Options

Apple Mac Problems

ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
edited October 2013 in Technical Stuff and Help
I bought a MacBook Pro last week. Can anyone tell me why I'm unable to view photo's in Google Earth with my Mac? Do I need to download some software?

Also, my speakers don't work with my mac. Anyone know why that might be? Do I need to download some software for the sound too?

One more thing...I used to be able to download videos from Youtube using http://keepvid.com/ but now this doesn't work. I've downloaded the Java software but when I click to download the video nothing happens.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    The problem is.....you bought an Apple Mac. :lol:
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18
    Boston - 09.02.18, 09.04.18
  • Options
    mervin50mervin50 Posts: 217
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I bought a MacBook Pro last week. Can anyone tell me why I'm unable to view photo's in Google Earth with my Mac? Do I need to download some software?

Also, my speakers don't work with my mac. Anyone know why that might be? Do I need to download some software for the sound too?

One more thing...I used to be able to download videos from Youtube using http://keepvid.com/ but now this doesn't work. I've downloaded the Java software but when I click to download the video nothing happens.

Are you using Safari or another browser? I'd recommend taking a trip down to the Apple Store and book a session with one of the apple 'genius' to get it figured out.
  • Options
    mervin50 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Are you using Safari or another browser? I'd recommend taking a trip down to the Apple Store and book a session with one of the apple 'genius' to get it figured out.

I'm jumping between Safari & Firefox. problem is, my Chinese isn't good enough to have a technical chat about computer with a Chinese fella who speaks no English.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I use keep vid with safari no problem ...

for videos with firefox there is a plugin called video helper.

are you using external speakers? if so you might have to go into preference pane ... then sound and tweak the settings.

you could also go to here and ask your question http://forums.macrumors.com
    plenty of really knowledgeable people there.

or call apple support.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I use keep vid with safari no problem ...

for videos with firefox there is a plugin called video helper.

are you using external speakers? if so you might have to go into preference pane ... then sound and tweak the settings.

you could also go to here and ask your question http://forums.macrumors.com
    plenty of really knowledgeable people there.

or call apple support.

Thanks. I'll give those ideas a go.
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Hit F12 on your keyboard. It should turn the volume up...
  • Options
    So, I took everyone's advice and bought an Apple Mac, but there's three things that I can't do with it.

1. I can't view anyone's photo's in Google Earth - but strangely I can view my own, uploaded with Panoramio.

2. I can't download Youtube videos.

3. I can't stream anything. I just tried streaming the tennis final and was told I needed to install a plug-in. When I clicked on the link it took me to a page where I can download VLC player. I already have VLC Player!
  • Options
    Well, I've had this MacBook Pro now for a few weeks and I still can't view photo's in Google Earth, open flac files, download Youtube video's, or stream anything online.

Also, it seems to overheat quite a bit.

And I can't get any online assistance from Apple because I'm in China.

Starting to wish I'd bought a PC instead.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    all of those things work for me ... I know this is a silly suggestion but have you made sure your software is completely up to date. Other than you could have gotten a bad machine you'll need to somehow contact apple support or possibly return the machine. I'm sure if your having that many difficulties they'd exchange the machine. Good luck.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    It's sounds to me like you might be missing a Flash plugin. Go to adobe.com and download the latest update for Flash. But then again, what do I know...I can't even change my friggin avatar. :lol:
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    You do need a separate app to use Google Earth:

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

As far as I know, Google Earth isn't a very good tool for view photos. I use Picasa along with my Google+ account (on a Mac) and everything works fine.

Downloading youTube videos is actually quite easy on a Mac, if you know what you're looking for. Safari has an Activity window which lets you view content as it is downloaded to your machine. If you watch a video you'll see a lot of crap going on in the Activity window, but eventually you'll see a file that is larger than the rest. That's the video file - of course it's going to be in a format that you'll need to convert so you will need an FLV to MOV converter or something similar.

As far as sound, you will need to go to your system preferences and then the Output tab. Make sure your external speakers are selected.

Macs aren't worse, just different. Give yours a chance and I guarantee after a few months you'll love it. If not, put it on eBay and you'll probably get a good price. Also, there are TONS of resources online for the problems you mentioned having, so I'd recommend hitting the Google for any answers you need moving forward.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    This may be a silly question but did you try re-downloading java? Also ive noticed firefox works best (for me) with java yet theres still troubles at times with pogo games but ive even gotten those to work most of the time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I'll try and sort it out.
  • Options
    DeLukin wrote:
    You do need a separate app to use Google Earth:

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

As far as I know, Google Earth isn't a very good tool for view photos. I use Picasa along with my Google+ account (on a Mac) and everything works fine.

Downloading youTube videos is actually quite easy on a Mac, if you know what you're looking for. Safari has an Activity window which lets you view content as it is downloaded to your machine. If you watch a video you'll see a lot of crap going on in the Activity window, but eventually you'll see a file that is larger than the rest. That's the video file - of course it's going to be in a format that you'll need to convert so you will need an FLV to MOV converter or something similar.

As far as sound, you will need to go to your system preferences and then the Output tab. Make sure your external speakers are selected.

Macs aren't worse, just different. Give yours a chance and I guarantee after a few months you'll love it. If not, put it on eBay and you'll probably get a good price. Also, there are TONS of resources online for the problems you mentioned having, so I'd recommend hitting the Google for any answers you need moving forward.

I sorted the sound out a couple of weeks ago. I was just being dumb and hadn't turned it up using the F12 button (I am Fred Flintstone when it comes to technology). Also, I just downloaded a free video downloader add-on with Firefox so I'll see if that works. Maybe the one i was suing previously - keepvid.com is only compatible with a pc?
  • Options
    The only problem I still have with my mac is the right click function with the mouse. I.e, if I want to delete a url from my bookmarks I can't do it, as I can't right click on a drop-down menu. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    right click on pc = 2-finger click on mac
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    FrankieG wrote:

Eh??
  • Options
    guitar59guitar59 Posts: 1,221
    Byrnzie wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:

Eh??
    On the mouse pad you use 2 fingers to click...that works on the laptop versions...not sure what you do if you have an actual mouse.
  • Options
    guitar59 wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    FrankieG wrote:

Eh??
    On the mouse pad you use 2 fingers to click...that works on the laptop versions...not sure what you do if you have an actual mouse.

Yeah, i have a mouse, and can't right-click on any drop-down menu.
  • Options
    You don't need to right click just select the bookmark icon or the bookmark tab on the browser where you can move around or delete your bookmarks.
  • Options
    You don't need to right click just select the bookmark icon or the bookmark tab on the browser where you can move around or delete your bookmarks.

How can you delete the bookmarks when you can't right click on them, and pressing the delete button on your keyboard does nothing? If i right click on one using my mouse it opens the page I'm clicking on, instead of bringing up a drop down menu which would give me the option to delete it.

Edit: o.k, i just opened it in the browser and then clicked on 'show all bookmarks', and it brings up a new tab where i can scroll down and delete them.