Options

In Hiding?

SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
I feel weird even posting this, but can I just ask.. where are all the Pearl Jam fans? I rarely meet any new fans. I also rarely hear new bands citing them as an influence.

This recent post on the form sums it: Yeah, most of my friends have never heard "Sirens". In terms of "general Pearl Jam" knowledge, they still only know "Jeremy" or "Alive" (and I live in Seattle!).

Aw, maybe it's not important, I just expected something different. So are they irrelevant, still got it, or who cares? No better people to chat with about this than you, the forum faithful. Thanks.
90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!

Comments

• Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    edited June 2014
    Sometimes I wish I had never heard Pearl Jam...just so I could remember what it felt like to hear them for the first time.

But 20+ years and 70+ shows later, I still get that feeling when they release a new song or the lights go down and they walk out on to the stage.
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    I run into this a lot too. I tell people I'm listening to the new album or that I'm going to a PJ concert and they act surprised that they are still around. It seems there are us die hards and the people that think Vitalogy was their last album.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746

But 20+ years and 70+ shows later, I still get that feeling when they release a new song or the lights go down and they walk out on to the stage.

That feeling when the lights go down and they come out on stage is incredible.....also love the anticipation in the arena right before the lights go down.

To answer the OP's question....I don't think they are irrelevant. They can play arenas/stadiums pretty much anywhere in the world....not many bands can say that.
  • Options
    Those other people just DON"T GET IT
  • Options
    alizmializmi Baltimore...MD Posts: 196
    Its something that can't be explained. Sometimes while driving, a song comes on PJ radio and I literally can tear up. Crazy how the music can get me like that still after this long. The words, the meaning, the emotion is indescribable to those that don't listen...
  • Options
    bethwalker1987bethwalker1987 Washington Posts: 122
    edited June 2014
    you'll find a great forum on Facebook too, us ladies discuss Eds boner ALL the time, so much fun there!!!! :x :D
  • Options
    AponeApone Posts: 578
    Not sure where the OP resides, but this is even more common in the UK.

Totally echo the comments above about that feeling when the band walk onstage. It's not matched anywhere else for any other band.

Me and a mate were at Manchester 1 in 2012 and both agreed we had never felt an excitement or anticipation for a show in the crowd waiting for the band to come on like there was that night.

The band are just incredible and one of a kind.
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    SoybeansSoybeans Posts: 245
    Apone said:

Not sure where the OP resides, but this is even more common in the UK.

Thanks for the heartfelt responses. Its all a great reminder of what I still love about the band, but it makes even more confusing because I know the quality that this band portrays.

I am in the northeast US. Where, perhaps, their greatest concentration of fans exist. I'm basing that on the last 10 year's of sold out shows and frequency of performances. Still barely any fans around in general.
    90 shows and counting...some of my favs: Randall's Island night 2, Milwaukee '95 night 2, Hawaii '06, St Johns '05, PJ20!
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    I live in the UK where they can sell out Arenas in minutes. They're a massive band. But they have decided not to be a Foo Fighters mainstream type band, and I am glad for that! I love the Foos, but I actually don't want everyone to be into them -- They are perfect just as they are.
    Best band in the World - and everyone who discovers them (or re discovers them) finds that too!!
    At Milton Keynes Bowl (where there were about 45k people) I was next to a couple in their 50's who had not heard anything but TEN (which they loved -- Black in particular!) and saw they were playing this gig and thought wow, they're still going , let's go....
    When Black came on at song 4 the lady hugged me like an old school fan!
    When the show was over , they both said they were blown away -- they were kind of speechless....

I think the reason they are a bit underground (and I think of them as the biggest cult band on the planet) is because they chose that road back in the very early days... Pulling back from videos and promotion... And then making all those incredible records that radio doesn't play....

Does that put me in the who cares section? They are as good as ever for me -- Just a perfect band..!
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    I think there's more of us out there than we think. Just the other day a very nice gentleman approached me outside Starbucks and struck up a conversation about the awesomeness of pj after he saw the stickers on my car. The barista overheard us and said she's a fan too. I've been going to that Starbucks regularly forever and know her by first name but we never talked about pj. It was a cool day bc I also called a new client for work and their ring back tone was Yellow Ledbetter
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    i was eating lunch at a Buffalo Wild Wings a few days ago and 'You' came on their sound system. i don't think anyone in the restaurant recognized the song or the artist except for me. At least I'd like to think that. I couldn't help but think to myself "these people are either not paying attention or they just don't know what a good song sounds like". Anyway, it was nice to know that this excellent PJ rarity got played in a mainstream restaurant.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    alizmi said:

Its something that can't be explained. Sometimes while driving, a song comes on PJ radio and I literally can tear up. Crazy how the music can get me like that still after this long. The words, the meaning, the emotion is indescribable to those that don't listen...

Betterman and Corduroy can make me tear up in the car. Theres something about those two songs particularly the studio versions.
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    I'm in France...never heard PJ on radio since RVM !!! this period was great. RHCP, RATM, PJ, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins...all on the radio. Now it sucks...I'm sure i'm the only pj fan in this town ! Mentality is so different from then
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    marilor said:

I'm in France...never heard PJ on radio since RVM !!! this period was great. RHCP, RATM, PJ, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins...all on the radio. Now it sucks...I'm sure i'm the only pj fan in this town ! Mentality is so different from then

marilor, I'm going to be in France in two weeks, but sadly not in your area. Too bad - there could have been another pj fan in your town for a meeting of the minds.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    Most people are not hardcore music fans like us. They may listen to quite a bit of music but its the flavor of the day stuff. They listened to pj in the beginning because everybody did but once pj dropped out of the limelight so did the casual fan. We must all take solace in the fact that we connected deeply with this band and that there is just enough of us to keep them motivated to keep on making music. Well done PJ people. Well done.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, I'm hard pressed in my day to day life to find anyone who knows anything about Pearl jam beyond their first three albums... but then I go to the shows and there are all the hard core fans! :) PJ has a lot of fans all over the world... but not a lot compared to the world's population, lol. There are many of us, but we are scattered far and wide. That is what this message board and fan club is for - so we can find one another in a big world and come together for the shows and to share our understanding of one another. :)

And yes, as the above post noted, we are the music weirdos, lol. Most people do not feel as strongly about music in general as most of us music freaks do, let alone about any bands in particular. In fact, most of the people I know 'IRL' don't even listen to music on a daily basis at all unless it's indifferently on their car radio! More often than not i have to ask my friends to put on some music when i go visit them! Wtf??? It's nuts. And they almost never go to concerts either. They are missing out. I can't imagine living such a music-less existence, and I don't want to, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    drew76drew76 Posts: 18
    People just don't get it. In 2005, on Sep 19, I went to see PJ in Toronto at ACC with my gf at the time who was 24 but was in University with kids that were like 19. A classmate asked my gf "what are you doing tonight?" She said "going to Pearl Jam" Her mate said "What's that?" She replied " It's Pearl Jam" her mate said "What's that?" She replied " I'm no longer talking to you" and walked away.......
    Toronto - 05
    Toronto1- 06
    Toronto - 09
    Toronto1,2 -11
    Hamilton -11
    London -13
    Philly1,2 -13
    Toronto 1,2 - 16
    Hamilton - 22
    Toronto - 22
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    PJ is headlining Austin City Limits (ACL) this October. The other headliners are Lorde, Skrillex, Foster the People, Lana Del Rey, Calvin Harris and Eminem. That's some awesome company!

I say that PJ is like the Graetful Dead unfortunately… I get it now because I HATED the dead back in the day. But they are in a good way. Different jams every single night. They sell out arenas and are still talked about. This band is now the Rolling Stones of our generation. We need to accept this, it is what it is…

People don't understand the beauty of Yield and No Code because they only hear Jeremy and Daughter…

It's a tough pill to swallow but this is an end of an era...

• Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,934
    Its great to choose something in this life instead of having it forced upon you via radio and music TV.
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    edited July 2014
    My wife was not really into Pearl Jam when we first met although she was huge into Nirvana (even got 3 days of "sick time" by her parents from school when Kurt died). Anyway fast forward 11 years and EV is singing our wedding song, Just Breathe was sung to our son every night for over a year while putting him down and she can't wait til we hit Denver for her 10th show. You have to be willing to hear Pearl Jam, not assume you know their music. And we are weirdos as one person pointed out. I never thought liking Pearl Jam would make me weird but if I ask my 10 closest friends what their favorite band was I'd get 10 different answers. If I asked them again a year later I'd get 10 different answers. It feels good that you've loved something for 20+ years, and they've never let you down, been embarrassed in public or private, the music is always great, sometimes odd and sometimes funny, but overall really, really good. And when you get that, I feel it says a lot about you. I mean seriously how can you have a favorite band every year? And that band is always the "it" band. At least lie to me and say Pink Floyd. I digress...
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618

marilor said:

marilor, I'm going to be in France in two weeks, but sadly not in your area. Too bad - there could have been another pj fan in your town for a meeting of the minds.
    It's a shame...another time maybe !!!
    :-h
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"