Options

Supreme Court Backs Michigan Affirmative Action Ban

Supreme Court Backs Michigan Affirmative Action Ban , just read this story and I'm not sure what to think of it.

Godfather.

Comments

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    another step backwards.... per usual protocol of this court.

i swear, whenever i see a headline touting the newest supreme court decision, the price is right "fail horn" is the first thing i think of...
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    So someone's skin color earns them special privileges?
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    So the ban has been in place since 2006 ... have there been any real fallout since then in admissions?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

So the ban has been in place since 2006 ... have there been any real fallout since then in admissions?

yes.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    not a big fan of affirmative action. I get why it exists, because there is an assumption that racists in positions of power will deny people of different color a job or going to school based on nothing but their skin color. i'm sure that is true in some instances, but what affirmative action does is it tells a certain group of people that hey, you don't have to be smart or hard working to get into college, we'll get you in on your skin color. you don't have to be qualified or have experience to get this job, we'll get you in on your skin color. how is that not racism?
    I also think it's extremely insulting to the people who are poor and live in shitty situations, that work hard and study hard to make a better life for themselves for people to say, hey my life sucks I didn't have the advantages these other people had, give me a handout, I deserve the same as these people even though I didn't earn it.
    people are successful because they work hard, not because of the color of their skin.
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.
  • Options
    Sonia Sotomayor: Court’s right wing ‘out of touch with reality’

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/sonia-sotomayor-slams-supreme-court-right-wing-race-matters

Simmering tensions over the high court’s approach to race burst into the open Tuesday morning when Justice Sonia Sotomayor, reading from her dissent in an affirmative action case, mounted a full-scale assault on the right wing of the court, calling her conservative colleagues “out of touch with reality.”

“The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to speak openly and candidly on the subject of race, and to apply the Constitution with eyes open to the unfortunate effects of centuries of racial discrimination,” Sotomayor wrote. “[W]e ought not sit back and wish away, rather than confront, the racial inequality that exists in our society. It is this view that works harm, by perpetuating the facile notion that what makes race matter is acknowledging the simple truth that race does matter.”

Sotomayor’s dissent was the most direct attack on a doctrine of “colorblindness” that has guided the conservative wing of the court’s attack on civil rights era laws designed to remedy the effects of racial discrimination. In a 2007 decision striking down a school desegregation program, Chief Justice John Roberts penned the battle cry of the movement when he wrote, “The way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race.”

For Roberts and his conservative colleagues, government intervention to remedy the effects of centuries of racism are morally tantamount to racism.

“The right side of the court all seems to believe that race consciousness is the problem, and that focusing on race exacerbates racism,” said Guy Uriel-Charles, a professor at the Duke University School of Law. “The core of Sotomayor’s opinion is that you can’t simply say that racism is a product of race-consciousness, racism is a product of racial history that is persistent with us today. You can’t get beyond racism by not paying attention to race.”

Sotomayor’s formulation turns Roberts’s dicta on itself, and attacks the the conservative justices’ adherence to a doctrine of “colorblindness” on historical terms.

Although other Justices have penned eloquent criticisms of their conservative colleagues’ approach to racism, the left wing of the court has not had a Justice who could speak with the authority that comes with direct, personal experience with discrimination since Thurgood Marshall died in 1993. Since then, the only person of color on the high court, Justice Clarence Thomas, has lent the authority of his personal experience growing up in the segregated South to the conservative movement’s effort to gut or strike down landmark civil rights laws. Sotomayor, who was raised by a single mom in a housing project in the Bronx and became the first Latina Justice, has forcefully defended government efforts to fight discrimination.

Though the outcome of this battle hinges more on which party gets the opportunity to fill vacancies on the high court than the eloquence of the individual justices, Sotomayor’s dissent was nonetheless notable.

“It’s a really strong dissent, it probably is the most significant opinion Justice Sotomayor has written since she’s been on the court,” said Samuel Bagenstos, a professor at Michigan Law and former official in the civil rights division of the Justice Department. “I thought it was a very powerful response, it was important to have someone who clearly is coming from the perspective of having experienced discrimination on the basis of race talk about the reality of the situation.”

Sotomayor engaged the conservative wing of the court despite Justice Anthony Kennedy’s insistence that the case itself was not about race. In 2006, the state of Michigan voted to amend its state constitution to ban affirmative action in college admissions. The court ruled 6-2, with Justice Elena Kagan abstaining and Clinton appointee Stephen Breyer siding in part with the majority, that it was constitutional for Michigan to do so.

Sotomayor argued that by amending the state constitution just to bar race-conscious admissions would allow “a white graduate of a public Michigan university who wishes to pass his historical privilege on to his children” to “freely lobby the board of that university in favor of an expanded legacy admissions policy,” while preventing “a black Michigander who was denied the opportunity to attend that very university from being able to “lobby the board in favor of a policy that might give his children a chance that he never had and that they might never have.” In doing so, Sotomayor wrote, the state had unconstitutionally barred racial minorities from fully participating in the political process.

Roberts’s “colorblindness” bears only a superficial resemblance to the concept as understood by past champions of equal rights, since as applied by the conservative majority on the court the approach has had dire consequences for racial minorities.

Since Roberts became chief justice, the high court has struck down school desegregation plans, narrowed affirmative action, crippled the Voting Rights Act, limited the circumstances under which Americans can sue for racial discrimination, and enabled the denial of health insurance to millions of financially struggling people of color. Though the opportunity has not yet presented itself, the conservative movement from which Roberts sprung would see the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Fair Housing Act of 1968 destroyed as well.

“In my colleagues’ view, examining the racial impact of legislation only perpetuates racial discrimination,” Sotomayor wrote. “This refusal to accept the stark reality that race matters is regrettable.”

Sotomayor attacked that “colorblind” approach as one that chooses to see no evil. The dissent runs through a litany of historical examples of practices that are superficially “colorblind,” but were intended or had the effect of harming minorities, such as “literacy tests, good character requirements, poll taxes and gerrymandering,” methods used in the Jim Crow South to circumvent the Constitution by not explicitly mentioning race.

“My colleagues are of the view that we should leave race out of the picture entirely and let the voters sort it out,” Sotomayor wrote. “It is a sentiment out of touch with reality, one not required by our Constitution, and one that has properly been rejected as “not sufficient” to resolve cases of this nature.”

• Options
    the rest of the article.... these character restrictions are a joke. is this a glorified form ot twitter or something????

In one notable passage, Sotomayor writes:

“Race matters to a young man’s view of society when he spends his teenage years watching others tense up as he passes, no matter the neighborhood where he grew up. Race matters to a young woman’s sense of self when she states her hometown, and then is pressed, “No, where are you really from?”, regardless of how many generations her family has been in the country. Race matters to a young person addressed by a stranger in a foreign language, which he does not understand because only English was spoken at home. Race matters because of the slights, the snickers, the silent judgments that reinforce that most crippling of thoughts: “I do not belong here.”

It was to this passage that Roberts felt compelled to respond. In a short concurrence, Roberts ignores Sotomayor’s larger argument to defend himself personally and argue that affirmative action, not racism, is the reason minorities would feel excluded from society.

“It is not “out of touch with reality” to conclude that racial preferences may themselves have the debilitating effect of reinforcing precisely that doubt, and—if so—that the preferences do more harm than good,” Roberts wrote in response. “People can disagree in good faith on this issue, but it similarly does more harm than good to question the openness and candor of those on either side of the debate.”

Roberts’s argument that affirmative action, rather than racism, reinforces those “crippling thoughts” is all the more remarkable given that Sotomayor sits on the court with a fellow Justice who once belonged to a group that would have barred her from attending Princeton.

Sotomayor wasn’t questioning Roberts’s candor or openness as much as judgement. The results, from the Voting Rights Act to the Medicaid expansion, speak for themselves, at least for those who choose to listen.

• Options

Jason P said:

yes.
    Are there any statistics that back that up?
  • Options
    Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    the wall street journal ran this story.......not to say I trust this news source but it is what it is.
    I don't do twiter or any other social media other than facebook and I don't put much info on that.

Godfather.

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited April 2014
    The idea of affirmative action in itself is discrimination. By requiring businesses or universities to hire or accept minorities is discrimination against the majority. Is it not?
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Here's an article stating views on affirmative from one black man's perspective. Some good points made here:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/13/opinion/granderson-affirmative-action/

What's wrong with affirmative action -- and why we need it

If I had a nickel each time a white guy e-mails or tweets that I have my job because I'm black, I wouldn't need the job, because I'd be rich.

This is at the heart of a little talked about secret regarding affirmative action: A lot of black professionals don't like it either. Not because they think the playing field is necessarily leveled, but rather their skills and talents are constantly being slighted by whites who think their jobs were given to them solely because of their race.

It's insulting, it's demeaning and there's not a damn thing we can do about it, because as long as race is part of the qualification metric, the perception that the bar was lowered so that we could jump over it will persist.

There are voters who think President Obama's success came easy because of affirmative action, overlooking the fact he's brilliant and oh, by the way, he and the first lady were still paying off their student loans 10 years ago. I can tell you from experience, there is nothing "easy" about paying back student loans.

Yes, there is an inherent hypocrisy of having such a policy in a post civil-rights world. But it is cynical to think we're a post-racial society just because we have a black president.

Should affirmative action still exist?

That's not to characterize all that befalls blacks and other minorities as "the man" holding us down, but rather recognizing a freight train doesn't stop the instant the brakes are applied. Racial inequality had been moving full steam ahead for centuries in this country, starting with the attempted genocide of Native Americans. So while our present-day attitudes about race are changed, the byproducts stemming from our past attitudes -- like access to a quality education and the impact of generational poverty -- are still very much at play.

Opinion: Keep affirmative action but reform it

Talking about this and other topics related to race doesn't make one a racist. But denying its relevance in everyday life has the potential to hurt everyone. For example, the Florida State Board of Education has recently come under fire because the academic achievement goals it set for minority students appear to be lower than the ones set for white students. By the 2017-18 school year, the board wants to have 88% of white students at or above the grade level benchmark for reading but only 81% of Latinos and 74% of blacks.

The reason: the disparity in the current reading level. While 69% of whites reach that mark now, only 53% of Latinos and just 38% of blacks do. That's a problem, not only in terms of students' ability to get into college, but just having a workforce in the state that is literate. So though the percentages of the 2017-18 goals seem biased in favor of whites, the percentage increase seeks to aggressively address a major reading problem plaguing minorities.

This isn't racist. This is recognizing that if this racial disparity goes unchecked, it could have debilitating long-term effects on Florida's economy.

Some think the word diversity is a euphemism for "anything but white," but I don't. I believe in the diversity of thought, which sometimes can play out racially, but not always. Having people from different geographic locations can introduce different insight and talent to a college campus or workforce, and variations of socioeconomic status bring in diversity as well.

But don't be mistaken, race is important.

One of the elements of the infamous "47%" video that didn't get talked about a lot was Mitt Romney's joke that if he had Mexican heritage, he'd have "a better shot" at winning the election. That joke was followed by a comment from someone in the crowd who suggested Romney could claim to have some Native American heritage like Elizabeth Warren, to get a leg up. In what socioeconomic metric is there a quantifiable advantage to being Mexican or Native American in this country?

The outcry about the push for diversity in the workplace and in college admissions would lead you to believe we're overcompensating for the sins of the past. But look around: Does it really look as if the populations with the highest poverty rate -- blacks, Latinos and Native Americans -- are just cleaning up in the game of life?

5 things to know about affirmative action

True, there are certainly examples of unqualified or incompetent employees being placed in positions they shouldn't be because of flawed decision making from white superiors trying to be compliant with their HR department. However, that's not what affirmative action was designed to do.

Take my profession, for example.

According to an American Society of News Editors study, minorities make up 12.3% of newspaper staffs and 16.4% of online-only news staffs despite being a third of the general population. Similarly the National Association of Black Journalists released a study last month that found minorities filled 12% of the newsroom managerial positions at 295 stations owned by 19 media conglomerates.

So I ask you, if the so-called liberal media struggles to employ diversity that's representative of the people -- and it has affirmative action policies in place -- what makes us think completely removing such initiatives is going to improve the situation?

I do not like affirmative action in its current incarnation, and I think a lot of us can agree the flaws need to be addressed. But in this conversation, let's not pretend the reasons why it was created in the first place are no longer around.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    should a person advance on their own merit ?

Godfather.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    This SCOTUS decision is ridiculous.

http://rt.com/usa/154144-scotus-anonymous-tip-police-stop/

Got a bumper sticker that might hurt someone's feelings? Now all they need to do is call you in and say you were swerving.

• Options
    interesting story, even if the suspect walks on the weed charge it's not over there, now the cops know him and in many cases will "put a tail" on him and then put an under cover cop into the mix and after several months to a few years depending on what they find (big suppliers may be watched for 1 to 5 years) and then a bigger bust is in the works snagging top people and a few small fish for plea deals, rats....those people cops love to hate :))

Godfather.
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

yes.
    i have seen articles about how minority enrollment in the michigan state schools dropped significantly since 2006. i will try to find them when i have time to look for them. i am sure recent articles talking about this story have some stats in them.

• Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

yes.
    i have seen articles about how minority enrollment in the michigan state schools dropped significantly since 2006. i will try to find them when i have time to look for them. i am sure recent articles talking about this story have some stats in them.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/black-enrollment-falls-as-michigan-rejects-affirmative-action.html
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

yes.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-24/black-enrollment-falls-as-michigan-rejects-affirmative-action.html
    Any chance that skyrocketing tuition fees may have a much bigger impact?
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

yes.
    but if there was no affirmative action, would it not make it more difficult for some minorities to get the tuition assistance to help cover said skyrocketing tuition?

• Options

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

yes.
    but if there was no affirmative action, would it not make it more difficult for some minorities to get the tuition assistance to help cover said skyrocketing tuition?
    I don't know. Does AA help secure grants or just enrollement?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    Affirmative action in universities is bullshit IMO. Should be based on GPA.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

yes.
    But enrollments overall have been declining since then - at least they have been in Canada. They've been reducing minimum entrance GPA requirements for years now because they can't fill seats otherwise unless you're talking about prestigious schools. It's because more and more people are recognizing that trade or professional school is way more useful, and also that a university degree isn't nearly as valuable as it used to be given the time and money it takes to get one. Especially in the arts. Did the articles you read compare the decline between minorities and non-minorities?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

Jason P said:

yes.
    I don't know. Does AA help secure grants or just enrollement?
    There are still tons of grants and scholarships that only go to minority groups. And student loans are based on family income.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796

the wall street journal ran this story.......not to say I trust this news source but it is what it is.
    I don't do twiter or any other social media other than facebook and I don't put much info on that.

Godfather.

Rupert Murdoch owns the WSJ . You know the guy that also owns FoxNews?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    aa is reverse discrimination
  • Options

aa is reverse discrimination

I agree.