Options

Dave Grohl Is A Bit Of A Nerd

Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
edited November 2011 in Other Music
I hate to say it, I just don't see what the infatuation is. Watched a Foo Fighters documentary on Palladia right after I watched PJ20 and the guy just seems like a bit of a dork and dramatic to me. Petty shit like playing with other bands and stuff, seems like manufactured drama to me. I don't know, maybe it's just because I never really got into the Foo Fighters but our guy seems a whole lot more real to me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DollarDollar Posts: 237
    Read Grohl's response to the Cobain comments about PJ on p. 357-358 in PJ20 & you'll realize what a fan he is of PJ & the Seattle music scene. Doesn't sound nerdy at all but rather sincere & supporter of PJ.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I hate to say it, I just don't see what the infatuation is. Watched a Foo Fighters documentary on Palladia right after I watched PJ20 and the guy just seems like a bit of a dork and dramatic to me. Petty shit like playing with other bands and stuff, seems like manufactured drama to me. I don't know, maybe it's just because I never really got into the Foo Fighters but our guy seems a whole lot more real to me.

Not sure if Grohl playing drums in another band is manufactured drama. When he is playing in other bands, the remaining members of Foo Fighters can't really move forward recording music or touring during that time. If Grohl goes away, let's say, for two years or something recording and touring with other groups, the other members either sit around or do their own thing.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Dollar wrote:
    Read Grohl's response to the Cobain comments about PJ on p. 357-358 in PJ20 & you'll realize what a fan he is of PJ & the Seattle music scene. Doesn't sound nerdy at all but rather sincere & supporter of PJ.
    Isn't there another quote by him at the end of the book, where he defended them during an interview or is that the part you're talking about?

Either way, Dave Grohl is no way a nerd.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    I think all musicians are nerds/dorks (that's why they became musicians ;) )
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    animusanimus Twin Cities area Posts: 530
    LukinFan wrote:
    I think all musicians are nerds/dorks (that's why they became musicians ;) )

i agree. Its just being really into what you like/do so either way i don't see anything wrong with it.
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I think our guy maybe should lighten up a little bit
  • Options
    redkeethredkeeth Posts: 123
    youngster wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Not sure if Grohl playing drums in another band is manufactured drama. When he is playing in other bands, the remaining members of Foo Fighters can't really move forward recording music or touring during that time. If Grohl goes away, let's say, for two years or something recording and touring with other groups, the other members either sit around or do their own thing.

He played in the new Muppets Movie in a band LoL. (Not kidding)
    * Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003
    * Bill Graham Civic Auditorium - Jul 18, 2006
    * Key Arena - Sep 21, 2009

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,453
    What's wrong with being a nerd? :geek:

And what's wrong with playing in other bands, especially when you're one of the all-time great drummers? Songs for the Deaf and Them Crooked Vultures are two of the greatest albums of the zero's decade.

It's fine if people don't like the Foos because they don't think their music is good, but I don't get the attacks on Dave. He's just a guy who likes to be a rock star and likes to make loud music.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,161
    Went to the Foos show in Newark a few weeks back, my 3rd time seeing them(not counting Bridge a month ago)

1st 4-5 songs were rocking, most of the show was.

But there were times Dave just killed the momentum of the show by not shutting up. And people say Ed talks too much.... Maybe the politics - are what rub some PJ fans the wrong way cause they are conservative or something I don't know. But Dave completely butchered some songs by trying to get a bunch of seat warmers into a show they could care less about.

I thought if he cut some of this out, the show would have been much better. Kept talking about a three hour show we were gonna experience ....... Yet I felt most of it was his hot air and not enough songs.

I love Dave and accept him being goofy and some of that coming out at shows..... But he needs to move on sometimes and get on with it
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    All make good points and I will say I was a bit under the influence and have no recollection of starting this. I don't know. I just watched the documentary hoping for something and I just felt like everything came off as incredibly cheesy.
  • Options
    KathiKathi Posts: 1,828
    Are you referring to the time after taylor's overdose when dave went to play with queens, and the rest of the band got upset that there might be no foo fighters anymore? That wasn't manufactured, there was a very real possibility of them quitting during that time.

I love how he's fun and goofy most of the time, it's just the type of person he seems to be. I wouldn't say it's better than being serious, and getting involved in controversial subjects, it's just a matter of personality. I like the banter inbetween songs too, but what someone said about him wanting to involve everyone there is very true - one of the reasons why they have that goddamn greatest hits setlist all the time.
  • Options
    javis el errantejavis el errante Buenos Aires Posts: 6,136
    I could not find it, but I saw an MTV interview in which Dave Grohl acknowledges being a geek in highschool, so, he a was a geek in highschool, and he is a goofy now, it doesn't matter to me, I like him, and I like Foo Fighters, however, I found this... enjoy and make your own conclusion...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5OwuUt-S4
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    I like dorks, and Dave has no reason to manufacture any drama. I thought Back and Forth was incredible.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,453
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Went to the Foos show in Newark a few weeks back, my 3rd time seeing them(not counting Bridge a month ago)

1st 4-5 songs were rocking, most of the show was.

But there were times Dave just killed the momentum of the show by not shutting up. And people say Ed talks too much.... Maybe the politics - are what rub some PJ fans the wrong way cause they are conservative or something I don't know. But Dave completely butchered some songs by trying to get a bunch of seat warmers into a show they could care less about.

I thought if he cut some of this out, the show would have been much better. Kept talking about a three hour show we were gonna experience ....... Yet I felt most of it was his hot air and not enough songs.

I love Dave and accept him being goofy and some of that coming out at shows..... But he needs to move on sometimes and get on with it

Yeah I thought the "3 hour show" was very fluffy. I see both sides of the Foos argument. I definitely love the band and I take them for what they are.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    He's one funny motherfucker and besides being in Nirvana the lead singer of one of the biggest rock bands in the world. Not sure what you classify as being a nerd but he's a bad ass in my book any day of the week.
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    there's nothing wrong with being a nerd.
  • Options
    I have no issues with Dave Grohl. In fact, I think he's a pretty brave guy. He rose out of the ashes of Nirvana after what had to be a really traumatic experience of Kurt's death, got to work, and became the frontman of a band that has been quite successful over the years. Good on him for making it in his own right, and not resting on the laurels of Nirvana his whole life!

I have been sort of an on-again/off-again fan of the Foos - I really love Wasting Light, but I have not necessarily liked all of their albums as much. But Dave Grohl? I think he's a hard working guy who deserves a lot of props for his hard work in two hugely successful bands..plus a bunch of side projects that have been quite good as well.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with being a nerd or a geek or whatever you will. I will say though that I CANNOT stand the Foo Fighters. I think Dave Grohl is fake and tries too hard to be funny. Had he not been in Nirvana we would not know who this guy is.....
  • Options
    EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    lovin' the nerd love. :)
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    To me, Dave Grohl is the epitome of cool. Extremely talented and seems like the nicest guy in the world. Whenever he does something in his typical goofball fashion I still find myself saying, "Damn, he's STILL awesome!" :D Dave kicks all kinds of ass in my book!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2