Options

Rank YOUR Pearl Jam experiences

pjinlovepjinlove Posts: 17
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
After seeing them in Albany on Friday, I was talking to a friend who has seen them wayyyy more times than me and it was really fun hearing him give a little synopsis of each show.

So...rank the shows you've been too and if you have time, give a little blurb about each one.

Here are mine:

1. Albany 2006-Maybe its because I just saw the show, but it really was just an unbelievable experience. It rocked so hard and long I can't get over it.

2. Jones Beach 3 2000-Did you ever have one of those perfect days? That's what this was for me. The weather was perfect, the stage looked amazing on the water and they played Smile. No Code is my favorite album and they played so much off of it. It was a more mellow, but groovy feeling show.

3. Reading 2004-It was a huge PITA for us to get to the show, but we got there and met some awesome people in the parking lot. The setting was so intimate, the songs were great. Loved it.

4. Virginia Beach 2000-Probably the most emotional show ever for me. Hearing them open with Long Road and the Its Okay Tag put me over the edge. The crowd where we were only cared about hearing Jeremy so it put a damper on the show.

5. Albany 2003-It was a really quick but high energy show. I love listening to the boot. It wasn't too long after my daughter was born and it was only the second time we left her so it was a little hard!

6. Saratoga 2000-Maybe its because the show was after Jones Beach 3 or that the crowd didn't care that much-any Pearl Jam show is a great experience-but this one wasn't as good as the others. (I'd still take it any day of the week over NOT seeing them!)
Va Beach, 2000; Jones Beach Night 3 2000; Saratoga Springs 2000; Albany 2003; Reading (VFC) 2004; Albany 2006; Boston 2 2006 (one of the best nights of my life); East Rutherford 2 2006
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    pjinlove wrote:
    After seeing them in Albany on Friday, I was talking to a friend who has seen them wayyyy more times than me and it was really fun hearing him give a little synopsis of each show.

So...rank the shows you've been too and if you have time, give a little blurb about each one.

Here are mine:

1. Albany 2006-Maybe its because I just saw the show, but it really was just an unbelievable experience. It rocked so hard and long I can't get over it.

5. Albany 2003-It was a really quick but high energy show. I love listening to the boot. It wasn't too long after my daughter was born and it was only the second time we left her so it was a little hard!

6. Saratoga 2000-Maybe its because the show was after Jones Beach 3 or that the crowd didn't care that much-any Pearl Jam show is a great experience-but this one wasn't as good as the others. (I'd still take it any day of the week over NOT seeing them!)

Those are the 3 I went to from your list. You really pur Saratoga at the bottom? I thought it was a stellar show and possibly the most underrated of the 00 tour.

I say the same about Albany 03 that you did: quick but high energy. It gets a lot of crap on here because it was so short, but it was rocking while it was going on.

And yes, Albany (and Hartford) 06 was awesome.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    ASTORIA - FIRST SHOW EVER. ROCKED MY SOCKS!!!!!!! - just met so many awesome people, and especially the 3 people i ended queing and going to the show with!

only experience i have
  • Options
    tarotvixentarotvixen Posts: 62
    I have only seen them on the 2003 but I have to relate this experience. I had only just got a seat for the first Sydney show and it was at the very back of the Entertainment Centre - like nose bleed. Didn't care, happy to be in building. Then ten minutes before the show starts, the ushers came up and took a bunch of us down to this empty row of prime seats on the side view of the stage. I was close enough to flash my tits at Eddie and he totally checked this crazy, happy fan. And they played Untitled which is my all time favorite
    2003 Bris 8 &9, Syd 11 &13, Melb 18, 19 &20
    2006 Vegas, San Diego, LA 9 & 10, San Francisco 15 &16, The Gorge 22 & 23, Syd 7 &8, Melb 13, 14 &16 Melb 20 2009, Buffalo Oct 12; Brooklyn Oct 18 & 19; Hartford Oct 25 2013
  • Options
    TremorCTremorC Posts: 3
    1. Mansfield 3 - 7/11/03
    I went to this show on a last minute whim, and I am so glad I did. The whole atmosphere was special, from the acoustic preset.. "We're not going to play an acoustic version of Blood or anything..." to the to the only time they played Tremor Christ in the U.S. that tour to the length of the show. "we're never gonna be able to play this place again.." Just amazing.

2. Ottawa - 9/16/05
    Amother amazing night. The band was on fire. This show featured the debut of Don't Gimme No Lip, as well as In Hiding and an aweosme Harvest Moon. I dicthed grad school for a few days and my friend ditched work so we could go up to Canada an the whole experience was great.

3. MSG 1 - 07/08/03
    You've all seen the dvd... you know how amazing this night was. Seriously Crown of Thorns!

4. Philadelphia - 10/03/05
    The setlist for this show was awesome. Crown of Thorns, Around the Bend, Hard to Imagine, Sad. A very memorable version of Crazy Mary. A great way to wind up my 2005 tour.

5. Reading - 10/01/04
    As I look back on the setlist, I have no idea why I think so highly of this show. But then I remember: the energy. The crowd was insane. Rabid, even. I also was extremely close in a very small venue.

6. Atlantic City #1 - 9/30/05
    I was lucky enough to get one ticket to this show through Ticketmaster. I wasn't front row or anything, but i was only a few people back. The first six songs of this show were amazing. Teh setlist kind of went downhill ater that, but the energy of the crowd and the band more than made up for it.

7. Pittsburgh - 4/26/03
    I sometimes hear this show getting ragged for a not-so-special setlist, but this was my second show, and the first one where I could see anything and where I was surrounded by fan club members. Atmosphere makes a huge difference. It was also the show where I fell in love with Faithful. That song owns live.

8. Boston #2 - 9/29/04
    I liked the setlist for night two much more than night one. In addition, I wasn't surrounded by dumbass drunk frat boy fans who spilled beer and yelled "wooo" every five seconds. Always an improvement.

9. MSG #2 - 7/09/03
    Even though it wasn't as magical as the show that came before it or after it, it was still a pretty great show. The setlist was good and so was the energy. Just not as good as the shows aorund it.

10. Holmdel - 7/14/03
    I was fortunate enough to have realy good seats for this show. My 10c number isn't the best and so when the fan club made the offer to switch people from the overbought MSG #2 top this show I took it, KNowing it was going to be my best shot at close fan club seats ever. They werent front row or anything, but they were much closer than any fan club seats before or since. The show itself was pretty good., what with Stone quoting the Hudsucker Proxy and all.

11. Camden #2 - 7/06/03
    This show was on my birthday and I had relatively close seats thanks to some kind of odd Ticketmaster voodoo. Most notable for an awesome Of the Girl opener.

12. Toronto - 9/19/05
    Well there was the Release opener. And Bono. And uh.. well harvest Moon was good, but I saw that one a lot. Ooh and Indifference. And... uh did I mention Bono. Because there wasnt really a lot going on here. I wish I could have put the ottawa setlist and band energy with this crowd energy, but as it stands. the show felt rite and mechanical. Still good, but as little hollow.

13. Hershey - 7/12/03
    This show had the great misfortune to come right after Mansfield 3. I had been up all night travelling down there (Thanks Smitre!) and I was almost a zombie. My seats were close, but that didn't matter because the venue had no atmosphere at all. I was grateful when they played Evenflow, so that I could sit down for a few minutes. This show did have soem awesome Eddieisms (fuck this fucking chocolate factory, mosquito bites, etc.) that make this boot more fun on relisten than live.

14. Boston #1 - 9/30/04
    See what I said about Boston #1 above. And then imagine the exact opposite of that.

15. Dallas 7/05/98
    During my two year stay in Texas, I was fortunate enough to go to my first Pearl Jam show. I was a million miles away from the stage, but I didn't care. It was incredible. And then Dennis Rodman came out. Oh that's kind of cool, I thought. And then Dennis Rodman stayed. Dennis Rodman wouldn't go away. Go away Dennis Rodman. It took me out of the the moment and broke the spell for me. this was something that I had waited so long for. I coukld understand thinking it was cool iof you had seen other shows before this or were seeing other shows that tour, but for me this was it... and he really ruined it.
    7/05/98, 4/46/03, 7/06/03, 7/08/03, 7/09/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/01/04, 9/16/05, 9/19/05, 9/30/05, 10/03/05, 6/01/06, 6/03/06, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, and 5/21/10.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    I BrisK I wrote:
    ASTORIA - FIRST SHOW EVER. ROCKED MY SOCKS!!!!!!! - just met so many awesome people, and especially the 3 people i ended queing and going to the show with!

only experience i have

I think we will be unable to top it personally. Will always be at the top of my list, purely because it was my first show :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    andydick8andydick8 Posts: 205
    Halifax 05
    Montreal 03
    St John's 05
    Boston I 04
    Add your benaroya vinyl # to the list!!!
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=104018
  • Options
    This is hard...All three shows I've seen are legendary...

;)

1) Letterman - 06
    Great seats - 5th row Stone's side...six new ones right off the bat...and then four CLASSIC oldies...Present Tense, DTE, Why Go and Porch (great version).
    As close as I'm ever gonna get, in a great, great room.

2) Albany 06
    Amazing setlist. My only gripe (and not even...:D was Last Kiss...)
    Best Porch ever...Rats, Satan's Bed...Red Mosquito, Off He Goes...
    Amazing show...the guys were ON...all of them.

3) Philly 05
    My first one...best setlist of the three, but bad seats, sound wasn't that great.
    Really hard to put this one last, but...wow I had one great fuckin week in May of 06, let me tell you!
    Teamwork. Rawk. Pwnage. Infinite Possibilities. YIELD. Hells yeah.
  • Options
    newagehippienewagehippie Posts: 749
    Kitchener/London 05- That entire trip was one of a kind...

Toledo 04
    East Troy 03
    Lexington 03
    St. Louis 04
    Grand Rapids 04
    Indy 03
    Columbus 03
    Asheville 04
    Kissimmee 04
    Hershey 03
    Cheers,
    NEWAGEHIPPIE

Keep your eyes open, eventually something will happen....
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    1. Philly 05 - Lost dogs played
    2. Key Arena 02 - I danced a lot, lotsa fun
    3. Groundwork 2001 - Lotsa energy
    4. St. Johns #2 05 - lotsa energy
    5. Hartford 06 - Where are the Lost Doggies? Fun people on that stage, though :)
    6. Key Arena 96
    7. Key Arena 2000 - dead weight date to my left
    8. Chicago HOB 05 - I expected more in a smaller venue. They seemed tired, which would make sense.
    9. Key Arena July 98 - Very Hot Day I don't remember any songs
    10. St. John's #1 - Wasn't feeling good
    11. Moore Theatre 95 - Bad Accoustics
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    uninnocentuninnocent Posts: 1,565
    1. 10 may, 2006 - toronto ii, acc
    this show was the SHIT~! the band was full of energy and ed was full of wine. i finally got whipping. i finally got low light. i finally got fuckin' up. it was a night i'll never forget. simply fantastic. the previous night had been pretty damned spectacular, and i was unsure what to expect for night two. the band pulled out all stops and gave me the time of my life. i never expected any concert to top pj in ottawa, but this damn sure did.

2. 16 sept, 2005 - ottawa, corel centre
    we drove six hours from toronto in the pouring rain, dropped off two friends in downtown ottawa, drove to kanata, checked into the hotel and immediately called a cab to take us to the venue. totally missed out on the ccfc fundraiser. things weren't going according to our plans, but we didn't let it bother us, and when pj hit the stage and started with wash, i knew it was a special night. a few must-hears & don't gimme no lip later, i proclaimed this the best concert i'd ever seen. i had no clue it'd be beaten eight months later.

3. 05 oct, 2000 - toronto, acc
    first concert of my (adult) life. i'd been a pj fan since the release of yield, but this was my first show. i had only two songs on my want-list: baba o'riley & indifference. i got both of them as the closers. sometimes was the perfect opener for my concert-going career, and i was rockin' out during breakerfall. the tenclub hooked me up with great tickets (row 9) and i'm eternally thankful for that show.

4. 11 sept, 2005 - kitchener, memorial auditorium
    if this show was the worst show pj ever did, i'd still have put it this high on the list simply because of the intensity of the audience. luckily, it was far from being the worst show. i got a few must hears (long road, can't keep (UKE VERSION!!!) and the band was on fire! that night was pure magic.

5. 09 may, 2006 - toronto i, acc
    sad. inside job. garden. why go. honestly, i think this show is tied for fourth place with kitchener. it was AMAZING~! eddie was all about the hockey talk, i had a good buzz going and the band was well prepared for our sellout crowd. i can't say enough good things about this concert. it took my breath away, and never gave it back. awesome show.

6. 28 june, 2003 - toronto, molson amphitheatre
    this is the show where i finally got in my tree. there were many highlights, but the fact that my 10c membership had expired, and i was stuck in lawn seats kinda detracts from its awesomeness, although i got to smoke a shitload of weed. this version of release is a personal fave. ed's pre-set of you've got to hide your love away got the entire audience into their seats and singing along before the buzzcocks. bu$hleaguer was also a highlight, however i did notice that a few idiots left the show during it.

7. 19 sept, 2006 - toronto, acc
    after experiencing the awesomeness of ottawa & kitchener, i had my hopes up high. i was kinda let down. the guitars didn't sound right to me. i didn't 'get' or appreciate the u2 tributes throughout the night. and bono just butchered ritfw. i'd've been happy if he actually, y'know, sang the song. but whatever, i just wasn't feeling them that night. although we did get a great daughter, a great you've got to hide your love away and a good harvest moon. not even close to being a bad show, but it just wasn't the best i've seen. oh, and the porch pre-set was KILLER!!!
  • Options
    Toronto May 10/06 - I think enough has been said about this show in the past week of posts and it has been been well put. Simply an awesome show! Very good crowd, band energy, noise! We got Fuckin' Up, State of Love and Trust, a nice Release opener, a sweet RVM...great show.

Toronto Sept 21/96 - I'm putting this up here simply because it was my first show and I was blown away seeing them live. I had been a huge fan since 1993 and I waited so long to seem them. I had to stand in line for hours to get a wristband!! Then had to wear the wristband for a few days and then go back when the tickets went on sale!! There was a certain energy to those days before internet sales, etc. Highlights were: Another release opener (great for first show ever!), TREMOR CHRIST (first and last time i've ever heard it live), I got shit, leaving here, Blood, basically an awesome setlist.. and YL to close.

Kitchener Sept 11/05 - Awesome energy. Awesome encores! Pretty long show, small venue. Really drunk so its hard to drum up the memories but it was a blast!

Molson Park - Barrie August 22/98 - This was a huge event, I think there were 30,000+. It was cool to hang out all day listen to other bands and have PJ come on at the end, the anticipation was huge. I remember YL at the end being insane, its like 30.000 knew the words! I remember they opened with Corduroy which was cool, a nice loud rocker. And they did Leatherman too! It was a nice hot day too.

Toronto - May 9/06 - It was a great show too, but May 10th had way more energy and the other shows simply had something else to set them apart, this show was actually very enjoyable with great tunes!! Always love RITFW! Not for you was a treat as well!! Plus hearing all the new stuff live! I was really wishing for Comatose and Gone but whatever, we got Come Back and Inside Job which were well done.

Toronto Sept 19/05 - Another good show, not quite like Kitchener but a great crowd. Bono showed up, didn't really do a spectacular job but he added to the crowds energy. I guess it was cool he was there--Ben Harper would have been my pick! But who's complaining! I was also pretty drunk for this one too. Learned my lesson and didnt drink so much for the shows this year!

Toronto October 05/200 - This was also a good show from what I remember but I missed the first 7 songs b/c I couldn't get a car to get into the city. I was away at University in Waterloo (an hour away) and was trying to get a car, finally at like 8pm my roommate gave me her car and I high tailed it to Toronto but it was raining like a mofo and took a while.. my friend had tickets waiting for me at will call.. i felt bad I was so late, she had sweet 10c tickets and we were in like the second row.. So this should really be near the top of my list but I'm a jackass and I don't wanna think about it. :)

Needless to say I've never been to a bad PJ concert of even a lackluster one at that.. Some of the crowds have been so so but the band has always played amazing and put forth an awesome effort!
    'Me knowing the truth I cannot concur'

09/21/96, 08/22/98, 10/05/00, 09/11/05, 09/19/05, 05/09/06
    05/10/06, 08/21/09, 05/10/10, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/15/11
    07/16/13 (Pending!)