Options

Ray Donovan

groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
edited September 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Has anyone been watching? Thoughts?

I watched the first episode and kept falling asleep, but came back to the show a few weeks late, and I got seriously hooked. The writing and acting are first rate. The central relationship of Liev Schrieber's Ray and his father, Jon Voight's Mickey is about as complex as any father son relationship could be, with new details revealed every week . Their struggle to be the head of their family makes for engrossing TV, even though the show isn't perfect. I highly recommend it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Like it, haven't watched Sunday's yet, it is on the DVR but like it so far.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    The first episode was a demo on a dvd set I watched a few months ago. I thought that first episode it was slow too, but I remember thinking it had good potential. I hope to check it out when the whole season comes out on netflix or dvd.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    grooveme wrote:
    Has anyone been watching? Thoughts?

I watched the first episode and kept falling asleep, but came back to the show a few weeks late, and I got seriously hooked. The writing and acting are first rate. The central relationship of Liev Schrieber's Ray and his father, Jon Voight's Mickey is about as complex as any father son relationship could be, with new details revealed every week . Their struggle to be the head of their family makes for engrossing TV, even though the show isn't perfect. I highly recommend it.

I've been watching. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. Jon Voight is great in this role. Not crazy about Liev Schrieber's character.....the guy barely fucking speaks. Drives me nuts.
  • Options
    It's a good epi, and explains a lot. Can't wait for the finale.

I've been enjoying it more than Dexter, although I am not hating Dexter this season like so many are. It's not as good as it has been but I have a pretty good ability to suspend disbelief and ignore plot holes when I like the characters and overall developments.
  • Options
    The first episode was a demo on a dvd set I watched a few months ago. I thought that first episode it was slow too, but I remember thinking it had good potential. I hope to check it out when the whole season comes out on netflix or dvd.

Definitely gets better as it goes. I had a hard time following it at first. The writers fill in some backstory quickly, but a lot just trickles out week to week
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    grooveme wrote:
    It's a good epi, and explains a lot. Can't wait for the finale.

I've been enjoying it more than Dexter, although I am not hating Dexter this season like so many are. It's not as good as it has been but I have a pretty good ability to suspend disbelief and ignore plot holes when I like the characters and overall developments.

I like Dexter but the overall story is totally ridiculous and has been for years. I do still like it though....
  • Options
    I hate the name. I went out with a Ray Donovan, and he was a dick!!!! :fp:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Its alright, haven't been head over heals for it though
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Anyone else still watching this? Pretty wild finale the other night....I have a feeling they haven't seen the last of the armenian mob. The story with Bunchy marrying that crazy chick was pretty dumb but other than that I really like the season. Jon Voight plays a great scumbag.
  • Options
    I have to watch the last handful of this year but I stopped last season and came back this year. Jon Voight is hilarious in this role.
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    edited September 2015
    Have seen every episode, would watch it just for Liev Schreiber :)
  • Options
    Bunchy's wife is probably the worst character on all of TV.....just awful. I wish that whole storyline would go away. Other than that, this season has been pretty solid. Jon Voight is the best.
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Great show
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Just started watching this. Enjoying it
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Where the hell is Avi this season?

While there've been a handful of iffy episodes over time, I absolutely love this show and its characters.  Very interesting though sad season thus far.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    pretty good so far.

anyone else getting this flickering lights quality to it?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I watched the first few minutes but initially having stopped watching after Abby died, I have no idea who’s who and the storyline of where the last season ended.