Options

obama visits calfornia drought area & golfs at water sucking desert courses

chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
edited March 2014 in A Moving Train
http://time.com/7853/obama-golfs-water-guzzling-desert-courses-amid-the-drought/

green grass in a desert? yep. thank you golf courses of the steamy hot as shit california desert or wherever the frig. i read this article today waiting to see my doctor. came home here & looked it up online. the magazine i was reading stated each 18 hole desert golf course uses around 1 million gallons of water per day in the hot dry season. what a wonderful idea. this is 3-4 times the water your average u.s. golf course uses

sunnylands estate golf course was built by some wealthy ass bastard as is the porcupine creek golfing extravaganza & high dollar outfit. what a crock of crap!

coachella valley has 124 golf courses that use 17% of that areas water. golfers should be very proud of themselves & their bullshit club fees & how they are bullshit jerk offs & their desert golfing experience should be played in total sand & cacti

let's see what kinda chemicals go into courses that get leached out into the surrounding desert biome

water ways underground or on the surface...

president obama wants ppl to conserve & work together on this water issue then runs off to golf where water is used like it is going out of style to quench the thirst of a desert.

deserts are dry as hell & thirsty. hello! let's install a golf course for rich people to act the fool
for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
I am tired; my heart is
sick and sad. From where
the sun stands I will fight
no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
Post edited by chadwick on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    What a joke- to go and talk about a drought and then play golf in the desert. Talk about out of touch with reality. This kind of arrogance of power is one of the things that is giving me cause to have serious doubts about our political system. If we are honest with our selves, most of us live in ways that are unsustainable but the super rich and the very powerful don't seem to care and blatantly play full tilt with our resources as they run out and not really care about anybody else. They don't have a vision for the future.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    thank you, brian
    i agree completely

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    go prego pre Posts: 650
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    brianlux said:

What a joke- to go and talk about a drought and then play golf in the desert. Talk about out of touch with reality. This kind of arrogance of power is one of the things that is giving me cause to have serious doubts about our political system. If we are honest with our selves, most of us live in ways that are unsustainable but the super rich and the very powerful don't seem to care and blatantly play full tilt with our resources as they run out and not really care about anybody else. They don't have a vision for the future.

And yet 'They' continually get Voted in.
  • Options
    to me this is a real big deal. mr. president should be smarter than this. it is quite amazing what the elite feel they are entitled too. desert golf courses... wow! pumping in millions of gallons of water every single day. unreal

let's hear it from some real golfers' opinions

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    Sometimes its the things you don't do that say the most. Shameful..

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited March 2014
    Speaking of vacations, is Michelle heading to Hawaii again this week? Her job is just so stressful.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    let's hear it from real golfers. i know you all are here as i've read some of your fine posts on the great sports topic of golfing. any of you all golf the great deserts? golfing anywhere not only wastes water but blows desert reptiles like lizards & snakes.

i have a friend whose dad owned a 9 hole course. when i was young & between jobs the old man would hire me to cut grass, weed, shovel gravel around, trim trees & he'd buy the golf balls we found (in the ponds & woods) for $0.50 each & he'd turn around & sell used balls for $1.00 each

this was fantastic.

the chemicals matt put down on the greens is out of control. you gotta go to school & be licensed to mess with that stuff.

http://31.media.tumblr.com/1ede60b5cdfa2057714ec9e50c143e9d/tumblr_n0xvhtIC0I1r7yhvfo1_1280.jpgimage

read up on syngenta & atrazine & the scientist (tyrone hayes) who worked for them who discovered it is nasty shit & how syngenta is trying to discredit the man, threaten him & his family & a whole lot of other junk.

dial in... 'silencing the scientist: tyrone hayes on being targeted by herbicide firm syngenta'
    also look up... mother jones - the frog war

there may even be worse chemicals than syngenta's atrazine.

golf courses use this product along with many others. this is sad state of affairs, ladies & gentlemen. all that plus they are water sucking criminals while the rest of the joint dries up. so not only are they using huge amounts of water but they are poisoning the environment... yes poisoning waterways outside their bullshit golfing extravaganza

basically atrazine gives male frogs vaginas & so on & so forth. atrazine also does this to mamals including humans.
    we like this stuff in the water

yes there are golf courses who have stopped using chemicals altogether. this is good. are they using insane amounts of water?

golf still drives me nuts but good for them
    Post edited by chadwick on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I like to play golf. I'm between mediocre and a hack (I shoot in the high 80's to low 90's). I'm not a fan of Obama but I don't have a problem with him golfing in the desert or for someone to build a golf course in the dessert. However, I do see the hypocrisy in speaking about a severe drought while golfing at a place that eats up so much water.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I live out here. And isn't there a giant body of water just to the left of us?
    I wish there was some way to gather some of THAT water and take the salt out... so we could store it some place.. and use it to water places like parks and ... golf courses.
    i guess that's impossible.
    Let's figure out a way to send a robotic plane on an autonomous mission and allow it to make tactical decisions, on its own, in case it encounters pop-up targets of opportunity en route, deliver explosive ordinances to the greater threat, then return back safely, instead.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo said:

I live out here. And isn't there a giant body of water just to the left of us?
    I wish there was some way to gather some of THAT water and take the salt out... so we could store it some place.. and use it to water places like parks and ... golf courses.
    i guess that's impossible.
    Let's figure out a way to send a robotic plane on an autonomous mission and allow it to make tactical decisions, on its own, in case it encounters pop-up targets of opportunity en route, deliver explosive ordinances to the greater threat, then return back safely, instead.

Its called desalinating and is very common in the middle east. Water company plants take in the water, desalinate it and distribute. I am guessing that it is to costly to do this in Cal or it would have been done already.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I just think we are too fucking lazy... and it's more fun blowing up shit and killing people.
    i mean, we have something here called 'Toilet to Tap' where they send waste water from the toilet to a water treatment plant and re-introduce it to the water supply.
    If we can take the water from the toilet... i've seen what goes down the toilet and it has to be worse than the surf water... and treat it to come out of our kitchen faucets... then, WHY can't we... no... WHY DON'T we run Ocean water through the system, instead?
    I know... salt is bad... but, the stuff they are running through the system that came from my toilet... it's worse. Trust me.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    yeah i was somewhat growly this morning. golfers & st. patrick's day celebraters fear not, i'm a huggable lug. carry on

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    unsung said:

Speaking of vacations, is Michelle heading to Hawaii again this week? Her job is just so stressful.

Nope, heading to China instead.
  • Options
    Cosmo said:

I just think we are too fucking lazy... and it's more fun blowing up shit and killing people.
    i mean, we have something here called 'Toilet to Tap' where they send waste water from the toilet to a water treatment plant and re-introduce it to the water supply.
    If we can take the water from the toilet... i've seen what goes down the toilet and it has to be worse than the surf water... and treat it to come out of our kitchen faucets... then, WHY can't we... no... WHY DON'T we run Ocean water through the system, instead?
    I know... salt is bad... but, the stuff they are running through the system that came from my toilet... it's worse. Trust me.

Now I am really interested as to why they haven't done this. Anytime there is money to be made then people are usually tripping over each other. Why hasn't a private company started doing this for water distribution?

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Cosmo said:

In Hong Kong the toilet water is seawater. Saves wasting good drinking water just to shit in it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,763
    Desalinization is possible but very expensive- salt corrodes filters and other mechanisms very quickly. The process also requires a lot of energy and energy consumption and it's by-products are already creating ecological havoc. Our clever brains find solutions to problems we've created but in doing so we often create even bigger problems.

But that said, if someone ever figures out how to make desalinization economically feasible, they will become extremely rich.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.