Options

This Is Going To Make Some Peoples Heads Explode!!

BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
edited November 2013 in A Moving Train
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/11/05/marvel-muslim-superhero-ms-marvel/

Marvel introduces Muslim superhero in 'Ms. Marvel #1'

Someone’s creating a new superhero, which means it must be a day of the week ending in “y.” But Marvel Comics’ announcement about a new Ms. Marvel series deserves special attention. The company announced in a press release today that the new Ms. Marvel will be a superhero of the Islamic faith — the first-ever Muslim title character from Marvel Comics and pretty much the first Muslim superhero from the mainstream comic publishers to get her own monthly book. (Although last year DC introduced Simon Baz, a new Green Lantern who’s currently a member of the Justice League.)

According to the press release, the new Ms. Marvel’s real name is Kamala Khan, a 16-year-old from Jersey City. “Kamala has all of her opportunities in front her and she is loaded with potential, but her parents’ high expectations come with tons of pressure,” Marvel describes. “When Kamala suddenly gets powers that give her the opportunity to be just like her idol, Captain Marvel, it challenges the very core of her conservative values.”

The “Ms. Marvel” name previously belonged to Carol Danvers, a blonde Air Force badass who got fused with Alien genes and developed superpowers. Danvers is now known as Captain Marvel, not to be confused with the Captain Marvel who died in the ’80s or the Captain Marvel from DC Comics who everyone just calls Shazam. (Comic books!) The new Ms. Marvel will feature in a special issue in January before her series begins in February. Which means we only have a couple months to decide: Is America really ready for a superhero from New Jersey?

:corn:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Head-Exploding.gif

:lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm so confused by the last paragraph (then again, I'm not into comics and the like).

I will say though, the chick has one HUGE left hand.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    A Muslim woman who is portrayed as a super hero .... Good for Marvel

I have a feeling that extreme Islam is not going to be happy with this. :|
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREj9nXAXw11lw-mWLL2W0BkmT03zHa5QkuUma3Dn5n2CtS3KQaRA

Malala Yousafzai ... A true superhero ...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Jason P wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcREj9nXAXw11lw-mWLL2W0BkmT03zHa5QkuUma3Dn5n2CtS3KQaRA

Malala Yousafzai ... A true superhero ...
    Yes! I was so impressed listening to her speak during a news piece recently. What a brave, well-spoken and intelligent young lady.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    hedonist wrote:
    I will say though, the chick has one HUGE left hand.
    You didn't know she had the G.I. Joe... Kung-Fu Grip?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    But she's going to get hammered by Thor and pounded by Iron Man and caught in a deadly web by Spider Man and crushed by the Hulk and finally pummeled by Polaris... or Polaris_x... right? :lol: ....

BLAM! BIFF! BAM! POW! THWOCK! WHAP!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    Bets on how long marvel keeps this character...

I bet 3 weeks.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Someone’s creating a new superhero, which means it must be a day of the week ending in “y.” But Marvel Comics’ announcement about a new Ms. Marvel series deserves special attention. The company announced in a press release today that the new Ms. Marvel will be a superhero of the Islamic faith — the first-ever Muslim title character from Marvel Comics and pretty much the first Muslim superhero from the mainstream comic publishers to get her own monthly book. (Although last year DC introduced Simon Baz, a new Green Lantern who’s currently a member of the Justice League.)

According to the press release, the new Ms. Marvel’s real name is Kamala Khan, a 16-year-old from Jersey City. “Kamala has all of her opportunities in front her and she is loaded with potential, but her parents’ high expectations come with tons of pressure,” Marvel describes. “When Kamala suddenly gets powers that give her the opportunity to be just like her idol, Captain Marvel, it challenges the very core of her conservative values.”

The “Ms. Marvel” name previously belonged to Carol Danvers, a blonde Air Force badass who got fused with Alien genes and developed superpowers. Danvers is now known as Captain Marvel, not to be confused with the Captain Marvel who died in the ’80s or the Captain Marvel from DC Comics who everyone just calls Shazam. (Comic books!) The new Ms. Marvel will feature in a special issue in January before her series begins in February. Which means we only have a couple months to decide: Is America really ready for a superhero from New Jersey?

I know 2 people who def lost sleep over this! :lol:
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,547
    badbrains wrote:

There's at least 4 on here that will explode
  • Options
    I was hoping for more of a traditional look with the black cloak from head to toe and only the mysterious eyes showing. Instead they have tried to make her look like she is straight out of compton.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    I was happy to hear this. And I agree about Malala being a superhero in real life.
    ~Carter~

You can spend your time alone, redigesting past regrets, oh
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can't forgive yourself, oh
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense
    - Present Tense
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I was hoping for more of a traditional look with the black cloak from head to toe and only the mysterious eyes showing. Instead they have tried to make her look like she is straight out of compton.

Yeah, definitely not Tehran. Ms Marvel the Islamic Super-heroine is either liberated-- if as in, the movement going on in France then I'd say some district of Paris-- or if the comic strip makers are from So Cal and haven't heard about that then, yep, could be Compton.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    badbrains wrote:

There's at least 4 on here that will explode

So TRUE Bentley! Hahahahaha, think 1 of them already did!