Options

Questions re: Betterman at Seattle (11-06-2000)

MickeyMcFinniganMickeyMcFinnigan Posts: 30
edited December 2011 in The Porch
This is my favorite performance of Betterman, although Mansfield 06-28-08 is a close second. The reason it's my favorite is the tag at the end. To the best I can determine, these are the lyrics:

I don't wanna leave
It's hard to leave
I wanna believe it ...
I wanna believe that...
I wanna believe that... and I wouldn't believe (you're in love with me?)
Here I come ... I'm coming home.
I'd rather it be yours
And it takes my strength
It takes all my strength
And I know ... I know ...
I gotta go...
Go….
Go...
I'm gone!!!

My questions are:

1. Does anyone have anything to contribute on the lyrics?
2. Was this complete improv or (a) cover, (b) taken from another PJ/Vedder piece?
3. Was there a particular inspiration for this (apparently rare or one-time) tag?
4. Has Eddie ever used this tag in another performance?

Thanks in advance!
Columbus (3-31-92), (5-6-10)
Cleveland (7-29-92)
VA Beach (8-3-00), (6-17-08)
DC (7-1-03), (6-22-08)
Camden (5-28-06)
Bristow (5-13-10)
Vancouver (9-25-11)
Wrigley (7-19-13)
Charlottesville (10-29-13)
Seattle (12-6-13)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    This is my favorite performance of Betterman, although Mansfield 06-28-08 is a close second. The reason it's my favorite is the tag at the end. To the best I can determine, these are the lyrics:

I don't wanna leave
    It's hard to leave
    I wanna believe it ...
    I wanna believe that...
    I'd rather it be yours
    And it takes my strength
    It takes all my strength
    I gotta go...
    Go….
    Go...
    I'm gone!!!

My questions are:

2. Was this complete improv or (a) cover, (b) taken from another PJ/Vedder piece?
    3. Was there a particular inspiration for this (apparently rare or one-time) tag?

Thanks in advance!

2. complete improv
    3. This is just speculation, but 2000 was an intense year for Eddie. First, there was the Roskilde tragedy. He was also going through a divorce. There was a lot of question throughout the NA Tour in 2000 whether the band would go on after the Roskilde tragedy because of what Eddie said during the Randall's Island show in 1996 about not being able to play another show if one of their fans died. I think that tag reflects a lot of the emotions that Eddie was going through that year.
    4. Not that I know of.
  • Options
    I think in the tour of 2003.. there are a 2 good live version of Betterman (mexico and state college) but you're right this version in Seatlle 2000 is one of my favorites, the #1.
    -martinmortality-
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Thanks for posting this. It's exactly how I feel today (even though this was posted over three years ago). I've not heard that tag before or read the "lyrics", but it really hit home.

My husband of 20+ years has informed me that our marriage is over and he doesn't want to be with me, he doesn't love me anymore -- and I cannot believe it. Not only do I lose him, I lose my dogs, my house, and my in-laws. Happy freakin' Christmas. This is a tough time of year for me anyway, but this takes the cake. There will never be another Christmas in my future. I'm done. I wanted to die last night. Had a plan. But why ruin Christmas for everyone else?

I can't do this one-day-at-time shit. Each day is another day further from him. I've spent more than half my life with him...now what? It takes all my strength to even want to move on...or breathe even...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    PMd you vedderfan10.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    Thanks for posting this. It's exactly how I feel today (even though this was posted over three years ago). I've not heard that tag before or read the "lyrics", but it really hit home.

My husband of 20+ years has informed me that our marriage is over and he doesn't want to be with me, he doesn't love me anymore -- and I cannot believe it. Not only do I lose him, I lose my dogs, my house, and my in-laws. Happy freakin' Christmas. This is a tough time of year for me anyway, but this takes the cake. There will never be another Christmas in my future. I'm done. I wanted to die last night. Had a plan. But why ruin Christmas for everyone else?

I can't do this one-day-at-time shit. Each day is another day further from him. I've spent more than half my life with him...now what? It takes all my strength to even want to move on...or breathe even...

Hang in there!!!
    I know you're going through a TOUGH TIME and being the Holiday season makes it worse...
    BUT if you need to talk or just blow off steam,
    We're here for you!!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    eladdereladder Posts: 414
    Best betterman w tag ever. Jones beach 2000. Nothings close. DONT LET ME DOWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pre83YMS ... ata_player
    He was ok but wondering about wandering
  • Options
    adamg5adamg5 Posts: 789
    edited August 2015

I don't wanna leave

It's hard to leave

I wanna believe it ...

I wanna believe that...

I'd rather it be yours

And it takes my strength

It takes all my strength

I gotta go...

Go….

Go...

I'm gone!!!

My questions are:

Thanks in advance!

I agree it's My favorite betterman version ever!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2mLZquwIY
  • Options
    Was just coming to post it was on touring band.

I agree, it seems it was just the emotion of playing a hometown show, and wrapping a major tour. Before 2000 there weren't 72 show tours for many years. Yes 98 was big but not as big as 2000.

One of my favorite versions as well.
  • Options
    I enjoy anticipating the tags on BM at the shows now. Some are just incredible when improvised from crowd feeding.
    Calgary 2005 tag. The yell after the wanna be's,
    Unbelievable. Still gives me chills everytime I hear it.
    Anyone have a link that they would be kind enough to post?

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    https://youtu.be/tPTyffpytJQ

Check this unique tag out...

Fucking killer, because it's real
  • Options
    my2hands said:

https://youtu.be/tPTyffpytJQ

Check this unique tag out...

Fucking killer, because it's real

Well, after seeing that
    Thanks for helping me decide which show to use my bootleg code for