Options

PJ solo/song in Key of A?

BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
edited October 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi,
I'm a new guitarist looking for some help. My guitar teacher gave me a homework assignment: learn the modes of A. I was getting bored playing up and down the scales on a sheet of paper, so I bought a Ditto looper to practice jamming over a looped chord progression. I've been looping Dsus2, C, Emin (Black) and practicing the E-minor pentatonic, and I think its pretty well driven into my brain now. I'll learn the scales more thoroughly if I apply them to something that I enjoy.

I'm looking for any suggestions for PJ songs in the key of A (or a PJ chord progression).
Thanks!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Crazy Mary
    Stairway to Heaven
    All Along the Watchtower

yes i know, PJ don't play Stairway, but Mike does the Stairway solo sometimes in Crazy Mary, cuz they are both in A minor

also Watchtower is too, not sure what key PJ did it in, probably A minor...its Am G F G...same as Stairway basically

can't think of any PJ originals off the top of my head in A minor
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    Those are great suggestions- thanks so much for putting some thought into it.
  • Options
    Just running through my iTunes, all or most of these are correct: Rearviewmirror, Once, Alive, Jeremy, Garden, Animal, Tremor Christ, Satan's Bed, Around The Bend, In Hiding, Gods' Dice, Green Disease, Half Full, All or None (in standard tuning), Sad, In The Moonlight, Undone, Fatal, Hard To Imagine, State of Love and Trust, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Got Some, Johnny Guitar, Crazy Mary, Getaway, Lightning Bolt, Pendulum.

Have at it.
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
  • Options
    Nice! Thanks for the list! I was thinking "Alive" was in A, but I read that the solo is played in a different key (on the given to wail site), which is confusing (I'm still figuring all this out). Thanks again,
  • Options
    I think the solo for Alive is in E-minor pentatonic mostly.
  • Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    BHealy said:

Nice! Thanks for the list! I was thinking "Alive" was in A, but I read that the solo is played in a different key (on the given to wail site), which is confusing (I'm still figuring all this out). Thanks again,

Well that clears up my suggestion, haha. I have no idea on keys of stuff---I play by ear.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    Learning some music theory has helped me to learn guitar. I can tell, but ear, when I'm out of the key of the song! It helps to know what notes are "in bounds" for the song when improvising.
  • Options
    InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    The solo to Alive is in E Minor Pentatonic and is a minor progression that uses major chords that jump up a major third just like Hey Joe.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!