Options

Lion at Chinese Zoo A Fraud

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
edited August 2013 in A Moving Train
:lol: :fp: Who was fooled by that?? :lol: It actually had to bark for people to realize it wasn't a lion?? Wtf??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-23714896

Chinese media reports said the zoo had replaced its genuine lion with a Tibetan mastiff dog.

A zoo official in Henan province said the dog - owned by one of the workers - was put in the cage when the real lion was sent away to a breeding centre.

Outraged visitors to the zoo in Louhe city said they had been cheated.

According to a report in the Beijing Youth Daily, the fraud came to light when a mother visited the zoo, in a park in the city of Louhe, to show her son the sounds different animals made.

But when they got to the cage marked "African lion" - which had a sign describing the range and characteristics of the animal - they were shocked to hear the creature bark.

It was then that zoo keepers revealed the so-called lion was actually a Tibetan mastiff, an animal that can have a furry brown coat, making it look a little like a lion.

The woman visitor, surnamed Liu, was quoted as saying: "The zoo is absolutely trying to cheat us. They are trying to disguise dogs as lions."

The chief of the park's animal department, Liu Suya, was quoted by the Beijing Youth Daily as saying the lion had been taken to a breeding facility and the Tibetan mastiff temporarily placed in its cage because of safety concerns.

Other species were also apparently mislabelled; there was a white fox in a leopard's den and another dog being passed off as a wolf.

_69301692_mastiff.jpg
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    My yellow lab looks more like a lion than that dog does.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    My yellow lab looks more like a lion than that dog does.
    I've got a friend who looks more like a lion than that dog does. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tomorrow's story is how the dog ended up on a menu at some restaurant for not doing it's job properly.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    Tomorrow's story is how the dog ended up on a menu at some restaurant for not doing it's job properly.
    And they'll pass it off as Giant Panda Bear soup. $100 a bowl.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Sweeeet. :lol:

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Both of you...sooo wrong.
    (but thanks for the laughs :P )
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Both of you...sooo wrong.
    (but thanks for the laughs :P )
    :shifty: :wave:
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Tibetan-Mastiff-Annoying.jpg

it is incredible how huge a tibetan mastiff is

google images "tibetan mastiff"
    the photo shown in the story is a poor photo of the breed in my opinion
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    Tibetan-Mastiff-Annoying.jpg

it is incredible how huge a tibetan mastiff is

google images "tibetan mastiff"
    the photo shown in the story is a poor photo of the breed in my opinion
    This one is definitely more lion-like because of the fierceness, but it still doesn't even come close to actually looking like a lion.... It's a dog. Doesn't look like a cat at all. :lol: But that is a cool dog.

FUN FACT: The most expensive dog in the world is a Tibetan Mastiff. Worth $1.5 million. :shock: This is him:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSe_swFoPnKc-0aa8bFySiN0L7xcUbE251YZGVDJlw6CuRN27Ay

Pretty fucking nice dog, but $1.5 million seems a bit steep. :P
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    the high dollar tibetan mastiff is the direct descendant of buddha, yes/no?
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    the high dollar tibetan mastiff is the direct descendant of buddha, yes/no?
    He does have a serene expression.... :think:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I've seen mutts at the shelter I'd consider as valuable!

The mastiff in that photo looks like a badass.

(and jeeza louisa, the pup version. Gah!)
    3PA3FWNLUI93.jpg
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    I've seen mutts at the shelter I'd consider as valuable!

The mastiff in that photo looks like a badass.

(and jeeza louisa, the pup version. Gah!)
    3PA3FWNLUI93.jpg
    cute-smiley-facebook.png
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Bravo!!! Order of Moo Goo Bow Wow up....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.