Options

Pearl Jam - Ten 24bit 88kHz now available at HDTracks

j3brow1j3brow1 Posts: 37
edited December 2013 in The Porch
I was happily shocked to see debut album available today at HDTracks in hi-resolution 24bit 88kHz. They are offering both the remastered and remixed versions. $18/each. I know the files likely will not sound better than my LPs but I can't resist ....

Anybody already taken the plunge?
the all encompassing trip
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,848
    j3brow1 wrote:
    I was happily shocked to see debut album available today at HDTracks in hi-resolution 24bit 88kHz. They are offering both the remastered and remixed versions. $18/each. I know the files likely will not sound better than my LPs but I can't resist ....

Not yet. What is the source of the 24bit rip? From vinyl or from the original master tapes?
    Got a few vinyl > 24bit Flacs.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    demetrios wrote:
    j3brow1 wrote:

Not yet. What is the source of the 24bit rip? From vinyl or from the original master tapes?
    Got a few vinyl > 24bit Flacs.

HDTracks rarely gives any info on the source other than the files came directly from the label (Sony).
    Post edited by j3brow1 on
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Let us know what you think!
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    Let us know what you think!

I purchased and downloaded the original mix, remastered version. Quick 1st impressions. The 24/88 download seems to be a unique mastering with respect to the remastered CD included in the Ten box set which I imagine share a common source (pure speculation on my part regarding source). The hi-res download is less compressed than the cd reissue --- noticeably not as loud as the remastered CD --- although it is louder than the original press vinyl needledrop I compared it to. Again, quick judgement here but this may very well be my favorite digital version of Ten. The guitar textures are more vivid. Ed vocals are powerful and clean with the voice floating nicely in space between my speakers. The cymbals are noticeably more distinct, airy, more real. Ditto for Ed. Jeff's bass lines are rendered a touch better too. Musically, what an incredible debut album. Still amazing to listen to all these years later.
  • Options
    hmm wondering if i should wait to see if this gets released for neil young's pono system first....

here is a 10% discount code not sure how long its valid for but takes the price to $16.18: septnew10
  • Options
    I've been thinking of jumping into 24 bit music. Just need to do a little more research on the system requirements and equipment needed. My apple stuff is getting a little long in the tooth. Thanks for sharing. Justin
  • Options
    MK13579MK13579 Posts: 217
    Will an average person notice a difference? For example...I have no idea why they remastered ten in the first place. The original sounds great to me.
  • Options
    You should be able to, if you have the system.
  • Options
    I asked 10club about the site. It's legit.
    mr_perfect wrote:
    here is a 10% discount code not sure how long its valid for but takes the price to $16.18: septnew10

Thanks! Would love to check this out. But after reading & signing up, I just hit the brick wall, again!!

U.S. Residents only! :(

These exclusive to USA jams, are making my thirsty!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    demetrios wrote:
    mr_perfect wrote:

Thanks! Would love to check this out. But after reading & signing up, I just hit the brick wall, again!!

Well, they're not shipping anything to you, so just enter "United States" as your country. They don't need any more details when you checkout with PayPal. I've ordered from them before and never had any issues. Currently downloading the remixed version :)
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    mrk2 wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    mr_perfect wrote:

Well, they're not shipping anything to you, so just enter "United States" as your country. They don't need any more details when you checkout with PayPal. I've ordered from them before and never had any issues. Currently downloading the remixed version :)

You're right! Will try it out tonight after work via PayPal.
    Thanks! :)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well, it turns out iTunes had altered my files without my knowledge. I was listening to 24/44 copies not the original 24/88 I had downloaded. Also, iTunes converted the downloaded aif files into AIFF files. The complexity/pitfall of manipulating digital files. Bottom line is my thoughts have changed. I would recommend this download to the completist only. There is very little gained compared with the remastered CD released a few years back -- which undoubtedly shares the same source for this hi-res version. Too much compression. I don't know if the remastered cd came from a higher resolution file (24/44? 24/88?) or if the HDTracks files came from a lower res file and is simply upconverted but either way the difference in sound quality, in my opinion, does not warrant purchase. This release fails to demonstrate the benefits of hi-res files which is a real shame. I will pass on the hi-res redux version. My cd (not to mention vinyl copy which sounds very nice) will suffice. Along the way I re-discovered that the original cd sounds really good as is!!
    Post edited by j3brow1 on
  • Options
    both releases on hdtracks are getting very negative reviews on audiophile forum sites. i found this through one:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.p ... _album=ten
  • Options
    mr_perfect wrote:
    both releases on hdtracks are getting very negative reviews on audiophile forum sites. i found this through one:

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.p ... _album=ten

Ouch, that's brutal. I listened to the Redux version over speakers and wasn't that impressed with it, need to listen again with proper headphones.

Just read on HDTracks Facebook that VS is on their upcoming releases list, hopefully that will be a little bit better.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    Vs. (Remastered) Audiophile 96kHz/24bit is now available over @ https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file ... 6444193900
  • Options
    supernaut1125supernaut1125 Denver, CO Posts: 255
    demetrios wrote:
    Vs. (Remastered) Audiophile 96kHz/24bit is now available over @ https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file ... 6444193900
    Looks like a matter of time before my 3 favorite albums (Vitalogy, No Code & Yield) make their way there too. This seriously made my day when I got their newsletter.
    If you don't know anything about HD Audio, this would be a great starting point. Anything in 24 bit sounds like hearing some songs for the first time. Always thought HDTracks was a bit pricey, but really are worth every penny.
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    I've been thinking of jumping into 24 bit music. Just need to do a little more research on the system requirements and equipment needed. My apple stuff is getting a little long in the tooth. Thanks for sharing. Justin
    I got myself a cheap DAC, the FiiO E10. It does a great job and utilizes your USB port so no installing a sound card. I know I just said this in the last post, but all HD Audio is superior (to me at least) to any vinyl rips that are out there on the internet. I can't get enough of them and I believe that LB will be released in a 24 bit form, Also, if you think the 88kHz sounds good, check out some of the Rolling Stones 176kHz https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX00018771900429 or even better than that is the Stones 192kHz https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX00018771029021
    Simply brilliant!
  • Options
    Sounds like a winning combo. You are not using Apple stuff are you? I'm not sure ITunes supports 24 bit. I'm also not sure if my mac book would be able to do it.

Justin
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    Looks like a matter of time before my 3 favorite albums (Vitalogy, No Code & Yield) make their way there too. This seriously made my day when I got their newsletter.
    If you don't know anything about HD Audio, this would be a great starting point. Anything in 24 bit sounds like hearing some songs for the first time. Always thought HDTracks was a bit pricey, but really are worth every penny.

I'm not sure No Code & Yield will be released just yet. Looks like the 3 Legacy Edition releases, will be released first. Then we'll have to wait till the remastered No Code & Yield albums get released.

Anyone check to see if the septnew10 code still works?
  • Options
    buck502000 wrote:
    Sounds like a winning combo. You are not using Apple stuff are you? I'm not sure ITunes supports 24 bit. I'm also not sure if my mac book would be able to do it.

Justin
    I actually convert all my music to Apple Lossless. iTunes and your Mac can handle all the 24 bit formats. Only thing is if you have iTunes Match, anything over 96kHz won't upload to iCloud. I recommend getting J River Media Center. It is the go to media player for audiophiles and blows away iTunes for playback.
  • Options
    Vitalogy coming next week according to HDTracks Facebook page.

VS seems to be getting ok comments from the computeraudiophile forum. Might have to download that one one of these days. It's compressed, but not as badly as Ten.
  • Options
    mrk2 wrote:
    Vitalogy coming next week according to HDTracks Facebook page.

VS seems to be getting ok comments from the computeraudiophile forum. Might have to download that one one of these days. It's compressed, but not as badly as Ten.

Awesome! :)

Wonder if they will re upload a new source download for Ten.
  • Options
    here is a dr rating for vs on hdtracks

http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/index.p ... _album=+vs

unfortunately no comparison to the recent remastered cd/vinyl...only the 93 versions
  • Options
    Pearl Jam's Vitalogy Audiophile 96kHz/24bit is up now ..

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file ... 6444193924

USE THE CODE 'septsale' TO GET 10% OFF ON THIS TITLE!
  • Options
    Ah, what just happened? Pearl Jam is not listed anymore over @ hdtracks.com. Ten, Ten Redux, Vs (Remastered) & Vitalogy (Remastered) 24 Bit Flacs were available for a while now. Now gone?

:shock:
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    search "pearl jam ten", then the pearl jam titles come up. "Pearl Jam" by itself, nothing.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    search "pearl jam ten", then the pearl jam titles come up. "Pearl Jam" by itself, nothing.

Thanks!

Will bookmark http://www.hdtracks.com/music/artist/view/id/5630/ now.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited December 2013
    I have been doing all of my conversions of my vinyl and tape to 24bit 96khz FLACs using Sound Forge Pro for several years now. Using J River or WinAMP, I can play them natively at 24bit 96khz through my home theater setup or use the DAC setup to get them into the tube amplifier. If you don't have a digital output from your computer to an amp that can recognize those 96khz files or know what a DAC is, then you're probably wasting your money. Through headphones, unless they're super high end, WOM. Just my opinion.

It's next to it's IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between a straight CD and a 24bit 88kHz "HD Track".
    On a blind test, 9 or 10 people couldn't tell the difference between a 128kb mp3 and a 24bit 88kHz "HD Track".

If you're using Windows and don't have Sound Forge Pro then Buy the 12 dollar CD and rip it using the highest quality Windows Media Player Lossless in WMP click tools and options and then

wmp_zpsa25323cb.jpg

or set your prefs in iTunes to rip your CDs in Apple Lossless.

Or buy another copy of Ten.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    lightning bolt is now up on hdtracks...24 bit 44khz
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Figured this is a good thread to revive with the hype surrounding PONO. Anyone download the available PJ selections from HDtracks?
    Post edited by buck502000 on