Options

The guy front row dead center 6/1

PineappleAnaPineappleAna Posts: 255
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
was he a statue and I mistook him for a man?

the guy didn't move a muscle the whole show.

I don't get it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    possomistspossomists Posts: 427
    you freeze up there, its a scary spot, in his head he was rocking out
    "you can say that we're, nocturnal, posssomists"
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    possomists wrote:
    you freeze up there, its a scary spot, in his head he was rocking out

I've been up there a couple times, and never does it cause me to freeze, the exact opposite actually, I have a monster bruise on my elbow from the railing from storytellers

are we talking about the same guy, he was wearing a visor or hat...I never so his head move
  • Options
    I didnt see him, I'm just saying, in general ive seen people freeze up there
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    jeddethjeddeth Posts: 93
    there was another guy standing behind him, but also in the front row, who got there about half way through the show and then during footsteps and alive he was on his cell the entire time... just chatting it up. I felt like eddie was giving him evils during footsteps.
    Things change. They wont change unless you make them. The best way to change something you don't like, is to change yourself. So if you feel like you have a piece of duct tape on your mouth and you can't escape, take it off, speak up, speak your mind, shout it out, let 'em hear ya! -EV
  • Options
    possomists wrote:
    I didnt see him, I'm just saying, in general ive seen people freeze up there

well they're wusses! I'll show them how it's done

did you see your picture in the vh1 section? we had better "seats" then kerensa.
  • Options
    Who got more out of the show and who retained more: the fan who was dancing and singing the entire show, or the guy who stood still and took everything in?

I'll pick the second guy!
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    Who got more out of the show and who retained more: the fan who was dancing and singing the entire show, or the guy who stood still and took everything in?

I'll pick the second guy!

oh yes, people who show no emotion whatsoever are always deep thinkers right?

I'm not saying he didn't enjoy the show, he just didn't look like he was enjoying it.

if you were in the band would you want to see a bunch of stiffs right in front of you? I doubt it, you'd want some reaction.
  • Options
    skinnylegsskinnylegs Posts: 112
    I was directly behind that guy and yes, he didn't move all night. He was the one who caught Eddie's towel after Eddie accidentally spit on all of us.(I didn't mind.He can spit on me anytime.) The girl he was with was even worse. It was her first show and I could tell she didn't know any of the songs. And then the guy next to her was on his cell phone all night. Who are these people? Why do they bother coming to shows and taking away seats from true fans?
    "Those who dance are called insane by people who don't hear the music."
  • Options
    ehcancehcanc Posts: 179
    You missed a good show ... Ed was awesome !!!

I don't get it.
    Everything has chains, absolutely nothings changed.

8/12/92 - NJ, 9/28/96 - NY, 9/8/98 - NJ, 9/10/98 - NY, 8/23/00 - NY, 7/8/03 - NY, 7/14/03 - NJ, 5/4/06 - Ed Sullivan Theater, 5/12/06 - NY, 6/1/06 - NJ1, 4/12/08 - ED IN LA !, 6/27/08 - CT, 8/4/08 - ED in NYC !!!
  • Options
    skinnylegs wrote:
    I was directly behind that guy and yes, he didn't move all night. He was the one who caught Eddie's towel after Eddie accidentally spit on all of us.(I didn't mind.He can spit on me anytime.) The girl he was with was even worse. It was her first show and I could tell she didn't know any of the songs. And then the guy next to her was on his cell phone all night. Who are these people? Why do they bother coming to shows and taking away seats from true fans?

it was weird right? I saw everyone else move around him, everyone in my section 110 and 109 were rocking their asses off
  • Options

I'm not saying he didn't enjoy the show, he just didn't look like he was enjoying it.

if you were in the band would you want to see a bunch of stiffs right in front of you? I doubt it, you'd want some reaction.

They have been touring for 16 years. I don't think they care what anyone is doing in the crowd...and that's even if they take notice. I think fans get the impression that Eddie is actually looking at them........guess what?, He's NOT!
    I don't dance at Pearl Jam shows, you know why? Because I can't dance. I like to stand still and take everything in. I've been in a band for 12+ years and I like to see what Pearl jam does when they play live. If I'm dancing, I can't see..........period.
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    colorsblendcolorsblend Posts: 173
    I would rather have this guy next to me that stood still, than the ass next to me last night. The guy repeatedly elbowed me in the head while jumping and didn't apologize. My head was throbbing after the concert.

Hey asshole, if you're on this board, when a 5'1" girl tells you to watch your elbow repeatedly, you better take notice and not slam her in the head.
    The jerk had the nerve to start arguing with me when I elbowed him in the ribs after putting up with him for an hour.
  • Options
    They have been touring for 16 years. I don't think they care what anyone is doing in the crowd...and that's even if they take notice. I think fans get the impression that Eddie is actually looking at them........guess what?, He's NOT!
    I don't dance at Pearl Jam shows, you know why? Because I can't dance. I like to stand still and take everything in. I've been in a band for 12+ years and I like to see what Pearl jam does when they play live. If I'm dancing, I can't see..........period.

well that's just you, plenty of other people can move and see at the same time

I highly doubt the band doesn't care if the fans move around, ever see mike mccready ham it up for someone sitting in their sit.

and ed does look at people
  • Options
    I would rather have this guy next to me that stood still, than the ass next to me last night. The guy repeatedly elbowed me in the head while jumping and didn't apologize. My head was throbbing after the concert.

Hey asshole, if you're on this board, when a 5'1" girl tells you to watch your elbow repeatedly, you better take notice and not slam her in the head.
    The jerk had the nerve to start arguing with me when I elbowed him in the ribs after putting up with him for an hour.

well that's just inconsiderate
  • Options
    rnyc214rnyc214 Posts: 39

I don't get it.

I was thinking the same thing, I was in section 121 and had a perfect view. I so hope that they have a "ticket mishap" again on Saturday and get some people that would really love being that close. Not saying that the people in front were not rocking out, most were but that one guy was just standing there.
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    If he was in the first row, he must be over 40 years old. I noticed that all the shows I've been too, the first row is mainly older people who have been 10C members since the conception.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42

You are absolutely wrong many bands get annoyed by moshing and dancing. Take tool, apc, radiohead for example who actually encourage their fans merely to stand and take in the music and experience their art it in all of its beauty. Such bands actually discourage this dancing that you claim signifies a true fan as it disturbs them and those who come to take in the atmosphere. To each his own, thats all i have to say. just because you like looking like a fool does not mean that everyone should do it and IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BIGGER FAN! I would even go so far as to say that your actions actually show an inability to comrehend the music. Some of us actually come because it is somewhat of a spiritual experience, NOT JUST TO AS AN EXCUSE TO MOSH, "ROCK OUT" AND STUPIDLY DANCE AROUND DRUNK. People need to stop bitching about others on this board and trying to make themselves look so fuckin hardcore. We all love the music or we wouldnt be there. Live and let live.
  • Options
    eloesch1 wrote:
    You are absolutely wrong many bands get annoyed by moshing and dancing. Take tool, apc, radiohead for example who actually encourage their fans merely to stand and take in the music and experience their art it in all of its beauty. Such bands actually discourage this dancing that you claim signifies a true fan as it disturbs them and those who come to take in the atmosphere. To each his own, thats all i have to say. just because you like looking like a fool does not mean that everyone should do it and IT DOES NOT MAKE YOU A BIGGER FAN! I would even go so far as to say that your actions actually show an inability to comrehend the music. Some of us actually come because it is somewhat of a spiritual experience, NOT JUST TO AS AN EXCUSE TO MOSH, "ROCK OUT" AND STUPIDLY DANCE AROUND DRUNK. People need to stop bitching about others on this board and trying to make themselves look so fuckin hardcore. We all love the music or we wouldnt be there. Live and let live.

you don't know the first thing about my pj experience, so don't even assume that:
    I drink, I act like a fool, or that I think I'm a bigger fan than anyone else

we're not talking about tool and radiohead, we're talking about a rock band.

don't ever assume I don't comprehend the music, ever.

practice what you preach.
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    Quite frankly i dont think you do understand the music! Your just another obsessive fan who thinks they kno everything. The comment about tool and radiohead really shows that what kind of music fan you are....
  • Options
    well they're wusses! I'll show them how it's done

did you see your picture in the vh1 section? we had better "seats" then kerensa.

the vh1 section wheres that?
    -ed july 8th MSG 2004
  • Options
    eloesch1 wrote:
    Quite frankly i dont think you do understand the music! Your just another obsessive fan who thinks they kno everything. The comment about tool and radiohead really shows that what kind of music fan you are....

again your comment shows you know absolutely nothing about me, yes tool and radiohead are rock but not in the same category as pearl jam

never have I claimed to know everything, you're the one assuming things about me.

you have fun standing still, I'll continue to enjoy, understand and love the music my own way
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I don't know. I like to dance and sing (am considerate of my neighbors) but front row I really don't know what I'd do. I just don't. I might just stare, looking at everyone's hands as they play, just seeing stuff I can never usually see, taking it all in, because I'd never want it to end and of course it would. It would be something I'd never forget though.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    it looked like there were more than one statue down there. I like to dance and sing, but the movement down there wasn't very good, unfortunately
  • Options
    PJaholicPJaholic Posts: 81
    I feel I have to add my 2 cents in here. I was sitting 2 seats from the front row center guy in question here. First of, this was my first show sitting front row and like JaneNY said, I was a llittle in awe at first. It's pretty breathtaking to be that close to a band that has influenced your life for so many years. However, as I do in my usual 10C seats ( I sat with someone else last night) I rocked out to most of the show.

Everyone should lay off the dude in center. He may not have been jumping around but he was singing every word to every song they played. He was enjoying himself fully. Him and his girl were actually really cool people.
    "i'm lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side"
  • Options
    C D NC D N Posts: 29
    i could care less what the boys do on stage, i enjoy keeping my eyes closed 50% of the show and let the ears except the sonic. plus i dont like gwaking
  • Options
    pjhawkpjhawk Posts: 20
    I am a firm believer that this band feeds off the energy that their crowd gives them. That that energy is expressed in a physical way, this is the way that it has always been with them from day one. Vedder's stage antics have almost always been about putting on the best show for their audience, and that is expressed through noise(claps and screams) and "rocking out"(jumping, arms swinging, head banging, moshing, etc). I have been at shows where the crowd was so great that you could actually feel us willing them into something different, something more. Pearl Jam isn't considered one of the best live acts around just because they sound good live, it is because of that exchange of energy that happens, if you are there you can feel it. Sometimes it certainly happens, and sometimes it most certainly does not.

Case in point, the Alpine 03 show, the people who were there probably consider that one of the best shows they have ever seen, and the ones who have only listened to the boot don't really get it, the boot is good, and the energy is high, but you just don't get what happened between crowd and band. By the setlist that show is nothing more than average at best, and I think probably has the biggest contrast of any show discussed in comparison of boot to live experience. But being there in the crowd you could feel something was going on, and it was obvious from the lawn. A lot of shows the lawn is just there, nothing great, a lot of people just off in their own worlds, at that show it was like there was some sort of energy magnet on stage, it really felt like the whole place could just explode. The air was electric, and that wasn't just because of the band, that was because of the people, working together that night got moved to a different place. We all agree that shows like the Boston run, State College, the Gorge, etc are classic for length, but Alpine 03 was something special, and maybe you just had to be there to realize what effect crowd on fire can have on the band.

I have been to quite a few shows, but that one really stands out as something more. It may have been because of the perfect day, I don't know, but it was amazing. Also, just look at how vibrant the South American shows were, those crowds gave and gave, and the band gave back more.
  • Options
    orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029
    give me front row tix and i guarrentee constant movement.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Options
    I saw a statue guy in the dead center front rows during the Camden Shows. REALLLY tall guy... didnt move at all whole show.

I personally go wild for the entire show, til i can't even hold myself up anymore.

whatever.... to each his own.

~inquis
    "Now when people ask me, where's my favorite place to play, I'll reply, Newark NJ!" -EV (solo '08)
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,177
    I think its safe to say front row people have most likely already sat front row or at least first 5 rows for multiple shows. So being up front is nothing new for them, really. Which sucks :/

But, I think the whole dancing vs. statue debate falls with each person. Some people express themselves emotionally, some don't. Some are shy, some let it all go. I have been one to complain some about people not rocking the f out, but ya know, as long as they're having fun, I'm glad. But the band does feed off of energy, I agree; so a suggestion, let your emotions go during the shows ;)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    nycnptnycnpt Posts: 71
    There were about 5 or 6 people in the front row who looked like they'd rather be somewhere else.

Crowd rank for shows I've been to this tour

Boston 2, Boston 1, Albany, Hartford, NJ1
    96- Ed in Pvd, NYC 1, Hartford, Ft Lauderdale
    98- Hartford, BOS 1&2 00- Bos 1&2
    03- BOS 1,2&3, NYC 1 - 04- BOS 1 &2
    05 - Borgotta 1&2
    06 - Albany, CT, BOS 1&2, NYC 1&2, Vegas
    08- MSG I & II - EV Solo NYC 1&2
    10- BOS, MSG2
    11- Ed PVD, NYC1

And a ton more. 80 something.