Options

Democratic leadership in Congress - Time for a change?

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
edited November 2012 in A Moving Train
Given that only modest gains were made for the Democrats in both the House and the Senate, unlike in 2006 and 2008 when large gains were made, is it time for Democrats to mix things up and put forward new leaders that carry less baggage?

I think so.

I don't believe that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid can bring Congress back under complete control of the Democrats, with a majority in the House and at least 60 Senators.

Pelosi has been the Democratic leader in the House since 2003.
Reid has been the Democratic leader in the Senate since 2005.

Isn't it time for new and better leadership? The next questions is: Who should the new leaders be?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    Given that only modest gains were made for the Democrats in both the House and the Senate,

Modest gains?

We could have lost 26 seats... the Kock brothers and their billionaire friends gave about half a billion dollars to wipe us out.

We gained four seats.

We win.

No. we do not need a change of anything.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    I don't believe that Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid can bring Congress back under complete control of the Democrats, with a majority in the House and at least 60 Senators.

And you're right. They can't.

And neither can anyone else.

That magic 60 number... not reachable.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    Given that only modest gains were made for the Democrats in both the House and the Senate,

Modest gains?

We could have lost 26 seats... the Kock brothers and their billionaire friends gave about half a billion dollars to wipe us out.

We gained four seats.

We win.

No. we do not need a change of anything.

The Koch Brothers are nothing. Their money was worthless. Their Super PAC ads weren't capable of fooling enough people. It doesn't matter how much money they spend. It's all wasted.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:

And you're right. They can't.

And neither can anyone else.

It was reached just 4 years ago. It's certainly reachable again. They just need better leadership. No bullshit leadership.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,801
    For both houses I think we need to have each states districts make some sort of nonparitsan sense. THEN we impose term limits on each chamber.

Then and only then will we even begin to get to a point of leadership for both parties. Shit, come to think of it, abolish both parties and allow anyone in that gets the required number of sigs on election petitions.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:

It was reached just 4 years ago. It's certainly reachable again. They just need better leadership. No bullshit leadership.

Well.. but no it wasn't. We technically got 60 if you counted Joe Lieberman who would caucus with the Democrats but never vote with them. So it was only 60 on paper and THAT was after the year it took to fight Al Franken's win in the courts.

BUT... in 2010, those districts were all gerrymandered into Republican strongholds. Here's a fact few have reported.. if we had the exact votes we did this election with the districts we had in 2008... Democrats would have regained the house. But thanks to the corrupt GOP redistricting committees, any democratic stronghold was divided in half and redistributed into larger, Republican areas.

So that magic 60 number... totally out of reach until we can redraw the districts.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    Given that only modest gains were made for the Democrats in both the House and the Senate, unlike in 2006 and 2008 when large gains were made, is it time for Democrats to mix things up and put forward new leaders that carry less baggage?

I think so.

Pelosi has been the Democratic leader in the House since 2003.
    Reid has been the Democratic leader in the Senate since 2005.

Isn't it time for new and better leadership? The next questions is: Who should the new leaders be?

Harry Reid has been somewhat successful, but it might be time for new blood.

As far as the House goes, that whole thing is a mess. The senate has more mainstream members on both sides of the aisle. But with the help of gerrymandered districts, and just the small size of them, there are some fringe wingnuts there. Leading either party in that house has to be like herding cats. But that said, I can't stand Pelosi, so I'd like her to go.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:

Well.. but no it wasn't. We technically got 60 if you counted Joe Lieberman who would caucus with the Democrats but never vote with them. So it was only 60 on paper and THAT was after the year it took to fight Al Franken's win in the courts.

BUT... in 2010, those districts were all gerrymandered into Republican strongholds. Here's a fact few have reported.. if we had the exact votes we did this election with the districts we had in 2008... Democrats would have regained the house. But thanks to the corrupt GOP redistricting committees, any democratic stronghold was divided in half and redistributed into larger, Republican areas.

So that magic 60 number... totally out of reach until we can redraw the districts.

Trust me, I know that there were only a few months when Democrats had a super-majority in the Senate... but the 2008 election did at least produce the result of 60 Senators in the Democratic caucus. It can be done again. And I also know about Republican redistricting and how it effects the seating in the House... this is a problem. I just think it's time for younger, more vibrant, and hopefully a bit more progressive leadership.