Options

WHAT TURNTABLE SHOULD I BUY?

Comments

• Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    I swear by Rega's as do many other threads on this topic around these parts. I'm actually looking to upgrade my TT to a higher model rega (RP3 or RP6) and might be selling my P1 with a glass planar.

If you do your research and decide on a Rega, PM and maybe we can strike a deal.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    scurtis said:

I've been into buying or getting old ones for free and then restoring them. Probably not as good as a new TT, but part of the fun for me. Just restored an old Dual.

In terms of new ones, I have always heard Rega was good, but I really don't know enough about TTs to make a recommendation.

But you restore them and can't comment?!? C'mon Man!!!

• Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432

scurtis said:

I've been into buying or getting old ones for free and then restoring them. Probably not as good as a new TT, but part of the fun for me. Just restored an old Dual.

In terms of new ones, I have always heard Rega was good, but I really don't know enough about TTs to make a recommendation.

But you restore them and can't comment?!? C'mon Man!!!

Haha i've never heard a new one. I have an old Dual and an old Technics. I've never looked at or heard a new turntable. For all I know I'm missing out, but for now ignorance is bliss.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    AO253126 said:

Is there anything you or anyone else would recommend reading about why/when to adjust tracking force? I bought the LP120 a few months ago, but have never adjusting anything after the initial setup/

Thanks.

Here is a fantastic read on all things LP Primer, including tracking force. Read this whole article.

http://www.harryshifi.com/images/vinyl_tutorial.pdf
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    evsgjamm said:

AO253126 said:

Is there anything you or anyone else would recommend reading about why/when to adjust tracking force? I bought the LP120 a few months ago, but have never adjusting anything after the initial setup/

Thanks.

Here is a fantastic read on all things LP Primer, including tracking force. Read this whole article.

http://www.harryshifi.com/images/vinyl_tutorial.pdf
    Thanks for the link! I'll give it a read later this week.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,474
    So, finally getting around to getting a new turntable....for those that have the Denon DP-300F, do you still like it, and do you use a pre-amp? I know this model has its own pre-amp, but I see reviews where some people continue to use an external preamp for better sound. is that true?

For those that dont have this model, is there something else you recommend?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    jbrowniejbrownie Posts: 135
    I've had a Bang & Olufsen Beogram RX2 Table for decades, thrown through a stack of Boston Acoustic speakers. Never any distortion save for the occasional pop on the old platters. Has always surfed every LP abnormality...until LB, LOL. There are plenty of vintage turntables to be had for cheap, and, yes, I know there are plenty more that would kick my ass.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    Vedd Hedd wrote: »
    So, finally getting around to getting a new turntable....for those that have the Denon DP-300F, do you still like it, and do you use a pre-amp? I know this model has its own pre-amp, but I see reviews where some people continue to use an external preamp for better sound. is that true?

had that Denon for a few years. Great TT. like others have said- upgrade the cartridge. I used a Shure but Ortofon and Grado are good as well. Only reason I sold mine was that I found a vintage table in an estate sale, otherwise would probably still be using it today.
    Also a tube preamp will make a huge difference.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166

I've been really happy with my Denon-300f. The sound quality is really good and I liked that it was an automatic (opposed to most of the low end audiophile tables which are all manual). When I bought the Denon every review said the stock cartridge blows. I ended up ordering mine online with an Orotofon Red Cartridge pre-installed so I can't comment on the stock cartridge. I do use a preamp but it's mostly out of being lazy. I had it there for my old table so I never bothered to turn on the Denon's. I probably should to see if the internal one sounds better. My external one isn't exactly high end.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165

I just got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC Esprit SB and love it! This guy: http://turntablelab.com/products/pro-ject-debut-carbon-dc-esprit-sb-turntable-white

I started by narrowing down to white turntables (for aesthetic reasons lol) then I read a ton of reviews. The Pro-Ject gets solid reviews, and I initially limited myself to $500 for the table. However, I went with this one which is a bit more because it came with a built-in speed box (no need to lift the platter to adjust the belt to spin 45s) and an acrylic platter (again more for aesthetics but it actually improves the sound quality and I no longer need a mat).

This is the same model for cheaper if you get it without the two add ons, which you can always get later: http://turntablelab.com/collections/pro-ject-alpha/products/pro-ject-debut-carbon-dc-turntable-white

In researching turntables online, I found this to be a good read: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    I have an old ProJect TT and I remember that it wasn´t a cheap one...
    Didn´t played it a lot for many years....anyways...really would like to know more about it but it only has a number on the bottom side and I can´t find more informations!
    I´ve surched on a German ProJet side but they only have newer ones there...so mine is at least 25 years old but in great condition and sounds great (to my ears)!
    Since I re-employ and bought more vinyls again I want to get it into motion...will get new speakers for my big boxes soon etc...
    Can someone please tell me how to find out which TT I own?
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    kce8 wrote: »
    I have an old ProJect TT and I remember that it wasn´t a cheap one...
    Didn´t played it a lot for many years....anyways...really would like to know more about it but it only has a number on the bottom side and I can´t find more informations!
    I´ve surched on a German ProJet side but they only have newer ones there...so mine is at least 25 years old but in great condition and sounds great (to my ears)!
    Since I re-employ and bought more vinyls again I want to get it into motion...will get new speakers for my big boxes soon etc...
    Can someone please tell me how to find out which TT I own?

Maybe contact the people at Pro-Ject? That's what I would do!
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Any audio vendor (who specialize in TT) should be a good starting point. I got my gear from Needledoctor. Great customer service and shop that actually pick up the phone.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Ok, thank you !
    It is just too late for today and I am just asking me why there isn´t another name or number on it.
    I thought there maybe would be another number anywhere and I just don´t know about...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    edited January 2015

Yes, I still love my Denon DP-300F very much, and no, I don't use an external preamp, and my system sounds really good. I do have the upgraded cartridge too (Ortofon), an excellent new Onkyo receiver, and good Klipsch speakers, which all also helps with the sound of course, but I have my receiver mode set to direct source, so the good sound quality is definitely very much coming from the TT (and cartridge) itself as well. But hey, no harm in trying an external preamp and seeing if it makes any difference to you. I am already very happy with the sound so wouldn't bother, but if I had a preamp lying around I'd certainly give it a shot just to see if I can notice a difference.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    I've heard decent things about this entry level plug and play unit, but haven't listened to it myself. I was considering getting one for a second player.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=elemental&cat=turntables&lang=en

1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    I have a Dual1264 that had been refurbished. The thing is a tank and suits my vinyl needs perfectly.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    I have a Dual1264 that had been refurbished. The thing is a tank and suits my vinyl needs perfectly.

I have the 1219. Absolutely love it.

• Options
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    I dig my uturn. Simple, no frills. You only pay for what you want. Upgrade as you go and actually HEAR the difference. Invest in speakers and amp/preamp
  • Options

one has a direct current power supply and the other alternating current.

there have been lots of Carbons that have had a noise issue with the motor. some have been ab;e to eliminate easily, others have had to return/exchange.

i had an RP1 that gave me nothing but problems for 3 months. luckily, needle doctor has outstanding customer support/service. they let me make an exchange far beyond their exchange policy window. it was an open box for $378. they're giving me a factory restored debut carbon as an even exchange. just hoping that because it's factory restored, it won't have the hum/noise issue that have plagued so many. brad is going to test it before he ships it. if you have any questions or issues or need a recommendation, talk to brad--he's awesome. there is never any pressure and he will be straight up and tell you what's best for your system and budget.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    I'm thinking about buying the ProJect RPM1 Carbon. I can't find any customer reviews. Anyone have one or know anything about this model.

https://baybloorradio.com/index.php?route=showroom/product&product_id=1909

q
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I'm thinking about buying the ProJect RPM1 Carbon. I can't find any customer reviews. Anyone have one or know anything about this model.

https://baybloorradio.com/index.php?route=showroom/product&product_id=1909

q
    When I bought mine, the RPM1.3 & Debut Carbon were two of my 'finalists.' When I asked about them, one of the guys at Needledoctor said he actually preferred the Carbon over the RPM. I figured they are the experts, so I went with the Carbon and I'm extremely pleased with it. I upgraded to an ortofon 2m blue, which puts you right around the same price as an RPM1.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    I bought the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon and am MORE than happy with it. I upgraded from a direct drive Numark TT with a Shure m97xe cartridge, which was a decent turntable. I did a side by side comparison to make sure money was well spent. With the carbon I could hear nuances that I couldn't hear with my old turntable. It comes with an Ortofon 2m Red cartridge preinstalled. Also comes with a dust cover. Easy set up. amazon.com/Pro-Ject-13086-Debut-Carbon-Black/dp/B007XTE6YW

Most important thing is to never buy a Crosley. You will be ruining your expensive PJ records.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    null

Dyer.....that's exactly what I have and love it! It's absolutely beautiful sounding. And as others have said...Brad at Needledoctor is awesome to deal with. Check for bundle specials as well for some great deals.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul wrote: »

Yes, I still love my Denon DP-300F very much, and no, I don't use an external preamp, and my system sounds really good. I do have the upgraded cartridge too (Ortofon), an excellent new Onkyo receiver, and good Klipsch speakers, which all also helps with the sound of course, but I have my receiver mode set to direct source, so the good sound quality is definitely very much coming from the TT (and cartridge) itself as well. But hey, no harm in trying an external preamp and seeing if it makes any difference to you. I am already very happy with the sound so wouldn't bother, but if I had a preamp lying around I'd certainly give it a shot just to see if I can notice a difference.

I'd go with B&Ws myself, but Klipsch are awesome too and I think made by the same company. Might be wrong there.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    marjenmarjen CT Posts: 803
    Check out u-turn audio. I got one last year and love it. Great price and great quality. Good way to try vinyl out to see if its for you without investing a fortune.

http://uturnaudio.com/
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feedback. That article with the comparison is awesome.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    PapaljuicePapaljuice Jacksonville Posts: 502
    I have the Debut Carbon DC and I love it. My only problem was the metal platter and the crappy felt mat. The sucker would have so much static and would stick to every vinyl and pull every piece of lint or dust to my vinyl. I finally upgraded to the acrylic platter and it sounds better to me and I no longer have those problems. My next move is to upgrade to the ortofon 2m blue. I have read that upgrading both make a big difference. I'm listening to Vault 4 and it feels like I am right next to the stage.
    Pearl Jam - ST. PETERSBURG, FL 3-29-94 / WEST PALM BEACH, FL 9-22-98 / TAMPA, FL 8-12-00 / CHARLOTTE, NC 10/30/13 / ST. LOUIS, MO 10-03-2014 / TAMPA, FL 4-11-16 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 4-13-16
    Eddie Vedder - JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/24/12 / JACKSONVILLE, FL 11/25/12 / ORLANDO, FL 11-28-12