Options

Homicides in schools not necessarily on the rise.

Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
edited December 2012 in A Moving Train
It's always is sad to me when I see people lose hope following horrible tragedies like the one in Newtown and they begin to think things are only getting worse and begin to withdrawal in fear. This post isn't to minimize people's emotions or stir the pot, but just to maybe maintain a perspective that even with horrible things happening, it doesn't always suggest and upward trend.

This research shows more of an up and down homicide rate at schools over an 18 year period:
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2011/tables/table_01_1.asp

Also, the violent crime rate has continued to drop overall for quite a while now.

I always try to think about the fact that there's way more good in the world than bad, and the more you look for the good, you can see the light over the darkness.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Yes i also just heard that %80 of our counties have zero murders over the course of a year.

Yet people will do whatever they can to blame the gun, society, NRA, etc.

Guess what most of the country is peaceful! Most blue counties have most murders!
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Yes i also just heard that %80 of our counties have zero murders over the course of a year.

Guess what most of the country is peaceful! Most blue counties have most murders!

A nice positive post by Beavers and then this. Thanks anyways Beavers.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Go Beavers wrote:
    I always try to think about the fact that there's way more good in the world than bad, and the more you look for the good, you can see the light over the darkness.
    Excellent point - I just wish it weren't so difficult to see that at times. The effort needed to not let horrific people and their actions take away from or blot out the other side...draining, but worth it.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    the fact that there is a single homicide ever in a school is troubling. let alone multiple murders a year in schools.

i expect better of us as americans. saying homicides in schools are not necessarily on the rise sounds like progress is being made or something. i will not be happy until there are no shooting deaths in schools.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Go Beavers wrote:
    It's always is sad to me when I see people lose hope following horrible tragedies like the one in Newtown and they begin to think things are only getting worse and begin to withdrawal in fear. This post isn't to minimize people's emotions or stir the pot, but just to maybe maintain a perspective that even with horrible things happening, it doesn't always suggest and upward trend.

This research shows more of an up and down homicide rate at schools over an 18 year period:
    http://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2011/tables/table_01_1.asp

Also, the violent crime rate has continued to drop overall for quite a while now.

My view... that is what makes this thing so horrific. Schools are supposed to be safe. Not because there are metal detectors... or iron bars... or barbed wire... or marksmens in towers. Parents should feel good about dropping their kids off at school, so they can go to work without worrying about them getting killed.
    Yes... it doesn't happen all the time... but, it's like cancer, I suppose. When you get cancer, your whole life changes and it doesn't matter how many well days you've had before that.
    ... well... maybe not... i'm just rambling.
    Good original point, though.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    dignin wrote:

The Truth usually hurts! Also, the true reason I pointed it out that way is only because the areas where guns are banned or tough restrictions, are areas where crime is the highest!
    Theres no time like the present

A man that stands for nothing....will fall for anything!

All people need to do more on every level!
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    dignin wrote:

The Truth usually hurts! Also, the true reason I pointed it out that way is only because the areas where guns are banned or tough restrictions, are areas where crime is the highest!
    Did you ever consider that maybe the reason why areas have strict gun bans is because those are the areas with the highest crime rates?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!