Options

Acoustic body styles - whats the difference

kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 58
edited September 2013 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, i have never understood the difference in acoustic guitar body styles. Dreadnaught, concert, grand performer. Whatever. Other than shaep, is there a sound difference between the various options? Is it comfort? Personal preference? Anyone an expert?

Thanks.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,767
    Here's an excellent link that describes the various shapes and sizes. A great reference for choosing an acoustic guitar style:

http://holeinthewood.com/body_shape?zen ... 7943e1n9p6

Parlor
    With a few exceptions, the parlor is the smallest acoustic guitar body size. Measuring about 13 inches at the lower bout, parlor guitars generally also have necks that meet the body at the 12th fret. Parlor guitars tend to have an intimate voice perfect for light fingerpicking, and because they're comfortable to hold, they are an excellent choice for smaller players.

Classical Size
    Based on the the design of Spanish luthier Antonio Torres in the mid 1800s, classical guitars are similar in proportions to the parlor yet considerably larger on the upper bout with deeper depth. Classical guitars are generally smaller than the more modern steel string acoustics.
    Their compact proportions have a purpose of course: since proper classical playing position dictates the body and neck to be angled upward, the size of the body needs to be a manageable size, able to fit in a pocket between the players chest and knees.

Concert (O)*
    Measuring about 13½" at the lower bout, O-size guitars were considered large when they were introduced in the mid-19th century. Today, they are an excellent bridge between a parlor - which some players find too small-and larger guitars, offering great playability and intimate tones.

Grand Concert (OO)*
    Typically measuring about 14¼" at the lower bout, the OO's larger dimensions produce a more muscular voice that works well for a variety of playing styles. This size is often used for acoustic-electric guitars because it offers a balance between good acoustic sound and controlled resonance when amplified.
    Auditorium / Orchestra Model / Grand Auditorium (OOO/OM/GA)*

OOO-size (aka OM for Orchestra Model or GA for Grand Auditorium) guitars measure about 15" at the lower bout. This size has become the blueprint for many "small bodied" guitars and produces a great balance between volume, tonal balance and playing comfort. The OM designation was pioneered by Martin and is identical in body size to a OOO, but with a slightly longer neck and wider nut (typically 1¾" instead of 11 1⁄16" of the OOO and GA).

Dreadnought
    Introduced by Martin & Co. in the 1920's, the Dreadnought is the most popular body shape of all and is THE perennial bluegrass favorite. Surpassed in size only by the Jumbo, the Dreadnought was named for its large size after the British battleship H.M.S. Dreadnought. It measures 15 5⁄8" at the lower bout with a waist that's less pronounced than other acoustic body shapes.
    Dreadnoughts are also typically quite deep, resulting in a lot more volume and a meaty, muscular voice. And while this size guitar is suited for flatpicking, the dreadnought can be quite versatile, and many players use it for strumming and fingerstyle playing alike.

Jumbo
    Measuring about 16 11⁄16" at the lower bout, the Jumbo guitar was introduced by Gibson Guitar as the extremely popular J-200 model in 1936. Inspired by the singing cowboy movie star Ray Corrigan this guitars has been less defined in its' tonality but more so with the country and rock-a-billy stars that were playing them.
    Jumbo's are perfect strummers, project loudly and are a great guitar for sitting around a campfire. Guitar-makers use the body style as a starting point for lightly braced finger-style guitars.

Student Guitar Sizes
    While we've found a fairly wide amount of variability, most manufacturers use the quarter sized system of classification for their Student Sized Acoustic Guitars. Based on the Classical Guitar design, this system establishes full size as 4/4, with the smaller guitars, like orchestral instruments, graded in quarters rather than random terms - the smallest of which is the 1/4 sized instruments.
    These proportions are generally differentiated by Scale Length or the length from the Bridge to the Nut. To give an example of the difference in scale sizes, a typical 1/4 size instrument from Jasmine Guitars (Takamine) has a scale length of 572 mm (about 22.5") while the full size classical guitar has a scale length between 650 and 660mm (about 25.5").
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    thanks for posting brian. great info there :D
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

Only one problem, gimme-- when I read these descriptions I think, "wouldn't it be nice to have one of those, or one of those, or one of those..." :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Thanks for digging this up and posting. Appreciate your response.
  • Options
    brianlux wrote:

Only one problem, gimme-- when I read these descriptions I think, "wouldn't it be nice to have one of those, or one of those, or one of those..." :lol:
    yeah i am the same way. why do you think i avoid new gear demos these days?? i have more than i can ever use at the moment :fp:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

yeah i am the same way. why do you think i avoid new gear demos these days?? i have more than i can ever use at the moment :fp:

So this is what your living room looks like, huh? :lol:

abc_zps8e093a47.jpg

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

abc_zps8e093a47.jpg
    not quite lol...i do have at least one guitar out and on a stand in each room of my house though. i even have my blue/teal sg in my bedroom next to the dresser in case i feel like playing after making love.... or playing to get someone into the mood to make love....

TMI, i know...

:fp: :fp:

• Options
    brianlux wrote:

abc_zps8e093a47.jpg
    not quite lol...i do have at least one guitar out and on a stand in each room of my house though. i even have my blue/teal sg in my bedroom next to the dresser in case i feel like playing after making love.... or playing to get someone into the mood to make love....

TMI, i know...

:lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    brianlux wrote:
    brianlux wrote:

abc_zps8e093a47.jpg

TMI, i know...

:oops: :oops:

• Options
    but back on topic, i am a big fan of the dreadnaught. i do not have one, but i have played a few of them. just so resonent and such beautiful tone.

i am thinking that when i thin the herd of my electrics that i will either sell them and take that money, or trade them in, for a nice, vintage, well worn in. dreadnaught.

• Options
    but back on topic, i am a big fan of the dreadnaught. i do not have one, but i have played a few of them. just so resonent and such beautiful tone.

i am thinking that when i thin the herd of my electrics that i will either sell them and take that money, or trade them in, for a nice, vintage, well worn in. dreadnaught.

Definitely dreadnaught has the most advantages overall. It's no wonder they are most often the no. 1 choice. If you test drive one maybe ask for a sound booth or insulated room and give it a good play/listen. I've bought a few on impulse in that past and had to unload them later.