Options

Stand up for Canada? What a joke!

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    This is outrageous and REALLY pisses me off!!!!! Fuck Rogers, Telus, and Bell!!! And Fido, a subsidiary of Rogers, and my provider. They just totally screwed me out of an early upgrade that they've been telling me I could have for the past 2 years. Just yanked it out from under me for no reason, and then happily suggested that I pay them $200 to buy out the remainder of my contract so that I can get the upgrade when they've been saying I should have gotten it all this time. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I almost lost it at the kiosk at the mall. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Considering Wal Mart is now the largest employer in Canada and a devastated manufacturing sector in which we now have more and more people at the lower end of the income scale ... I bet sure appreciate Wal Mart.

A US cell provider will be entering the Canadian market at some point. Keep them out line of thinking sounds like so many people in the 70s about foreign cars.

walmart is nowhere close to being the largest employer in canada and you think the desolation of small businesses is good for canadians!?? ...

I guess surprisingly there not. But I don't much care ... Competition part of the way business is conducted these days ... The foreign car manufacturers put a hurt on the Detroit 3 ... Not just because they might have been cheaper but because people got better quality and service (or at least they feel they do). I buy my music off an independent because he offers better service. And price wise is pretty competitive same as my photography equipment, same price as the big box stores ... Some mom and pop shops don't always offer the best service. When I can buy a pair of shorts for $7 at Wal Mart or Target why would anyone pay 30-40 for the same shit. Really most people aren't made of money. So if Verizon can come in and buy Wind and offer the same package with nationwide coverage then it'll be by by fuck you Rogers. I'm sure some of them fucking profits are being dumped into that overpaid baseball team or that stadium that they got a cushy deal on ... Same with bell.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    This is outrageous and REALLY pisses me off!!!!! Fuck Rogers, Telus, and Bell!!! And Fido, a subsidiary of Rogers, and my provider. They just totally screwed me out of an early upgrade that they've been telling me I could have for the past 2 years. Just yanked it out from under me for no reason, and then happily suggested that I pay them $200 to buy out the remainder of my contract so that I can get the upgrade when they've been saying I should have gotten it all this time. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: I almost lost it at the kiosk at the mall. :lol:

You are exactly right ... Similar has happened to me ... I changed my plan with Rogers and the dude said this will not extend my contract ... Had year left, went to cancel at the end ... This dude locked me in for 3 more years ... So yes I am really hoping Verizon buy Wind.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    Some people apparently think most of us are loaded with $$$ ... In most cases give me the best deal ... I didn't start this global economy ... I like most Canadians know inflation has far outpaced wage gains, so I'll continue to look for the best bang for my buck.

If that means shopping at Wal Mart or signing up with Verizon (some day) ... So be it ...

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Some people apparently think most of us are loaded with $$$ ... In most cases give me the best deal ... I didn't start this global economy ... I like most Canadians know inflation has far outpaced wage gains, so I'll continue to look for the best bang for my buck.

If that means shopping at Wal Mart or signing up with Verizon (some day) ... So be it ...
    Yeah, I'm with you. I don't feel good about shopping at Wal-Mart, but I do, because really I can't afford not to for exactly the reason you mention. Wage increases aren't even CLOSE to what inflation is. It's like both the government and pretty much all businesses are pretending that inflation doesn't exist, and it's been like that for 10 years at least. And it's especially terrible for people in Vancouver, where the cost of living has literally doubled or tripled in many areas during the last decade, while salaries are pretty much stagnant. I can't NOT pay half price for certain items when I am able to. It sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it...... I will fully admit, though, that this puts me in the position of being a huge hypocrite. :(
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't feel good about shopping at Wal-Mart, but I do, because really I can't afford not to for exactly the reason you mention. Wage increases aren't even CLOSE to what inflation is. It's like both the government and pretty much all businesses are pretending that inflation doesn't exist, and it's been like that for 10 years at least. And it's especially terrible for people in Vancouver, where the cost of living has literally doubled or tripled in many areas during the last decade, while salaries are pretty much stagnant. I can't NOT pay half price for certain items when I am able to. It sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it...... I will fully admit, though, that this puts me in the position of being a huge hypocrite. :(

I have no idea how people live in Vancouver ... house prices are ridiculous, the average house price is what a million or so now ... crazy.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I have no idea how people live in Vancouver ... house prices are ridiculous, the average house price is what a million or so now ... crazy.
    Yeah. It blows. The thing is, it has a LOT of other things going for it, particularly the weather and the beauty and the close proximity to the US plus a plethora of different landscapes and weather that allow for all kinds of experiences and activities. It's kind of paradise in some ways. But yes, it sucks that we have to pay for how desirable it is. Big time. How we do it is how they do it in Manhattan. Rely on rent control and never move, live in small crappy places but with great locations, or get our parents to lend or give us down payments for homes that we'll never pay off. I have personally chosen option A combined with option B. My parents are not interested in option C. Gonna have to wait for the inheritance (which is option D!). :lol:
    And on top of all that, my fucking basic phone bill with data is $75/month minimum. :X My cable bill is $150! :o
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Yeah. It blows. The thing is, it has a LOT of other things going for it, particularly the weather and the beauty and the close proximity to the US plus a plethora of different landscapes and weather that allow for all kinds of experiences and activities. It's kind of paradise in some ways. But yes, it sucks that we have to pay for how desirable it is. Big time. How we do it is how they do it in Manhattan. Rely on rent control and never move, live in small crappy places but with great locations, or get our parents to lend or give us down payments for homes that we'll never pay off. I have personally chosen option A combined with option B. My parents are not interested in option C. Gonna have to wait for the inheritance (which is option D!). :lol:
    And on top of all that, my fucking basic phone bill with data is $75/month minimum. :X My cable bill is $150! :o

Maybe you can sweet talk them into option C :lol::lol::lol: never know. Yes your paying for the lifestyle, similar to people in San Diego the lifestyle. No where in Ontario would I consider that (maybe up along the Georgian Bay) but that would be it.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Maybe you can sweet talk them into option C :lol::lol::lol: never know. Yes your paying for the lifestyle, similar to people in San Diego the lifestyle. No where in Ontario would I consider that (maybe up along the Georgian Bay) but that would be it.
    Oh trust me. I've done all the sweet talking I can muster. It's a no go. :lol: Interesting, because literally all of my friends' parents have helped them out (or died - I don't want that!!). I'm the only one I know who has been left to fend for herself in this housing market, and not quite sure why, because my parents could afford it. I think they just haven't accepted the reality of how things are now. They are still stuck back in the 80s when everyone could afford a home. Yet when I tell them that sometimes I think about getting the hell out of Vancouver because of the insane cost of living, my mom acts horrified that I'd move away. :roll: But anyway, it does help that I grew up here and my parents are here, and a few close and great friends. Without them, I just might be gone. I don't even really like the people in Vancouver in the general sense. Many are very unfriendly and insular. Everyone just keeps their head down. Lame and boring. But still, It's home, and I'm comfortable and happy and surrounded by beauty, albeit in a more difficult financial position than most of my peers elsewhere, or those whose parents understand the situation. Still, I've got it better than most people in the world, and for that I am thankful! I mean, how bad can it be. I've got a vinyl and PJ addiction and still manage to pay the bills - it can't be THAT tough! ;)

And to maintain thread integrity: I am absolutely going to do some research between now and April 2014 when my current Fido contract runs out. I've been a VERY good Fido customer for 12 years - usually have a credit on my bill - yet they won't even let me have an upgrade when they said I'd get one? Fuck them. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences to share re Western Canada cell providers and good service combined with good pricing (especially for data plans) over the next while as things change in the Canadian market, that would be cool. :)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Oh trust me. I've done all the sweet talking I can muster. It's a no go. :lol: Interesting, because literally all of my friends' parents have helped them out (or died - I don't want that!!). I'm the only one I know who has been left to fend for herself in this housing market, and not quite sure why, because my parents could afford it. I think they just haven't accepted the reality of how things are now. They are still stuck back in the 80s when everyone could afford a home. Yet when I tell them that sometimes I think about getting the hell out of Vancouver because of the insane cost of living, my mom acts horrified that I'd move away. :roll: But anyway, it does help that I grew up here and my parents are here, and a few close and great friends. Without them, I just might be gone. I don't even really like the people in Vancouver in the general sense. Many are very unfriendly and insular. Everyone just keeps their head down. Lame and boring. But still, It's home, and I'm comfortable and happy and surrounded by beauty, albeit in a more difficult financial position than most of my peers elsewhere, or those whose parents understand the situation. Still, I've got it better than most people in the world, and for that I am thankful! I mean, how bad can it be. I've got a vinyl and PJ addiction and still manage to pay the bills - it can't be THAT tough! ;)

And to maintain thread integrity: I am absolutely going to do some research between now and April 2014 when my current Fido contract runs out. I've been a VERY good Fido customer for 12 years - usually have a credit on my bill - yet they won't even let me have an upgrade when they said I'd get one? Fuck them. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences to share re Western Canada cell providers and good service combined with good pricing (especially for data plans) over the next while as things change in the Canadian market, that would be cool. :)

Have you tried customer retention ... or maybe in a year there will be a new player in town ... I've went through customer retention with Rogers ... they have far more flexibility than regular customer service.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Have you tried customer retention ... or maybe in a year there will be a new player in town ... I've went through customer retention with Rogers ... they have far more flexibility than regular customer service.
    I have not. I have called customer service and made my case, and did ask if there was anyone else I could speak with, and the chick just swore up and down that no matter who I spoke with I'd get the same answer. :problem: I will do a little fishing and see if I can't find something like customer retention at Fido and write to them. Thx!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    i been saying it for years now

"if you can avoid running on celluar phone service, please do so" - chad

seriously. get a bullshit cellular phone plan for your travels if you must... use the old fashion landline at the house.
    also, shutting down companies can & should happen. if every single person did just one simple manuver we the people would be in control at a constant & companies would be more respectful & treat us w/ decency
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    when we (two friends & i) drove semi trucks through BC the yukon & alaska our cellphones all collapsed. i suppose because we were using phones from the u.s.? well, also northern bc & all of the yukon & most of alaska are populated by moose, caribou & bears, trees & snow, sometimes there were people
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    i been saying it for years now

"if you can avoid running on celluar phone service, please do so" - chad

seriously. get a bullshit cellular phone plan for your travels if you must... use the old fashion landline at the house.
    also, shutting down companies can & should happen. if every single person did just one simple manuver we the people would be in control at a constant & companies would be more respectful & treat us w/ decency
    Screw that! I love my smartphone!!! I'm totally cool with going off the grid when on vacation and stuff, but I think it's awesome to have internet access everywhere I go. It comes in at least super handy and at times invaluable (not literally) every single day. Plus, I also use it as my home computer.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    polaris_x wrote:
    because things aren't so black and white ... consider walmart ... if cheap stuff is all one cares about - sure ... but the issue has implications to jobs and long term implications ...

Except the cheap stuff they sell at walmart is essentially the exact same cheap stuff they sell at Loblaws and Canadian Tire, so why single out walmart?
  • Options
    Verizon not interested in expanding into Canada, CEO says

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/ ... =1772-9cf5

I wonder if this is like sports when the GM says the coach is safe and then the next day he's fired. Maybe Verizon is just saying that then boom they buy wind :lol::lol:. Either way I doubt we heard the last of this and hopefully another big telecom gets in the Canadian market.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

I wonder if this is like sports when the GM says the coach is safe and then the next day he's fired. Maybe Verizon is just saying that then boom they buy wind :lol::lol:. Either way I doubt we heard the last of this and hopefully another big telecom gets in the Canadian market.

I heard about this, this morning and it made me kind of laugh. I wonder if they ever had plans to expand into Canada? If they did it is kind of funny since then it means Bell/Rogers/Telus must have spent millions on that ad campaign for no reason.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

I heard about this, this morning and it made me kind of laugh. I wonder if they ever had plans to expand into Canada? If they did it is kind of funny since then it means Bell/Rogers/Telus must have spent millions on that ad campaign for no reason.

Good point ...

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:

:evil: Hopefully soon. Or at least maybe the government/CRTC will fucking smarten up.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canada ... 57880.html

By Michael Oliveira, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - If you've opened a newspaper or turned on a radio in the past month or two, you've probably caught the barrage of ads bought by Canada's big wireless companies ominously warning about the perils of a potential move by U.S giant Verizon up north.

The Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association industry group also bought ads suggesting that consumers wouldn't benefit from an American competitor opening shop here. The ads quoted two independent reports that claim our prices are lower than what consumers pay in the U.S.

"Wireless rates in Canada are typically lower than in the U.S., in some cases up to 40 per cent lower and smartphone monthly plans are actually less expensive in Canada than in the U.S.," read the ads.

Bell, Rogers and Telus got good news on Sunday, when Verizon said it currently has no interest in moving to Canada.

But are the claims of low Canadian prices true? The Canadian Press compared the prices currently being promoted by the larger mobile providers on both sides of the border to see how the numbers stacked up. The comparison omits pre-paid packages and does not account for activation costs and other fees, which are sometimes waived by promotions. But keep in mind many carriers do charge $35 as a setup fee, which amortizes to just under $1.50 a month on a two-year contract. All prices are before taxes.

Phone only

It may be difficult for web-obsessed users to imagine, but some consumers still see their mobile device as a telephone first. For them, the cheapest rate offered by both Rogers and Bell is $30 for 200 minutes of talk time. In the U.S., it doesn't get cheaper than $40 for a basic voice plan.

Cheapest data package

It'll cost you at least $45 to $50 to get a package that includes an allotment of megabytes to use for mobile web browsing, with Bell currently offering the best deal: 150 minutes of talk time and 400 megabytes of Internet activity for $45. U.S. pricing is no cheaper, although T-Mobile offers a plan for just $5 more that includes unlimited calling and 500 megabytes of data.

Unlimited calling, two gigabytes of data

Here, Americans get a better deal. Bells and Rogers have promotions at this tier for $75 a month. A similar plan with T-Mobile in the U.S. is $60 and it comes with 2.5 gigabytes of data.

All-you-can-download data plan

The U.S. companies win this one by default, since Bell, Rogers and Telus don't offer unlimited data plans. T-Mobile charges $70 for unlimited calls and data while Sprint bills $80 for that plan. Meanwhile, a Bell promo is currently offering unlimited calling and six gigabytes of data for $105.

Shareable plans

Most mobile carriers are encouraging consumers to round up their family members on a single bill to get group savings. With Rogers, for example, two users can get unlimited calling and share an allotment of six gigabytes at a cost of $80 each. If three users are on the same plan sharing those six gigabytes, the price drops to about $72 each. In the U.S. with Sprint and T-Mobile, unlimited data and calling for two users on a shared account is $75 each. It's just $50 apiece for three users on T-Mobile.

What's Verizon's best deal?

More competition is always a good thing but there's not much about Verizon's current pricing down south to really get Canadian consumers excited — even if the company was interested in moving here. Verizon is heavily pushing the shared-plan concept, to the detriment of individual customers. The cheapest voice and data plan is $80 for unlimited calling and 500 megabytes to surf with. Rogers and Bell are currently charging $60 for the same package. The shared plans offer better value, especially with three or more users on the same account, but are still pretty close to Canadian pricing.

So who's got the better prices?

There is no definitive answer as to whether there's better mobile pricing in Canada or the U.S.; consumers in both countries win some and lose some. We get the best deals on cheaper, low-end plans. Consumers who are willing to give the smaller mobile providers a shot in some cases they're owned by the big three mobile companies anyway can sometimes find better pricing with those upstarts. But Americans do seem to enjoy more economical access to the mobile web and can burn through gigabytes at a lower cost.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

that's all fine and dandy ... but say you work at local grocer or store that got put out of business because of walmart ... it's easy to always look out for ourselves but eventually, it always leads to a shittier result ...

yeah ... you can buy a $10 fry pan at walmart that will last 5 months and then you will go buy another cuz they are cheap ... but meanwhile ... you're just consuming and consuming shit products ... that some lady overseas is getting paid $2 a day to make ...

what ultimately happens is what is happening now ... the wealth continually getting concentrated amongst the small few while more and more people struggle ... and because of that ... we perpetuate a global economic system that continues to benefit the few ...
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. If there are 3 different companies providing Canadians with phone service, how is it a monopoly?
  • Options
    I didn't read the entire thread, so I apologize if this has been answered. If there are 3 different companies providing Canadians with phone service, how is it a monopoly?

It's not a monopoly ... as a matter of fact it really not even close to a monopoly in Canada. There are 3 really big and a bunch of smaller companies ... my general opinion of the cell phone market is this ... poor customer service, the 3 year contract (which now just became illegal), high data rates (very seldom do you see anyone with unlimited data), nationwide calling, and my biggest beef is us roaming, unless your phone is unlocked and you've got a sim card from a 3rd party company for use in the us your phone is somewhat useless unless your wallet is bulging with cash.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

that's all fine and dandy ... but say you work at local grocer or store that got put out of business because of walmart ... it's easy to always look out for ourselves but eventually, it always leads to a shittier result ...

yeah ... you can buy a $10 fry pan at walmart that will last 5 months and then you will go buy another cuz they are cheap ... but meanwhile ... you're just consuming and consuming shit products ... that some lady overseas is getting paid $2 a day to make ...

what ultimately happens is what is happening now ... the wealth continually getting concentrated amongst the small few while more and more people struggle ... and because of that ... we perpetuate a global economic system that continues to benefit the few ...

well that may be so ... but the bottom line is people's wages aren't keeping up with inflation ... mine included ... so if needing something I'll have to search for the best deal and that option for me includes the states. That's just the way it is now, I guess a sign of the times.

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    well that may be so ... but the bottom line is people's wages aren't keeping up with inflation ... mine included ... so if needing something I'll have to search for the best deal and that option for me includes the states. That's just the way it is now, I guess a sign of the times.

soo ... do you think a company like walmart or verizon coming in improves wages? ... it's the short-term thinking that is the root of our problems in both as an economic system and overall philosophy ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

All-you-can-download data plan

The U.S. companies win this one by default, since Bell, Rogers and Telus don't offer unlimited data plans. T-Mobile charges $70 for unlimited calls and data while Sprint bills $80 for that plan. Meanwhile, a Bell promo is currently offering unlimited calling and six gigabytes of data for $105.

I read this article and it had me curious. I was in the US last week and there was a sign in walmart about how you could sign up for a phone plan that was nationwide unlimited talk/text/data for something like $45 a month (with no contract). Why bother comparing all those other options head to head when you have something like that available in the US for so cheap. That is cheaper than my crappy Rogers home phone.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Email-Delivery-Straight-Talk-Unlimited-Text-Talk-and-Web-Access-30-Day-Service-Card/15443344
  • Options
    I read this article and it had me curious. I was in the US last week and there was a sign in walmart about how you could sign up for a phone plan that was nationwide unlimited talk/text/data for something like $45 a month (with no contract). Why bother comparing all those other options head to head when you have something like that available in the US for so cheap. That is cheaper than my crappy Rogers home phone.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Email-Delivery-Straight-Talk-Unlimited-Text-Talk-and-Web-Access-30-Day-Service-Card/15443344

Wind has a $40 a month unlimited plan

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/voice-plans.aspx
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

soo ... do you think a company like walmart or verizon coming in improves wages? ... it's the short-term thinking that is the root of our problems in both as an economic system and overall philosophy ...

No I don't think they improve wages ... Canadian Tire or The Superstore aren't necessarily the best paid jobs either. Retail in general are not great paying jobs ... one really should not look to retail as a career path, but many have been forced to rake these jobs due to the fact that so many manufacturing jobs are gone and never coming back. I believe it was Zehr's who converted a bunch of the corporate stores into No Frills so they could eliminate the good paying UNION JOBS with benefits.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:

Wind has a $40 a month unlimited plan

http://www.windmobile.ca/en/Pages/voice-plans.aspx

...and you pay roaming fees if your not in their home area ... so that 40 is deceiving.

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

I don't buy cheap crap. Ever. I would never buy a $10 fry pan or any other product that doesn't last (i.e. I go to The Umbrella Shoppe - a local small business - at Granville Island Market to buy my umbrellas, and they are expensive and last. I would never pick up a $10 umbrella from Wal-mart. I spend more for things that are high quality. I go to Wal-mart for things that don't vary in quality. I.e. name brand beauty products and store brand medications/pharmaceuticals. No way am I shopping at Wal-mart for a $5 pair of pants or whatever. My business has not moved from any small business. Nothing that I would buy at a small business has been replaced by Wal-mart. If i wasn't buying the stuff that I do buy from Wal-mart there, I'd be buying it from London Drugs or Safeway or Superstore or whatever. Also, I can't think of a single local business that sells stuff like normal frying pans or name brand face wash. Any store I know of that sells that stuff is either super high end or a chain. I know that my purchases from Wal-mart have no impact whatsoever on anything (yeah yeah, if everyone says that, then blah blah... moot issue). I sleep fine at night. Especially since I literally pay HALF for stuff at Wal-mart in many cases, and that is not compared to local small businesses. That's compared to other big chains like Safeway and Sears.