Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,978
    Wobbie said:

why does that rate a :lol: ?
    most people thought this was gonna rejuvenate his career. new team, new city. i have nothing against him, i was hoping he would do better (not against the eagles obviously).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218

Given multiple appearances with equal number of victories, undefeated should always be more impressive.

I completely disagree. You don't just appear in the championship through a random drawing. You earn your way there and it's tough to do it.

I once saw an e-mail in Bill Simmons' mailbag that I found interesting. The e-mailer noted that, for legacy reasons, a player/team is almost better off not making the playoffs (or Super Bowl) than getting there and losing. The e-mailer, like myself, disagreed with this. But from the perspective of the media, and some fans (like yourself), I see what he means. Take Jim Plunkett for example. He's 8-2 in the playoffs. Well that means he only got his team to the playoffs 4 times. All his other seasons were a wash. So is he better than Peyton Manning who's 14-13 in the playoffs? That record means that Manning has led his team to the playoffs 15 times. But, like Simmons' e-mailer said, it seems that being consistently good enough to make the playoffs and great once in a while to win the Super Bowl isn't as good for your reputation as being great enough once or twice to win the Super Bowl and shitty all the other times. You lose in week 17 to miss the playoffs, nobody remembers. You lose in the conference championship, you're a choker. Weird.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
    agree with this. same goes with coaches. as an Eagles fan i still don't get the hate Andy Reid gets.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338
    Jason P said:

igotid88 said:

The Pats are 12-5 when Brady was unable to play.

Coaching is just...better in NE
    I'd say organizational management. Not many weak links. Your starting QB can go down and you can still get a record that should get you in the playoffs. Unlike the Colts, where when Manning goes down the rest of the organization is exposed as incompetent. Brady doesn't have to pull all the team's weight, just a small fraction of it.

If Luck goes down, the Colts will be battling the Rams for the #1 pick

(oh wait, the Rams traded all their picks to the Colt's rivals for a practice team QB)
    Agreed. It's that model of consistency that every team should strive for.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I assume the people in Tennessee are celebrating the shit show that is the Rams based on the fact they will probably begetting a top 5 pick in the first and second rounds. No way the Rams win more than 2 or 3 games. If it were not for the Browns the #1 pick could be in play.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    The greatest call in the history of broadcasting. RIGHT HERE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JssKqYoy5p4
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Jeff Fisher looks like he needs to eat some prunes at all times. How is this man still a head coach in the NFL?
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Hahaha. He has 'Call Me' and his phone number on his body.
    He could play for the Rams.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    edited September 2016

Given multiple appearances with equal number of victories, undefeated should always be more impressive.

I completely disagree. You don't just appear in the championship through a random drawing. You earn your way there and it's tough to do it.

I once saw an e-mail in Bill Simmons' mailbag that I found interesting. The e-mailer noted that, for legacy reasons, a player/team is almost better off not making the playoffs (or Super Bowl) than getting there and losing. The e-mailer, like myself, disagreed with this. But from the perspective of the media, and some fans (like yourself), I see what he means. Take Jim Plunkett for example. He's 8-2 in the playoffs. Well that means he only got his team to the playoffs 4 times. All his other seasons were a wash. So is he better than Peyton Manning who's 14-13 in the playoffs? That record means that Manning has led his team to the playoffs 15 times. But, like Simmons' e-mailer said, it seems that being consistently good enough to make the playoffs and great once in a while to win the Super Bowl isn't as good for your reputation as being great enough once or twice to win the Super Bowl and shitty all the other times. You lose in week 17 to miss the playoffs, nobody remembers. You lose in the conference championship, you're a choker. Weird.

I'm not talking about who had the better career or who is the better overall QB or even who is the better playoff QB. All I'm saying is if you have a guy who is 4-0 in Super Bowls and a guy who is 4-2 in Super Bowls (or 4-1, 4-3, 4-4, 4-6 etc)... the undefeated record, in the Super Bowl game itself, is more impressive than the one with losses. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

agree with this. same goes with coaches. as an Eagles fan i still don't get the hate Andy Reid gets.

Nor Donovan McNabb. That dude was a baller and actually had me rooting for a damn Philadelphia team for a while! It's a shame he & Andy never won a SB together.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,218

actually might be the dumbest call. he just made this idiot go viral - which you proved by posting the video.

maybe Kaepernick can protest that too
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,747
    edited September 2016

I'm not talking about who had the better career or who is the better overall QB or even who is the better playoff QB. All I'm saying is if you have a guy who is 4-0 in Super Bowls and a guy who is 4-2 in Super Bowls (or 4-1, 4-3, 4-4, 4-6 etc)... the undefeated record, in the Super Bowl game itself, is more impressive than the one with losses. Not sure why that's so hard to understand.
    I get what you're saying, dude. It's not that hard to understand. Your logic suggests that Brady "had more chances" than Montana and Bradshaw and thus, for Montana and Bradshaw to maximize their chances by winning them all, they're better. But you don't just appear in the Super Bowl and have a Super Bowl career that's separate from the rest of your career. You seem to want to separate a Super Bowl Career from the rest of their career. Which is fine for you if ya wanna do that, but I'm not. So my argument is that Brady has earned more chances and shouldn't be penalized for that. And I'll be making this same argument for Lebron if he gets a 6th ring and folks of your ilk argue that "Jordan never lost a finals." Again, I get what you're saying. It's not hard to understand...at all. But I'm just not in agreement with your premise.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I get what you're saying, dude. It's not that hard to understand. Your logic suggests that Brady "had more chances" than Montana and Bradshaw and thus, for Montana and Bradshaw to maximize their chances by winning them all, they're better. But you don't just appear in the Super Bowl and have a Super Bowl career that's separate from the rest of your career. You seem to want to separate a Super Bowl Career from the rest of their career. Which is fine for you if ya wanna do that, but I'm not. So my argument is that Brady has earned more chances and shouldn't be penalized for that. And I'll be making this same argument for Lebron if he gets a 6th ring and folks of your ilk argue that "Jordan never lost a finals." Again, I get what you're saying. It's not hard to understand...at all. But I'm just not in agreement with your premise.
    That's not what I'm suggesting at all.
  • Options
    Let me take another specific stat... interceptions.

Brett Favre threw more interceptions than every other QB who ever played the game. In no way am I then saying that every other QB who ever played the game had a better career than Brett Favre. It just means he was better than all of them at throwing INTs.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,747
    edited September 2016

That's not what I'm suggesting at all.
    Well you're saying that a perfect winning percentage with four rings is better than a non-perfect winning percentage with four rings. You underlined "they're better" stressing you don't mean that. So you mean it's "more impressive" rather than "they're better" I guess. Or something. Whatever.
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

So great. I'm a big Kevin Harlan fan. Wish he did bigger games on TV.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,125
    edited September 2016
    pjhawks said:

actually might be the dumbest call. he just made this idiot go viral - which you proved by posting the video.

maybe Kaepernick can protest that too
    He should.....I didn't watch the game but when there's a game that boring and out of hand I don't blame him one bit to make that call. It's not only fans that can feel or see the boredom coming from that game, the announcers see it as well. I hope the guy thinks it was worth it spend the night or two in the clink.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261

Harlan is great.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

It was just so seamless the way he went from the game action to this douchebag. I've always been a fan of his too.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

It was just so seamless the way he went from the game action to this douchebag. I've always been a fan of his too.
    Well as he mentioned, this was the most action there was in that game.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123

Well as he mentioned, this was the most action there was in that game.
    I think he out rushed Todd Gurley. I was hoping for the tazer / billy club clothesline takedown, but we went down like a chump.
  • Options
    How is it this Rams betting line possible?

(-3.5) Sea vs Rams

In comparison:

(-14) Carolina vs 49ers

Where the Seahawks in a plane crash that I've yet heard of?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Wilson is dinged and they almost lost at home to Miami.

(I think Seattle destroys the Rams. In fact, I think everyone destroys the Rams.)
  • Options
    Rams won both games last year and 3 of last 4 which is why I think the line is that way.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Rams fucking suck
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    The LA Rams have not scored since the 2nd Quarter on Christmas Eve 1994. Last point was scored by Tony Zendejas on a PAT. Jerome Bettis had 48 yards rushing.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    Ha!
    This winner of a human being was on that team as well. I lived a short walk from the Coli at the time, attending USC. (Not a walk you made after dark, however.)

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Bills fire Greg Roman.

Did anyone who watches that game last night think the issue in Buffalo is their play calling? Overwhelmingly, the issue is a defense that blows giant schlongs. They couldn't stop NY without NY shooting themselves in the foot.
    A few questionable play calls but Taylor overthrew lots of open receivers.

The problem here is clear - Lapband has to go. He is the "defensive genius" and his defense was awful last night.
  • Options
    Bills should never have hired sexy rexy's twin. I dislike Roman from his 49ers days but he was not the issue.
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    Da Bills
  • Options

Bills should never have hired sexy rexy's twin. I dislike Roman from his 49ers days but he was not the issue.

The ills should have never hired rex
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place