Options

Mark Lanegan & Duke Garwood ‘Black Pudding’

goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
edited April 2019 in Other Music
"Pentecostal", the first song from Mark and Duke's collaboration, is out!

http://youtu.be/7U1y-af2Q9E

Mark Lanegan has teamed up with multi-instrumentalist Duke Garwood to release the album 'Black Pudding' via Heavenly Recordings on 13th May, of which 'Pentecostal' is one of the many striking tracks.

Lanegan, never one to shy away from unique collaborations, has previously worked with Isobel Campbell, Greg Dulli and as a member of The Screaming Trees, Queens of the Stone Age and Soulsavers.

"Duke Garwood is one of my all time favorite artists," said Lanegan. "Working with him has been one of the best experiences of my recording life." Lanegan and Garwood met a few years ago while playing on the same bill and Garwood was a frequent opener on Lanegan's recent European tour.

Garwood has often been described in the press as Lanegan's "spiritual cousin across the Atlantic waters." He has been widely praised as a master bluesman, with The Quietus saying "The combination of Garwood's murmured vocals and the sound he gets out of his guitar - which ranges from a rolling, loose finger-picking to shuddering howls of feedback - has a hypnotic effect" and The Mirror dubbing him as "London's leading exponent of the wheezy broke-down blues."

Black Pudding was recorded at Pink Duck Studios in Burbank, California by Justin Smith and mixed by his Queens of the Stone Age associate Alain Johannes.
“Do not postpone happiness”
(Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
(Tim Rogers)
Post edited by goldrush on

Comments

• Options
    That was damn good :D
  • Options
    iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 811
    That was haunting...beauty!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    edited April 2019
    I have just discovered Duke Garwood today, thanks to Spotify. He's fantastic! Really enjoying his 2017 album Garden of Ashes. I see there is a new 2018 album with him and Mark Lanegan too, called With Animals. I'll listen to that next! I'm not really sure how all this escaped my attention until now. I'm usually on top of what Mark Lanegan is doing. Now I have listened to Black Pudding in the past... I just wasn't aware of Garwood somehow... I'm not sure I even realized that album was a collaboration at all TBH, although it was a long time ago when I was playing it. I guess I just forgot.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,626
    Feast To Famine is excellent too. I really love all of Marks stuff.

https://youtu.be/uLDoB3MR6-w
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023