Options

pearl jam tribute bands

edited March 2013 in The Porch
theres one playing in my home town in a couple weeks dunno if i should go or not.
who else here has seen a pearl jam tribute band and what did you think. was it fun or did you spend the whole time critiquing or did you think it was boring because it wasnt "the real thing"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Great question, I am very interested to hear input. There is a tribute band called No Code that seems to play frequently on the east coast and I have considered going a few times but never pulled the trigger.
  • Options
    theres one playing in my home town in a couple weeks dunno if i should go or not.
    who else here has seen a pearl jam tribute band and what did you think. was it fun or did you spend the whole time critiquing or did you think it was boring because it wasnt "the real thing"

I saw one called "Itchy Fish" and they were good. Good musicians and good songs, so if you can't enjoy that they you need to do some introspection.
    9\28\04 - Boston 5\25\06 - Boston 6\28\08 - Mansfield 8\27\09 - Chicago 5\15\10 - Hartford EV - In Providence on the night the Bruins won the Cup! 7\19\13 - Chicago 10\25\13 - Hartford 4\28\16 - Philly 4\29\16 - Philly 8\5\16 - Fenway 8\7\16 - Fenway
  • Options
    curlycurly Posts: 703
    We have one that started in Omaha bout 2+ years ago...
    To me it was a no Brainer...Soon as i found out bout it...i was there...
    What better time can you have on a friday night,. than getting to hear PJ music w/ 100+ other pj fans...

well obviously, beside seeing Pearljam w/ 20,000 other fans...

Sadly,...i'm not on the coast and havent had the opportunity to see Pearl jam 50x like so many of you on here...They've been to Omaha once since 1992...So ya, everytime they're in Kansas City or the twin city's up north in Minnesota...were' there...but them shows are pretty far an few between themselves...
    not to mention not getting wrigly tix...twice, ouch...but i'm not complaining...I'm waiting stub hub out...

Seeing the tribute bands more than fills the void for many of us...have an open mind...and have drink mate!
    ;);)
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    edited March 2013
    The first one I ever seen was Itchy Fish. I also seen Ten, No Code, Last Exit & Riot Act. But the best PJ tribute band that I have seen is Backseat Lover. It is ton of fun going to see them.
    Post edited by PearlJamPatriot on
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    RatsTJRatsRatsTJRats Boston Posts: 431

I always feel like "Why see a tribute band when the original still tours?!?"

I know they dont tour as much, but kinda seems pointless to me, but if its in your hometown and free or reasonable cover for a bar then yea I would consider checking it out.

If you do let us know how it was!
    This could be the day
  • Options
    Ok,...so i've seen the one here in Omaha more than a few times...
    A lot of times they play benifit shows for cetain causes...Wishlist foundation being one of them...
    Here in Omaha,..the cover is usually $10 bucks or less and you can get a morgan and coke for $5 bucks w/ at least 3 ounces of morgan in it...few bartenders measure here unless your at a yuppie sports bar chain...
    Just for shits, i did write down one of their sets one night, and here's what they played...
    Also helps when the singer sounds "close enough" on most of the tunes.... :)

I gotshit
    Why go
    Porch
    Dissident
    Light years
    Black
    Corduroy
    Hail hail
    Animal
    State love an trust
    Daughter
    Amongts the waves
    Last kiss
    Rats
    Soldier of love
    Release me
    Jeremy
    Even flow
    Nothingman
    Tremor christ
    Alive
    Given to fly
    Garden
    Yellow ledbetter
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Before its merge with Sony, BMG released Benaroya Hall CD back in 2004 here in Argentina. They threw out a kind of party in a nice bar in the town of Palermo, Buenos Aires. We heard some PJ tunes and watch Live at the Garden on the big screen. Then they ran a raffle in which I won a promo copy of the double CD and a poster. To close the event, a Pearl jam (and STP) tribute band called Shame performed. That band was a real shame indeed.
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    For the record, i wanted to take back my slam against yuppie sports bars...
    I used to manage one back in the early 90's and there really isn't anything wrong with people wanted to get together and have a good time, watching the game and eating fancy bar food...
    not sure what i was thinking when i made this post...but i woke up one night and wasn't happy with remembering what i said about them...
    so just to clear the record...
    peace to all whom enjoy's a good time...no matter where your at...
    curly,... :)
    curly wrote:
    Ok,...so i've seen the one here in Omaha more than a few times...
    A lot of times they play benifit shows for cetain causes...Wishlist foundation being one of them...
    Here in Omaha,..the cover is usually $10 bucks or less and you can get a morgan and coke for $5 bucks w/ at least 3 ounces of morgan in it...few bartenders measure here unless your at a yuppie sports bar chain...
    Just for shits, i did write down one of their sets one night, and here's what they played...
    Also helps when the singer sounds "close enough" on most of the tunes.... :)

I gotshit
    Why go
    Porch
    Dissident
    Light years
    Black
    Corduroy
    Hail hail
    Animal
    State love an trust
    Daughter
    Amongts the waves
    Last kiss
    Rats
    Soldier of love
    Release me
    Jeremy
    Even flow
    Nothingman
    Tremor christ
    Alive
    Given to fly
    Garden
    Yellow ledbetter
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    The shitty Beatles? Are they any good?
  • Options
    CJPJCJPJ Bethlehem, PA Posts: 31
    I saw No Code in Philly a few years ago. They were actually very good and me and my buddy had a good time at that show. I also liked them because they weren't trying to look like and dress like the real thing. I would have called them a PJ cover band more than a tribute band. Just some fans playing some good tunes. I think there's a difference between "tribute bands" and "cover bands". Tribute bands can get a little creepy actually. I saw one once back in 2003. Singer had short brown hair like Ed did at the time and the rhythm guitarist had a cowboy hat on like stone wore. They sounded good but it was kind of weird with the outfits and stuff, like they were trying too hard. I'd go see anyone playing PJ though. Has to be better than most of the garbage you see in bars sometimes. Besides who knows when you'll get to see the real thing again. I'm approaching 3 years. Longest PJ drought in the last 20.
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    LloydXmas wrote:

They suck.
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    Bladamus MaximusBladamus Maximus Paris TN Posts: 277
    LloydXmas wrote:

They suck.
    Then it's not just a clever name...
    05-06-95 (EV with Mike Watt, Foo Fighters) Chicago
    07-09-95 Milwaukee
    10-07-96 Ft. Lauderdale
    06-29-98 Chicago
    09-22-98 West Palm Beach
    07-19-13 Wrigley Field
    10-14-14 Memphis
    04-26-16 Lexington
    08-20-16 (Wrigley I)
    08-22-16 (Wrigley II)
    08-18-18 (Wrigley I)
    08-20-18 (Wrigley II)
  • Options
    rearviewrossrearviewross Posts: 3,055
    LloydXmas wrote:

They suck.
    Then it's not just a clever name...

:lol::lol: Party on!
    Forced to endure, what I cannot forgive.
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    In Texas, we have Pearl Gem. They're pretty good and put on fun shows. They have a good following. I'm not sure if I could get into it, but surely after a few drinks I could sing along. :roll:
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV