Options

trampolines too dangerous

catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
edited September 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/lifesty ... xperts-say

US health experts are calling for a ban on backyard trampolines because they are too dangerous and cause an excessive number of injuries.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says that netting and other safety equipment does not reduce injury.

In 2009 there were almost 98,000 trampoline-related injuries in the US which resulted in 3,100 hospitalisations.

“Paediatricians need to actively discourage recreational trampoline use,” says Dr Michele LaBotz, co-author of an updated policy statement on the use of trampolines in the US.

“Families need to know that many injuries occur on the mat itself, and current data does not appear to demonstrate that netting or padding significantly decrease the risk of injury.”

Kate Fraser from Australia’s Kidsafe playground advisory unit told Woman’s Day that banning trampolines may be taking things a little too far.

“It would be a sad day for Australia if the backyard trampoline was banned, however, we recognise that some injuries do occur,” Kate said.

The US report found that children under the age of five were most at risk of serious hurt, with 48 per cent of injuries in this age group involving fractured or dislocated bones. Other common complaints included sprains, strains and contusions. According to the AAP, these injuries still occurred despite parental supervision.

It was also found that 75 per cent of trampoline injuries occur when more than one person is jumping on the mat at the same time.

“The recommendations from this organisation appear to focus on the risk of injury, rather than the benefits of using a trampoline,” Kate Fraser says.

“Trampolines do come with some risks, and knowledge of these risks requires parents and carers to be mindful of the set-up of the trampoline in their backyard. We all want our kids to grow up to be happy, healthy adults and equipment such as trampolines offers many more benefits than risks of injury.”

These benefits include coordination development, physical fitness, core strength development and body schema awareness.

“Children love to trampoline because it is so much fun – many adults also love to trampoline for the same reasons,” Kate says.

“However, the benefits are not just physical, as children learn to take turns, act as a ‘spotter’ for the ‘jumper’, or play ball games with the ‘jumper’ from ground level.”

Here are Kate’s tips for safe trampoline use:

Full-sized trampolines are not recommended for children under six, however there are a lot of different sized trampolines on the market that are suitable. It is important to consider the overall size of the mat, the bounce and the height of the trampoline.
When purchasing a trampoline, ensure that it complies with the Australian Standard. Look for the Standards ticks or product marking that demonstrates this compliance.
Avoid setting up on hard surfaces and ensure that the trampoline is stable.
No pets on the trampoline!
Maintain pads, nets and springs, and follow any specific manufacturer’s instructions.
Parents should actively supervise kids on the trampoline
If your child shows a keen interest in trampolining, consider enrolling them in a class. It is a terrific way to develop interests/hobbies and engage in ongoing regular physical activity
hear my name
take a good look
this could be the day
hold my hand
lie beside me
i just need to say
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    best ban bikes too.. kids are always falling off those and hurting themselves. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    I agree, since kids in this country aren't lazy enough...
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :roll: :roll:
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I split my lip on trampoline..... GOt back on it...

I hurt my ankle on a trampoline... got back on it..

I broke my elbow on a trampoline... got back on it...

Shit happens, the moral here is, get back on it...
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    Meg8686Meg8686 Posts: 1,234
    pjfan31 wrote:

So true, love this :clap: :thumbup:
    Sometimes I speak of nothing at all.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:

you seem awfullly clumsy.. try not to fall off your seat at the grand final sunday. :P :lol::lol::lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,258
    Pussification of our kids.

Don't get me wrong, I had a nasty spill on a trampoline once. Bouncing with a friend, he hit a half second before me so it had that super-bounce effect. Went flying off it and landed on my shoulder and chest. Knocked the wind out of me for a couple minutes and thought I separated my shoulder. Didn't.

I did lots of stupid shit as a kid...but that's what you learn from!!!!
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Have you ever read the instruction manual to a trampoline? The number one rule is ONE PERSON AT A TIME!

What is the one thing everyone neglects? The ONE PERSON AT A TIME rule.
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    pjfan31 wrote:

Exactly!!! ;)
    Prepares you for life. ;):lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    As a kid I got fucked up more times than I can count on a trampoline, and saw some pretty nasty things happen to plenty of others. However, as somebody else pointed out, we weren't following the rules. I'll never forget the old "break the egg" game, which was basically one person lays in the middle rolled up in a ball, and the rest would jump around trying to force the person to open up. Usually this meant launching them to the point they opened themselves up for protection. My brother and I double bounced the neighbor kid and I shit you not he flew off the trampoline, still in a ball, right into the trunk of a tree that was about 10 feet away from the edge. He looked like that speeder bike guy in Return Of The Jedi who bounces off the tree trunk and fell.

I don't know if there's any need to ban them, but kids are never going to use them properly. So that leaves adult supervision. A trampoline isn't something you can lock away from the kids to not play with when you're away though, so it's kind of hard to make sure the kids are always supervised. I don't know, I personally wouldn't buy my imaginary child one, because I don't enjoy sitting around emergency rooms. That doesn't mean nobody else can have that kind of fun though. Trampolines are fun, but they're no joke.

The worst is when you land in the springs.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I agree. Ban them. Anyone who has seen my rants on the AMT add this to the list of cars and....ah shit...it's late I don't remember the other shit I called for a ban of. :lol: :fp:
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Graphic photos of trampoline accidents ....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjPqxgyb1VTvnFmhmL-zbZaoy2Jpr3F1kH8_C6RPIQAi5Xxg5Q

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc6C08a1Kuq7oyqKoTBOuGsa_GRx78JTNYsiK_pW3IxTfDAz2Y
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    I agree, since kids in this country aren't lazy enough...
    :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    pjfan31 wrote:

:thumbup:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    I miss The Man Show
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    How much cooler would work be if there were trampolines? I guess some jobs like a surgeon they wouldn't be cool but for the most part it's a win/win situation. :lol:
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Whatever happened to that basketball league that had trampolines all over the court so you could dunk from the 3 point line?
  • Options
    mikalinamikalina Posts: 7,206
    Trampolines are a great workout.... :D

The problem is when too many kids are on the trampoline and injuries happen. I would never recommend more than 3 kids at a time on it.

Insurance companies also suggest raising your liability coverage ( lawsuits ) :roll:
    ********************************************************************************************* image
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    Jason P wrote:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc6C08a1Kuq7oyqKoTBOuGsa_GRx78JTNYsiK_pW3IxTfDAz2Y

and video as well ;)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=196495#p4662908
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ha! That Simpsons ep was the first thing I thought of when I saw this on the news.

Ban anything with the potential to be dangerous! Ban anything that someone could use irresponsibly!

Must people be protected from themselves now? Common sense be damned!

Can we not just let Darwinism do its beautiful thing already?

argh.
  • Options
    best ban bikes too.. kids are always falling off those and hurting themselves. :roll:
    I got hurt once or twice in my whoooole child hood on a bike. Throw a few kids on a trampoline for a few minutes and usually we stopped after the first twisted ankle or head injury.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    They were so fun - I loved jumping as high as I could, landing sitting down, I got where I could do flips on them, but I do remember kids getting hurt, falling off, falling on the springs etc. I probably wouldn't want my kids on them; I'm glad they are old enough that they have no interest at this point. But boy they were fun. We kind of did a lot of risky stuff I guess.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    TRAMOPOLINE!!!!!
    Jason P wrote:

every leap brings us closer to God. :lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I only knew a few people who had them when I was a kid so I never played on one very much. They are unbelievably popular now, seems like I see one in every other back yard.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    This forum is dangerous.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014