Options

Why Pearl Jam’s Yield is One of the Best Fucking Albums Ever

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
edited February 2012 in The Porch
A little something I wrote last night in honor of Yield's 14th birthday:

Why Pearl Jam’s Yield is One of the Best Fucking Albums Ever Made

http://kennyolav.com/articles/why-yield ... -made.html

Pearl Jam’s fifth studio album Yield was released on February 3, 1998. In a few more years, babies born on that date will be old enough to drive and hopefully know what a yield sign is for. I was 21 when the album was new. I had been a fan of Pearl Jam ever since MTV imposed them upon my generation early in 1992, and after the hype subsided, Yield was there to take music to a level no marketing department could ever fucking dream of.

Like any great album, Yield is an ideal road trip album. It’s even got a picture of a road on the cover, and not just any fucking road, but an open highway. And yet, there’s a yield sign on the side of this highway. Open the cover, and you’ll see the yield sign in the middle of an ocean. What the fuck, Pearl Jam? I suppose the message is that no matter how clear the road (or water way) is ahead, something can still fuck up your day. Always be prepared to yield.

The album begins with Brain of J, which blazes a trail of fiery discontent with scorching guitars and its mocking chorus: “the whole world will be different soon, the whole world will be relieved”. Faithfull, intentionally misspelled with two l’s, is full of everything that makes this album great (details to come). No Way is so fucking good, I don’t want to say anything more about it. Given to Fly is where the album... how do I make this not sound fucking cheesy? takes flight... no... gets its wings... no... it just fucking tickles your eardrum with a prickly little guitar lick and then grabs you by the throat with each huge chorus. You really feel like a human being that’s given to fly by the time it’s done, especially if you hear it live in concert, trust me. Next is Wishlist, which is just fucking beautiful, no matter what any fucker says. Pilate? It fucking jams. Do the Evolution? Holy fuck. It’s played slower on the album than how it’s played live, but Eddie sounds fucking possessed on the album version. It’s one of their absolute best songs. There’s nothing else like it. Perhaps the most heartfelt sarcasm ever recorded. I fucking mean that, okay? The next track, represented on the back cover as a red dot, is a weird little jam with simple, true lyrics: “We’re all crazy, we’re all crazy at war.” MFC (‘mini fast car’) is about getting the fuck out of Dodge and has one of my favorite lyrics ever: “There’s a lot to be said for nowhere”. Low Light is another one of Pearl Jam’s most beautiful moments. In Hiding is the album’s majestic high point, and by the way that is one fucking difficult song to sing. Push Me, Pull Me is lyrically at odds with the nature of reality and sonically at odds with all the trends of the 90’s or any decade before that - pretty fucking cool. Finally we have All Those Yesterdays reminding us to let each day wash away and that it’s no crime to escape. Except it’s not done yet because there’s the hidden track, which is a middle-eastern flavored tune about hummus. What the fuck, Pearl Jam? Oh, right... something can always appear out of the blue. Be ready to fucking yield.

Yield is Pearl Jam’s best work in the studio and producer Brendan O’Brien deserves all due credit. The guitars are layered together dynamically, and everything from raw crunch, fiery wail, funky twang and simple fucking beautifulness is delivered with sonic excellence. The bass sound is a warm undercurrent and Jack Irons’ drumming gels with the band even better than it did on his first album with them, No Code, creating hypnotic rhythms with just the right amount of spazziness. Above it all is Eddie’s voice, still full of youthful pride and still unashamed to unleash rage, but with newfound maturity and a healthy dose of humility. For the first time on a Pearl Jam album, Vedder sang lyrics that were not his own (four of the songs’ lyrics were penned by either Ament or Gossard) but you would never question that he believed in them.

It’s not as haunting as Vitalogy, not as emotional as Ten and not as contemplative as their later albums, but Yield is an equal blend of everything that has made Pearl Jam great over the years. I don’t know what else to say. The album fucking rocks. If you didn’t already know that, I recommend that you find out for yourself. Take a long fucking drive with it if you can.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    if you live in South Dakota, they're already old enough to drive.

Best opening line of any album.....ever..

Who's got the brain of JFK what's it mean to us now!?
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Nice work Kenny O! :thumbup:
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    Dear Mike, I lost the score of how many time you used the word FUCK, however, this review was fucking amazing, more than snything I have read before, I would love to know how to write in my own language as you did, I took a course of music review, but this was fucking awesome, you made me listen to the whole album without playing it... I really enjoyed reading this, the weird thing is that Yield is in the middle of my list, however I really love it, and by that time when they released it I began collecting PJ vinyl, cd singles and stuff, and I joined the 10C for the first time... and I remember that in those days it was thought they were about to break up... funny, isn't it? we have just celebrated 20 years... here's to another 20 years...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    Agree.,,this is a piece that feels inspired every time I listen to it....mike was a big part of the album and the zeppelin influences in the album fit perfectly with jack irons swing style of drumming.....
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    It may be their best album, but best fucking album I would say would be something by Barry White.
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    Dear Mike, I lost the score of how many time you used the word FUCK...

Including the thread title - 23.

Coincidence...? :shock:
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    I LOVE YIELD!!! My favorite Pearl Jam Album. :geek:
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Great review.....made me pop in Yield in the stereo right now. :D
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options

If there is any coincidence, I am not aware of it or I haven't realised about it yer, could you explain it to me, please? I ghess you may have a piece of info I don't... something PJ or Yield related...

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    Cool stuff love Yield :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Still haven't decided on a fav album after 20 years, but I know Yield is in the discussion!!!
  • Options
    Fuckin amazing review of Yield! Thanks :)
  • Options
    when i saw the title of this thread i thought this gonna be about albums to have sex to :lol:
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Ahh Yield. It was the first PJ album I ever bought on release day. As a teen in the 90s, my parents wouldn't let me own any "secular" or "non-christian" music while living in their house (I still did of course). I always got copies of my friend's cassettes.
    I joined the Air Force right after I graduated high school. When Yield came out I was still a new trainee stationed at Lackland AFB. I remember the huge Yield poster at the music store. If only I would've bought a copy on vinyl and just saved it...
    It's between this and No Code for my favorite album not named Ten. Brain of J is such a great opener. I sometimes wish Faithfull was more like the live versions, AND ECHOES! DTE, like the op said, is so sarcastic, so tongue-in cheek, so fucking awesome. Given to Fly is the closest to a gospel song they play, its so fucking powerful. I won't go into each song but All Those Yesterdays is one of my favorite songs, wish I could here it live.
    I even found a small Yield sign piece of jewelry at Montgomery Wards, I put it on a necklace and hung it on my Rearviewmirror. My ex-girlfriend stole it. Good times. Here's hoping they re-release No Code thru Avocado on vinyl. Thanks to the op for this fucking thread!
    Tread Lightly.
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    Best album ever. I never get tired of listening to it.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    [quote="kenny olav" In Hiding is the album’s majestic high point, and by the way that is one fucking difficult song to sing. [/quote]

:lol: No Doubt. I found out the hard way.....on a Karaoke stage. :oops:
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    mvw wrote:
    It may be their best album, but best fucking album I would say would be something by Barry White.

Haha, totally agree on that one.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I thought this was already settled. Yield will always be #1.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    No explanation needed......It just IS.

And I second whoever said In Hiding is a bitch to sing.
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    second only to No Code in my mind.....fantastic album.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    I love your enthusiasm for this great album.

Yield was my first Pearl Jam album, and the one that made me that fan whom I am today. Is it their best? Hells yes it is.
  • Options
    Backspacer is better. :twisted: :roll:
  • Options
    pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    As Ive said several times on threads before, it was the one that got me in and made me a Pearl Jam fan forever after.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I'm glad to see a lot of people enjoyed my review!

It's funny... I'm not sure what inspired me to write it (other than the album itself, which I was listening to at the time I wrote it) but I sometimes I can't stop myself from writing... it's fun. The first draft was quick, but then I re-wrote it over and over again... it took 3 or 4 hours maybe... I'm not sure... I lost track of time... I was pretty fucking high at the time :mrgreen:

Anyway, what the fuck am I still doing up? It's 4am!

One more thing.... I got this review/article/whatever you may call it published.... click on it and I may earn a few pennies... http://musicouch.com/music-making/why-p ... -ever-made
  • Options
    One of the best reviews I've read about any album by anyone! :clap:
    PJ Manchester MEN - 20.06.12
    PJ Manchester MEN - 21.06.12
    EV Manchester O2 Apollo - 28.07.12
    PJ Leeds Arena - 08.07.14
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    couldnt agree more my favourite album
    danny d
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

If there is any coincidence, I am not aware of it or I haven't realised about it yer, could you explain it to me, please? I ghess you may have a piece of info I don't... something PJ or Yield related...

Well, I was mostly just referring to the conspiracy theories and "23 enigma" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma, but if you want a PJ connection, here ya go!

EdBullsVid2.jpg
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options

I thought that you were referring to 23 as in the release date of 2-3...another coincidence?
    Awesome fucking album- has always been one of my faves!!
    And really enjoyed reading the review article-- well done
    September 15, 1998 Mansfield MA/ August 29, 2000 Mansfield, MA/ June 11, 2008 West Palm Beach, FL/ July 2, 2012 Prague, Czech Republic/ July 4, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ July 5, 2012 Berlin, Germany/ September 21, 2012 Pensacola, FL/ July 16, 2013 London, ON, Canada/ July 19, 2013 Chicago, IL/ October 12, 2013 Buffalo, NY/ October 25, 2013 Hartford, CT/ November 23, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 24, 2013 Los Angeles, CA/ November 26, 2013 Oakland, CA/ November 29, 2013 Portland, OR/ November 30, 2013 Spokane, WA
  • Options
    Well, I was mostly just referring to the conspiracy theories and "23 enigma" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_enigma, but if you want a PJ connection, here ya go!

EdBullsVid2.jpg

No, I wasn't awarre of that, I am not keen on Numerology, Metaphysics, Jedi tricks, Witchcrafts or any kind of Hoccus Poccus, though I watched and enjoyed all Harry Potter movies, and I do think that the girl who play the role of Ginny Weasley was hot...

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Favorite album?........close but no sitar. Nothing can beat No Code, but def one of PJ's best. Top to bottom, great record.

I'm lucky to have heard All Those Yesterdays live. In fact, after they played it, Ed said to the crowd, "Ya know, we're paying attention up here. Is that what you guys are into tonight...the weird shit? This next one you've heard (as they went on to play Black) before, but we'll start fucking it up after that I think."
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14