of these songs are played at nearly every show precisely because they are so good. E-flo is a total McCready showcase (and sometimes a Matt Cameron showcase), Corduroy and DTE are just PJ classics that I do not get sick of. The first four songs on Avocado are just so damn awesome that they deserve to be there night in-night out.
    As much as I love it when things get really mixed up from night to night, every single band has staples. How many shows are we in, six? And already they have played 53 PJ originals, by my count, including 11 new songs. Holy shit. No other mainstream rock band does this sort of thing. A band like Radiohead (whom I really like, by the way) plays 40-50 songs over the course of an entire tour. I wouldn't be surprised to see PJ at around 80 or so originals by tour's end, perhaps more if they get really crazy.
  • Options
    perhaps more if they get really crazy.

which tends to happen as tours go along.

In '03, songs like "Deep," "Glorified G," and "Blood" became "staples" at different intervals.

They will certainly break out some more "where the hell did that come from" songs as the tour goes along.