Options

Rock & Roll HOF Induction Eligibility Countdown: 2years

2»

Comments

• Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    The head honchos who determine this have a proven track record of voting in popular bands and blowing off acts that aren't household names, regardless of their influence.

Personally I find it a joke the Paul Butterfield Blues Band isn't in there. An interacial 60's blues band that backed dylan at Newport in 1965, played at Monterey and woodstock and opened a generation of white kids to the blues. Also their music is great. :)

Check out their 1965 self titled debut and 1966's East West.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406
    mr_perfect wrote:
    sorry all but aic is a pipe dream...(its like saying poison should also be in)

soundgarden and smashing pumpkins are bubble candidates at best imho

pj and nirvana will be 1st time candidates

this is a pretty decent list of who is not in that probably should be

http://www.notinhalloffame.com/rock-and-roll

unfortuately after pj and nirvana it'll start being r&b and rap acts as this music has dominated the mainstream mid 90s to now....

He has Nirvana number 1 and they're eligible next year. So that makes no sense.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    mr_perfect wrote:
    unfortuately after pj and nirvana it'll start being r&b and rap acts as this music has dominated the mainstream mid 90s to now....

Radiohead?
    Also, I see nothing wrong with having Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z, and Wu-Tang Clan inducted.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    mr_perfect wrote:

Radiohead?
    Also, I see nothing wrong with having Tupac Shakur, The Notorious B.I.G., Jay-Z, and Wu-Tang Clan inducted.

Also Tool and several other big bands of the generation. They're not gonna leave out the the most influential band of the 90s. We're talking about the 2nd biggest generation of rock music. That's not even counting acts that are still missing and 2000s bands that are likely candidates.

I can't believe anybody would call PJ a lock and then say no AIC or other bands from that generation or since.
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    mr_perfect wrote:

I agree with you about AIC & Soundgarden. Love their music, definitely not HoF material as far as I'm concerned. However, I think Nirvana is on the bubble as well. Their impact on music compared to other bands of the time period is just a touch above negligible. Tragedy certainly took what might have been, but there's no point in arguing what we already know. While I never completely disliked Nirvana's music, I never thought it was that thought-provoking or prolific enough to be lauded as much as it was, and I'm not sure it's stood the test of time. Somewhat overrated IMO.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    mr_perfect wrote:

Radiohead?

Also Tool and several other big bands of the generation. They're not gonna leave out the the most influential band of the 90s. We're talking about the 2nd biggest generation of rock music. That's not even counting acts that are still missing and 2000s bands that are likely candidates.

I can't believe anybody would call PJ a lock and then say no AIC or other bands from that generation or since.

I don't even know if Pearl Jam is first ballot worthy or not. If bands like New Order/Joy Division and The Replacements aren't there yet, what business does Pearl Jam have being there?
  • Options
    TyTy Posts: 1,007
    Tboz51 wrote:
    Pap wrote:
    And of course, I wait Dave Krusen, Matt Chamberlain, Dave Abbruzzese and Jack Irons to be presented.

Eddie is all for most of that list. :-)

Will be interesting, because Dave A. was so vital to their hard sound and HUGE success and growth. He definitely should be involved and inducted. Playing a song with each drummer would be rad! Matt Chamberlain was a ring-in who doesn't deserve induction though.
    PJ - Sydney 1998; Sydney 2003; Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle 2006; Melbourne, Sydney 2009; Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney 2014.
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle, Sydney 2011; Sydney 2014.
  • Options
    mr_perfectmr_perfect Posts: 145
    mr_perfect wrote:

I agree with you about AIC & Soundgarden. Love their music, definitely not HoF material as far as I'm concerned. However, I think Nirvana is on the bubble as well. Their impact on music compared to other bands of the time period is just a touch above negligible. Tragedy certainly took what might have been, but there's no point in arguing what we already know. While I never completely disliked Nirvana's music, I never thought it was that thought-provoking or prolific enough to be lauded as much as it was, and I'm not sure it's stood the test of time. Somewhat overrated IMO.

guns n roses got in on their first year of eligibility only releasing 3 full studio albums (even though illusions was tecnically a double album)

to me nirvana had the same impact, if not more, as them even going as far as critics claiming nevermind to be the top album on the 90s.

in the grand sceme of things the hall is a glorified popularity contest voted on buy a bunch of old farts who were raised on 60/70s music. it had to be "popular" music from 80s on to get any consideration

aic/tool never had a mainstream "hit" where as red hot chilli peppers, beastie boys, nirvana, soundgarden (black hole sun) and even smashing pumpkins did.
  • Options

Nirvana's impact is negligible? That's just a ridiculous statement. They're one of the most influential bands to come out of the 90s, without taking their initial impact into consideration. Add that in and there are only a few bands in the history of rock that can match the impact that they had. I agree they can be overblown and overrated for what they actually put out, but if they're on the bubble, just close the doors to the HoF and cancel future ceremonies b/c there's nobody getting in.

Soundgarden were never quite as big as PJ at their peak, but I feel they were as big as any band in the 90s once every thing settled in. They had quite a few tunes in steady rotation on MTV and never quite evolving, while maintaining huge success.

mr_perfect wrote:
    in the grand sceme of things the hall is a glorified popularity contest voted on buy a bunch of old farts who were raised on 60/70s music. it had to be "popular" music from 80s on to get any consideration

aic/tool never had a mainstream "hit" where as red hot chilli peppers, beastie boys, nirvana, soundgarden (black hole sun) and even smashing pumpkins did.

Man In the Box is right up there with Teen Spirit and Alive as 90s anthems and they were MTV regulars in their day. Hugely influential on the generation that followed. Now that they've come back, they're probably the most successful as far as getting their new music heard as any band from the era, PJ included.

Tool doesn't need a mainstream hit. They've steadily grown into the biggest act to come from the decade. Their albums top the charts when they come out and they headline festivals and sellout arenas across the world. They're wildly popular, all while doing things their way.
  • Options
    As far as rock music that is being influenced by Nirvana today, I'm not seeing it. Therefore, I stand by the marginally impactful statement, and believe their music has not stood the test of time.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    As far as rock music that is being influenced by Nirvana today, I'm not seeing it. Therefore, I stand by the marginally impactful statement, and believe their music has not stood the test of time.

lol
  • Options

Nearly all rock music is influenced by Nirvana. I'm not even a big fan, but the fact that alternative music even exists is thanks in huge part to Nirvana.

There was a wave of bands from the mid 90s to the early 2000s that were virtual Nirvana clones and their impact on the entire spectrum of popular music can't be overstated. Bands and artists that don't sound like Nirvana cite Cobain as an influence.

They're gonna go into the HoF and they'll be the headline act, regardless of who else is inducted.
  • Options
    Alternative music exists thanks to bands like The Cure, REM, The Smiths, Joy Division/New Order, CVB, Depeche Mode...(so many more)
    I'm not convinced the impact of Nirvana still stands today like the impact of the aforementioned bands. Nirvana will certainly get inducted into the HoF, but based on popularity.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    Jamminonthe1Jamminonthe1 Posts: 1,243
    DewieCox wrote:
    Man In the Box is right up there with Teen Spirit and Alive as 90s anthems.

As much as I put Nirvana at the bottom of MY list, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the most recognizable rock song of the 90s. By far. As in no contest with any other song. By anyone. Ever from the decade.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Man In the Box is right up there with Teen Spirit and Alive as 90s anthems.

As much as I put Nirvana at the bottom of MY list, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the most recognizable rock song of the 90s. By far. As in no contest with any other song. By anyone. Ever from the decade.

Fair enough. I was just disputing the notion that AIC had no hits. Man In A Box is among the most recognizable 90s tunes not called Smells Like Teen Spirit.
  • Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    I think one thing to remember is that the RNR HOF did not even open until 1983, so they are kind of playing catch up since that point, but I think they have "mostly" been pretty spot on when adding obvious bands when their first year of eligibility hits. I.e. Zeppelin, U2, etc.

Pearl Jam will be a first ballot HOF band as will Nirvana. If Guns N Roses can get in on the first crack, PJ and Nirvana will also. I will be stunned if this is not the case for either band.

And, while the list of bands not in already is lengthy they will probably not keep adding obvious/deserving bands to that list as they come up on eligibility.
  • Options
    Alternative music exists thanks to bands like The Cure, REM, The Smiths, Joy Division/New Order, CVB, Depeche Mode...(so many more)
    I'm not convinced the impact of Nirvana still stands today like the impact of the aforementioned bands. Nirvana will certainly get inducted into the HoF, but based on popularity.

It's ironic that you're convinced Nirvana had very little influence in music while posting in a Pearl Jam message board. You don't have to like, or even appreciate Nirvana, but to say they're only hall of fame worthy because of popularity is just stupid. Eddie would be the first one to tell you that Nirvana paved the way for Pearl Jam and every other band to come out in the early 90's. Their music changed a generation and turned a sub-culture into pop-culture. You can argue that Cobain only has this 'leader' status because of his suicide, like so many others do, but try not to forget that he was one of the biggest names in music when he died. The music world stopped the day his death was announced. How many artists have vigils on the anniversary of their death? Lennon and Cobain are two that come to mind; not too many articles written on the anniversary of Curtis' suicide, are there? Maybe start listening to Nirvana objectively. It's okay to like them :)
  • Options
    deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    Pap wrote:
    And of course, I wait Dave Krusen, Matt Chamberlain, Dave Abbruzzese and Jack Irons to be presented.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Options

It's ironic that you're convinced Nirvana had very little influence in music while posting in a Pearl Jam message board. You don't have to like, or even appreciate Nirvana, but to say they're only hall of fame worthy because of popularity is just stupid. Eddie would be the first one to tell you that Nirvana paved the way for Pearl Jam and every other band to come out in the early 90's. Their music changed a generation and turned a sub-culture into pop-culture. You can argue that Cobain only has this 'leader' status because of his suicide, like so many others do, but try not to forget that he was one of the biggest names in music when he died. The music world stopped the day his death was announced. How many artists have vigils on the anniversary of their death? Lennon and Cobain are two that come to mind; not too many articles written on the anniversary of Curtis' suicide, are there? Maybe start listening to Nirvana objectively. It's okay to like them :)

I agree to disagree, that's all. While I'm perhaps the only person on this forum that feels this way, I'm definitely not alone outside of it. It really has nothing to do with whether or not I like Nirvana, my argument is based on who made the greater impact, and I believe it's not them. To each his own, I'm not swayed either way.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

• Options
    AggAgg Posts: 462
    I kind of disagree about Nirvana's impact today. Being 22, I pretty much missed out on the early 90's when these bands were all at the peak of their popularity. However, I was always aware of Nirvana's music even before I was a fan. When I actually started getting into Nirvana/PJ/Soundgarden (still hate AIC), Nirvana songs were the only ones my friends recognized. I'm not saying that makes Nirvana the best out of these bands, but judging by what people my age are exposed to, Nirvana has had a huge impact and are still relevant to younger generations more so than the other 3 bands.
    2013: Wrigley Field, Pittsburgh, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Baltimore
    2014: Cincinnati
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2, Wrigley 1, Wrigley 2
    2017: Rock N Roll Hall of Fame Induction
    2018: Krakow, Chicago 1, Chicago 2, Boston 1, Boston 2
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    2 years!
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,190
    edited August 2014
    PJ is a lock for First Ballot, baby!!!

after quickly looking back on this thread
    I find it hilarious that some thought that Nirvana wouldn't/shouldn't get in

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore