Options

New Analog Member - Hi & Why

njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
edited June 2014 in The Porch
I'm a new member (51xxxx), I've seen this asked a lot) and have searched for the right place and way to post. Since it's not really clear, I'm just gonna take a shot and say hey here. I'm Nancy, from NJ - I've followed PJ since early 90's through albums and vicariously on the internet (once it actually existed). I have never seen them live which can be best explained by 'Present Tense', "Better Man" and "Come Back". I'm also the single mom of a 16 year old who split for his father's home 9 months ago. I have been in a dark place for way too long and I need to live again, no matter how terrifying that can be. So posting here, as uncomfortable as it may be, is part of regaining my self and enjoying my life - doing all the things which i withdrew from over the past 20 years. I am not here for sympathy, I am here to connect with people who have been impacted by songs which resonate - and PJ has been there throughout my journey; always seeming to touch a chord in me at pivotal times in my life. The fact that a man can write the words 'he opens the door, she rolls over, pretends to sleep as he looks her over' is mind-blowing to me because it brings me right there thinking please don't talk, please just leave me alone for one night. Their music has lifted me up, soothed me, made me cry and kept me hoping. I owe it to my departed siblings, my son and, I must remember, to myself to live and this is one of the steps in doing so. I WILL see Pearl Jam live, but first I come here to say hello to those who have been living life and making friends due to love of a band. i saw that someone said not to be personal, but the band has always put themselves out there and if i am to be part of a community - i need to be who i am and let the rest take care of itself. I'm truly humbled to be among all of you and look forward to singing Crazy Mary next to one or more of you someday. Phew!! ^:)^ #:-S
Post edited by njnancy on

Comments

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Welcome to the boards :-h Hopefully they'll release some U.S. dates for later this year and your wish will come true \m/
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    edited April 2014
    Welcome Nancy!!! Thanks for sharing your story. Brad here from Nashville. So glad you are in a happier place in your life now. Your Better Man comment made me shudder and tear up a little. Hopefully now that you are finding a more peaceful and happy existence some new songs will speak to you. (Hard to Imagine, perhaps?) Whenever the band is out on tour always check around here first for Wishlist organized pre-parties. It's a great way to meet other fans and make some new friends. Many many good peeps around here. I will gladly "take a bottle drink it down and pass it around" with ya!!
    Post edited by OceansMagnet on
  • Options
    welcome to our little corner of hell!
    Woman of strength and courage, find your way to the nearest Pearl Jam show and be redeemed!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Welcome!!!!
    Have fun!!!!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Welcome Nancy :-h Everyone's a charming delight ;) here! Seriously, everyone is extremely helpful and hilarious - ALWAYS coming here perks up and improves my day! Nice to meet you.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    PH20PH20 Posts: 466
    Welcome, and thanks for sharing your story!

Here's to you starting to feel Alive again, living in the Present Tense and may your Future Days be Given To Fly.
    2006 - Marcus Ampitheater, Milwaukee
    2011 - Alpine Valley Ampitheater, East Troy
    2013 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2014 - Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
    2014 - Bradley Center, Milwaukee
    2016 - Wrigley Field, Chicago
    2018 - Wrigley Field, Chicago 
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    Hi Nancy! I'm also in NJ. I really was touched by your story. I'm glad you made it back. I too have been a fan since the beginning. Life got in the way of me attending to my own individual interests too until I came to and relocated my self. PJ is a big part of that and has brought me so much joy. I've reconnected with people and made new connections because of this music and community. I hope the same for you. Welcome to the board!

Jen
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Hi Nancy! Welcome!! I'm sorry you have been in a dark place, but you are now stepping into the light. You are definitely in the right place. People here are pretty cool, so don't be shy. Start saving your money--once you see the band live, it will become an addiction. :)
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Thank you all for the kind welcome & your acceptance of my need to share just a bit. It's wonderful to see some snark and dry wit too ;)) . My son, who has been my life, is with the one 'who looked me over' and I have finally gotten him to get some help. As a mother, the situation is heart breaking, but as a woman i need to be that independent, creative spirit that I had always been. I pray he returns on his own, I can make it happen but choose not to. Perhaps he will be at my side at that first PJ concert - but I need to let go (ouch) and find new horizons. I will take all of your suggestions and, again, thank you. I'm so glad that I found my way here. :)>-
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Hi Nancy! Welcome! :-h
  • Options
    SD48277 said:

Hi Nancy! Welcome!! I'm sorry you have been in a dark place, but you are now stepping into the light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reCpPN09ss4

Personal Favorite:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW9S5mAspZ0

and if that don't work ... you got the cheese ... the sweet, sweet, stinky cheese. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiOqHLVxZvA
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Welcome.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    I was falling down the rabbit hole of the MH370 discussion when your videos popped up - 'Beginning to See the Light' with headphones on was 8-> , The Travelling Wilburys are simply amazing and that song is a fave of mine also and the first album i actually owned (not stolen from my sister) was Boston - all three made me smile.
    Thank you all for a warm reception - the day is already looking brighter \:D/
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    That first show will change your life, especially if you find a way to get yourself up close. The live experience is pretty amazing.

You've got a bootleg code to use...I suggest Charlottesville from 2013.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion - how does the bootleg code work - i just was in the shop and it told me it was invalid. Or should i ask that somewhere else?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,509
    Welcome from Greece..

easy come and easy go..be happy Nancy
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2014
    You select the digital download you want, put the item in your cart, and apply the discount code when you go to check out. You find the download code from the home page, next to where it says, Hello, Blah blah blah (current member) click My account, and then my membership. The code should be right there. Download and crank.
    The 10c will help you if you cant make it work.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,878
    Welcome from Vienna! Nice to have you here, Nancy!
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Welcome from Portland! :) Hope they announce some dates soon so you can see them! Cheers!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    Hello Nancy and welcome. :-h In case you couldn't tell from my username, I'm Jason from Toledo ;)

It's nice to here that you are, or you are working your way to a better place. As someone else said, start saving your money. Once you see them live, you'll want to see them all the time. The pre & post parties & meeting everyone from here can be just as much fun too!

You'll also inevitably become addicted to posters, vinyl, bootlegs, and/or some other PJ related item and it can sometimes get kind of crazy. However, don't worry. You will definitely not be alone in any of those addictions! :)
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Hello Nancy! Welcome! I am Tree, and live in Cooorado Springs, Co. We're so glad you are here with us! Better Kate than never! If you have any questions we'll all answer them the best we can. Hope to read more from you! And one thing you can do to help ease the loneliness is to keep a pet. They keep you on agocused track. Especially a dog. Anyhow, I hope the light returns to your world soon! You're in the right place here for sure!
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

That first show will change your life, especially if you find a way to get yourself up close. The live experience is pretty amazing.

You've got a bootleg code to use...I suggest Charlottesville from 2013.

She does have the opportunity to watch the youtube video of Charlottesville and a couple other shows first to make a decision! Just a thought!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited April 2014
    Welcome!! Don't feel uncomfortable sharing yourself here. Everyone understands where you're coming from I think. Most if not all of us totally get the emotional connection with PJ's music and that ineffible sense of fulfillment or rescue that comes with it. A lot of sharing and helping goes on around here, so I think you came to the exact right place! :x
    And Oooohhhh when you see your first show it just gets that much better!!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Hello everyone! I see a lot of people, throughout the forum, saying to save my money - the addiction has already started since 1.I'm currently listening to Pearl Jam on Sirius - a guy from NYC's wishlist (which is a really cool idea) &, since I'm looking at Riverside Cathedral (in NYC) from my Porch as I type this, it's also interesting since a lot of the venues for the songs are places I've been. 2. I bought an analog membership 3. I'm posting here, 4. I've been watching Youtube videos of live shows (incessantly??) (the one where the woman is signing to Given to Fly and Eddie seems to delight in her signing 'fuckers' is a new favorite...they are endless, though) and 5. my Spotify account has become overrun with new playlists. I've been, uhm, obsessed with other bands and artists throughout my life and the pattern is familiar 8-} . I've, thankfully, been free of addictions which were not conducive to a healthy life for almost 18 years (smoking is my toughest, tomorrow is my quit date, in memory of my dad and a week before my birthday, hoping it takes this time), so music as an addiction is a great high.

I love that they sell albums, I have about 200+ records (a lot are gone - scratched beyond comprehension or cracked) which are stored in milk crates since i don't have a turntable. I remember when CD's first came out, I refused to buy them for a long time. Something is lost (I'm a big fan of Roger Dean who did the cover art for Yes), the feel, liner notes - I'm the same way about books. I refuse to read them on-line, I'm definitely a bibliophile and it's not the same experience without the feel of the paper, the smell, etc (IMHO).

I read FAQ's and did searches last night & finally realized the code is good for one concert a year, i was trying to use it for the 2013 boxset :\"> ). So now choosing one concert is overwhelming, i'll take my time.

I'm truly thankful for every single person who has posted here, I wasn't sure what to expect, every community is different and i took a chance that, i feel, was well worth it. I am touched by the encouragement to get on with my life. My therapist asked me if i was thinking of entering the convent last week (i love my sarcastic doc), and since that is absolutely not on my bucket list, i'm gonna have to try and believe that not all men are psychopaths & maybe go on a, gulp, date someday.

Okay, I'll shut up, but i wanted to let 'shetellsherself', being a fellow Jersey Girl, that it must be in the water and if you found your way out of the darkness, then i really need to keep looking forward and stop being the only one who can't forgive myself. And with that Better Man starts playing on Sirius. Have an awesome weekend everyone, I'm going to actually leave the house today! :-O
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Welcome, this board has the coolest people, biggest complainers, and most selfless bunch all in one.

Mike in Illinois
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    Welcome from Ukiah, CA. Listening to In My Tree on vinyl right now. I'm so high indeed. Love it here.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    aurynsdad said:

Welcome from Ukiah, CA. Listening to In My Tree on vinyl right now. I'm so high indeed. Love it here.

I'm a little jealous.

Nancy... I'd not be surprised if there was quite a bit to be concerned about in the water in our wonderful state of nj.
    ;) but yes, there are many kinds of darkness and many ways to find light. Pj is just one of most fun ways to find that brightness. I'm (admittedly selfishly) hoping for some east coast dates this year though I'd travel to the Midwest too. Maybe Ed will do some east coast solo dates. I hope you get your chance to see them soon.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead." Welcome to the club, Nancy! Glad you are taking this step toward living your life and rediscovering yourself. This band, their music, and its fans can really lift you up. We're all here for the same reason, so welcome to our family!
  • Options
    I seem to gravitate towards songs like Thumbing My Way, I guess they're soothing, or it's just my taste - who knows? Those lyrics stood out and they were just what i needed to hear - simple words with deep meaning. I'm very happy to be here and thank you for welcoming me into this family - it means a lot to me..
  • Options
    marilormarilor St Etienne, France Posts: 618
    Welcome Nancy, you are in the right place. I think i can relate to your story by many points. I am here for not a very long time but people are really cool here. I hope to see you in a PJ concert soon... \:D/ !!
    "We were but stones, ...Your light made us stars"