Options

ESPN ranking top 25 sports video games of all time

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Tyson was easy once you memorized his punching patterns. Then you could even rack up stars on him and time it perfectly to crack his ass good.

yup..beat him numerous times
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    MayDay10 wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Baseball Stars

wow, a lot of blasts from the past in this thread.
    Was Baseball Stars the one where you could charge the mound?!? :P

No. That was Bases Loaded

Baseball Stars was the one where you could create a team, name players, get money, power up players and boost attendance, buy free agents, make trades, and play in a league with teams such as Ghastly Monsters, American Dreams, World Powers, Lovely Ladies, SNK Crushers, Japan Robins, and the Ninja Blacksox

Great game, I loved that you could climb the wall to rob a home run.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    pureoc wrote:

No classics. Bummer.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    They should release games every 2-3 years and concentrate on development and innovation.

Sell full roster updates/downloads every year (or even more frequently). Sell a bit more add on content like classic ballparks/stadiums, classic teams (hell, classic seasons), etc...

I think it would do the whole industry good...
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    They should release games every 2-3 years and concentrate on development and innovation.

Sell full roster updates/downloads every year (or even more frequently). Sell a bit more add on content like classic ballparks/stadiums, classic teams (hell, classic seasons), etc...

I think it would do the whole industry good...

That is a great idea! I loved the baseball games where you could play in the classic stadiums.
  • Options
    it just seems like games are coming out way too frequently now. I stopped buying sports games for the most part and continuing franchise modes past a season or 2. The changes are always minor and unnoticeable for the most part. Also, minor errors carry over for years (such as the Buffalo Sabres goal horn on NHL games).

The industry I guess puts people on the grindstone for people to pump these out and meet deadlines. It would be nice if they could take a step back and concentrate more on the content. Then raise the $ by the downloadable add on content which could be fantastic. I know I would likely drop more $ by this model.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    rival. wrote:
    Four pages in and no mention of the FIFA series? :fp:

I blame myself, I mentioned some classics earlier but neglected some new era games. FIFA is hands down the best sports game on the market today. Destroys Madden, destroys NHL, destroys The Show.
    What's a fifa?
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Jason P wrote:
    rival. wrote:

I blame myself, I mentioned some classics earlier but neglected some new era games. FIFA is hands down the best sports game on the market today. Destroys Madden, destroys NHL, destroys The Show.
    What's a fifa?

soccer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Has Pong been mentioned? I would kick y'alls asses in Pong. I could turn that dial like a boss!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Has Pong been mentioned? I would kick y'alls asses in Pong. I could turn that dial like a boss!
    Pong is so much in the past. Time to jump into the future for a real challenge.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWVeCrCQLGYPUwexrJNAHLdlZwINPquDPCYV5XPAe4803Fntz9AQ
  • Options
    I had completely forgotten about "Jordan vs Bird: One On One". They didn't put it on the list, but they discussed it in the "Bulls vs Blazers and NBA Playoffs" part. If they ever had a list of worst sports games, Jordan vs Bird would belong near the top. I see it is #7 on some magazine list for worst Sega Genesis games of all time, but I had the even worse NES version.
    Dr. J vs. Larry Bird kicked butt on the Atari.

Screw you Mr. Janitor. Clean up that glass!
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Jason P wrote:
    rival. wrote:

What's a fifa?

i'll let you in on the secret once you finish a zelda game ;)
  • Options
    rival. wrote:
    What's a zelda?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZAhxGi6dvxivQfLE8PJFOpnXGthb2UnP7T_JiJHNkiA4qdsn95Q
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Jason P wrote:
    rival. wrote:
    What's a zelda?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZAhxGi6dvxivQfLE8PJFOpnXGthb2UnP7T_JiJHNkiA4qdsn95Q

i think he was the italian plumber character for sega.
  • Options
    Tecmo Baseball for the SNES was pretty dang good. Also enjoyed Tecmo Basketball.

Stat tracking may have swayed my opinion
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    So did anybody else know about the speedy puck and no goalies for NES Ice Hockey? This is the first I'm hearing of these, and I've asked numerous people, nobody else heard of them either.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    So did anybody else know about the speedy puck and no goalies for NES Ice Hockey? This is the first I'm hearing of these, and I've asked numerous people, nobody else heard of them either.
    I've done the no goalies before, never heard of the speed puck.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329

Yes, I think the puck had way more bounce as well. The no goalies games took forever to play.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    the puck would go fast and pretty much bounce endlessly off the boards until it hit a player or went into the net.
  • Options
    http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/ ... -games-all

Nice to see RBI baseball getting some love in the newest 5 ranked.
  • Options
    pureoc wrote:
    http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/story/_/id/9233142/jon-robinson-ranks-best-sports-video-games-all

Nice to see RBI baseball getting some love in the newest 5 ranked.

Yeah, it's a classic. Good to see Blitz on there too, not one of my favorite sports games ever but we used to have a lot of fun with it in high school. The arcade version kicked serious ass but the console versions were pretty good too.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Wow, the memories of my youth are rushing through me. Lol. Did anyone ever play Base Wars? I loved that one. I haven't seen Double Dribble mentioned or NBA Jams. Would RC Pro Am be considered sports?

Anyway, my top 5:

1-Tecmo Super Bowl (by a loooooonnnngggg shot)
    2- RBI Baseball
    3-Madden (I don't know what year) the Sega version.
    4-NBA Jams
    5-Tiger woods, any year
  • Options
    Forgot about pole position and kung fu. Damn, I have to get a Nintendo now. I'd play that over Xbox any day.
  • Options
    Wow, the memories of my youth are rushing through me. Lol. Did anyone ever play Base Wars? I loved that one. I haven't seen Double Dribble mentioned or NBA Jams. Would RC Pro Am be considered sports?

Anyway, my top 5:

2- RBI Baseball
    4-NBA Jams
    5-Tiger woods, any year

I'm sure NBA Jam will be on there. Probably top 5, it was a huge hit and still a part of popular culture to some extent. If they put Blitz on there, which was just taking the NBA Jam idea and changing it to football, then I'm sure Jam will be on there. Double Dribble will probably be on there too. Remember how impressive those dunk animations were back then? :lol:
  • Options
    I think "classic" and "top/best" are too blurred.
  • Options

Anyway, my top 5:

2- RBI Baseball
    4-NBA Jams
    5-Tiger woods, any year

I'm sure NBA Jam will be on there. Probably top 5, it was a huge hit and still a part of popular culture to some extent. If they put Blitz on there, which was just taking the NBA Jam idea and changing it to football, then I'm sure Jam will be on there. Double Dribble will probably be on there too. Remember how impressive those dunk animations were back then? :lol:

boom shakalaka.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Baseball Stars-still the best baseball game ever and just completely kicks the crap out of RBI

Double Dribble-why was the damn white team so good at draining 3 and what was up with the mascots

NBA Jam-nothing beats the original, but the later games with all the powerups were pretty fun too

Ice Hockey- would skip the hockey most of the time, make all the guys skinny, play keepaway and have endless fights

Excitebike-awesome, but the overheat always killed me, create-a-course was badass

Tony Hawk- I was never any good at it, but had a good time playing it, once snuck into my friends house, stole his light bulb and a video tape from his vcr and proceeded to record and hour or 2 of Tony Hawk skating around and humping various things

Tyson's Punchout-amazing game, never could beat Tyson but had fun kicking the crap out of everybody else.
  • Options
    I loved tysons punch out. I played that damn game non stop for 3 months until I beat Tyson. I felt like I had jus won the world series, the super bowl, and the Stanley cup!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Baseball Stars-still the best baseball game ever and just completely kicks the crap out of RBI

Ice Hockey- would skip the hockey most of the time, make all the guys skinny, play keepaway and have endless fights

x1000 on baseball stars. Had that argument too many times

Ice Hockey is actually a very good game. my roommate and I in college would play "championship" matches. Scores would be like 3-2, 2-1 and go into OTs, shootouts. Tons of scoring chances and good goaltending. We played for an empty cheese ball container called the "Cheese Ball Cup". There would actually be crowds of people in our room watching the games.