Options

PUTIN playing with the lives of orphans

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited February 2013 in A Moving Train
fuckin' politics. *shakes head*

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8589792

They were months away from a new life with a loving family. Now, thousands of Russian orphans look likely to spend the rest of their childhood in grim orphanages.

On December 28, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a new law, closing the inter-country adoption program between the US and Russia.

Putin blamed the ban on the deaths of 19 orphans adopted from Russia by Americans, but commentators say his decision was fuelled by a less noble motive: revenge.
The Russian leader was reportedly unhappy with US President Barack Obama's signing of a bill that bans Russian human rights abusers from entering America, and signed the adopted ban as retaliation.

The legislation is shattering for families in the final stages of adopting Russian babies or infants, but even more devastating for the orphans themselves, who now face an entire childhood spent in some of the world's worst children's institutions.

"From the perspective of the orphans, the disaster is even more profound and tragic," international adoption expert Jane Aronson wrote on The Daily Beast.

"They remain in orphanages in Eastern Europe, which are the worst in the world. These institutions are not habitable; children are malnourished and in some cases starving and emaciated.

"They lie in their own faeces and urine and in clothes that are old, torn, and not fitted to their bodies. Orphans lie still and untouched in their cribs, all day and all night.

"International adoption provides permanency that can heal the orphan. When that opportunity is gone, these Russian kids will be permanently ruined. They will be abandoned to languish and rot in 'gulags' in Russia."

There are an estimated 1 million children in Russian orphanages. Many will spend their entire childhood institutionalised, and often emerge at 16 completely unable to function in the outside world.

The majority turn to drugs and prostitution and nearly 10 percent kill themselves before their 17th birthdays.

American families have saved 60,000 children from this fate in the past two decades.

Australian adoption advocate Deborra-Lee Furness is appalled by the closure of Russia's adoption program with the US.

Furness, who raises two adopted children with her husband Hugh Jackman, is a staunch supporter of inter-country adoptions and hopes this incident will encourage world leaders to make it easier for orphans to start new lives overseas.

"We need to keep this issue alive," Furness wrote on her Facebook page. "We cannot stop talking about these kids all around the world that are at risk of never realising their potential, never realising the possibility of having a loving family.

"We need to continue to address governments to make vulnerable children a priority on their agendas. Adoption is only a small part of the panacea that is needed to address the increasing figures of abandoned children.

"Our leaders need to firstly understand that this is a crisis and is in need of great thinkers to address solutions for this human rights issue."
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I know 8 gay couples who've adopted children and most of them have either adopted children from third-world countries like India, China or Guatemala. (the one couple who adopted an American child adopted a 3 year-old boy who was the abandoned son of a crack addict mother and and unknown father.)

I also know a couple who were unable to have children of their own who adopted from India.

It's very sad to see children being used as pawns like this. Most of those babies have spent very important formative months without adults to help them develop vital early communication skills and because of that have had trouble keeping up with their peers in school.
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    578262_306587679444235_776489677_n.jpg
  • Options
    What is that lyric: "treating people just like pawns in chess".

On another note this stood out: "They lie in their own faeces and urine and in clothes that are old, torn, and not fitted to their bodies. Orphans lie still and untouched in their cribs, all day and all night.

Reminds me of some of the old age homes I've visited here in the city.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Is there a shortage of US babies available?
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    unsung wrote:
    Is there a shortage of US babies available?

Hell yeah, you can find people flipping them in Lost Dogs for 10X the original price.
    hippiemom = goodness