Options

today's music pales in comparison...

Comments

• Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    pjl44 wrote:
    The other problem here is that, if you want to seriously have this discussion, you have to completely take taste out of the equation. What makes music from the 60s and 70s "better?"

If you take taste out (and the nostalgia you were talking about) and just look at it from a standpoint of musicianship, the 60's and 70's do stand out. And it's a hard thing to really gauge, for instance I don't know where I would put McCready in the ranks, but putting Pearl Jam aside and just looking at the musicians out there today, there aren't people with the technical skill of Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc. And I know it's not all about just the technical skill of a player, because they can be talented and play music nobody likes. And on the reverse there is some great music that was made by people who weren't as talented as those I mentioned. But even music from the 90's, which I love by the way, pales in comparison to the skill those people had back then. Sure there are a few REALLY talented people from that era, and now, but it was still a far cry from the older days.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    pjl44 wrote:
    Who's on the right track? My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Jack White, Ben Harper, Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes to name a few off the top of my head. But that's a discussion best had 10-20 years from now. They're each at various stages of their careers and, if you just want to be a cynic, you can poke holes in any of their bodies of work.

I'll be the cynic. none of those bands will stick and/or be considered seminal. Yeah, Ben's been around for awhile but he has, deservedly, a niche following. and too many of the others are really the same band.

don't kill me....it's just my opinion :?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    imalive wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    Who's on the right track? My Morning Jacket, Arcade Fire, Black Keys, Jack White, Ben Harper, Mumford and Sons, Fleet Foxes to name a few off the top of my head. But that's a discussion best had 10-20 years from now. They're each at various stages of their careers and, if you just want to be a cynic, you can poke holes in any of their bodies of work.

I'll be the cynic. none of those bands will stick and/or be considered seminal. Yeah, Ben's been around for awhile but he has, deservedly, a niche following. and too many of the others are really the same band.

Well I say they'll all be selling out amphitheaters in 10 years. So there.

Seriously, though, if you don't want to listen to anything recorded after 1980 that's totally your call. I just don't understand why it's such a common impulse to then take it to the point of shitting on entire generations of music. Is it insecurity that comes with getting older? Thousands of bands release an album every year and you can't find a handful you connect with? It's not some collective lack of talent, it's you.
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:
    imalive wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

Well I say they'll all be selling out amphitheaters in 10 years. So there.

Seriously, though, if you don't want to listen to anything recorded after 1980 that's totally your call. I just don't understand why it's such a common impulse to then take it to the point of shitting on entire generations of music. Is it insecurity that comes with getting older? Thousands of bands release an album every year and you can't find a handful you connect with? It's not some collective lack of talent, it's you.

I don't think the guys shit on an entire generation of music, he just gave his opinion. Kind of seems like you shit on him for having an opinion different than yours.
  • Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    I think this is way more apparent in Hip-Hop/Rap music.. The mainstream shit out now, its just garbage.. Chuck D, where are you???
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    pjl44 wrote:
    The other problem here is that, if you want to seriously have this discussion, you have to completely take taste out of the equation. What makes music from the 60s and 70s "better?"

If you take taste out (and the nostalgia you were talking about) and just look at it from a standpoint of musicianship, the 60's and 70's do stand out. And it's a hard thing to really gauge, for instance I don't know where I would put McCready in the ranks, but putting Pearl Jam aside and just looking at the musicians out there today, there aren't people with the technical skill of Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc. And I know it's not all about just the technical skill of a player, because they can be talented and play music nobody likes. And on the reverse there is some great music that was made by people who weren't as talented as those I mentioned. But even music from the 90's, which I love by the way, pales in comparison to the skill those people had back then. Sure there are a few REALLY talented people from that era, and now, but it was still a far cry from the older days.
    Have you heard Derek Trucks play guitar? I think a lot of the super technical stuff reached it's peak in the 70s because the technical music still had soul, afterwards, it got bloated and therefore fell out of the mainstream. The music never stopped getting more intricate, but this made it unsuitable for radio, thus the best of the best, while heard more often in the 70s, are not anymore.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    looking at the musicians out there today, there aren't people with the technical skill of Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc. And I know it's not all about just the technical skill of a player,because they can be talented and play music nobody likes.
    like satriani? :lol:

I'm not even sure I agree about today's technical skill....jonny lang, kenny wayne shepherd, derek trucks are all great players. thing is, they're not really doing anything revolutionary. they're just good and I do enjoy them.

I don't think the guys shit on an entire generation of music, he just gave his opinion. Kind of seems like you shit on him for having an opinion different than yours.
    no worries. I knew I'd get some folks fired up ;)
    I think this is way more apparent in Hip-Hop/Rap music.. The mainstream shit out now, its just garbage.. Chuck D, where are you???
    I won't lie and tell you I even bother to listen to today's hip-hop or rap. the old stuff was without a doubt better. period.
    Have you heard Derek Trucks play guitar? I think a lot of the super technical stuff reached it's peak in the 70s because the technical music still had soul, afterwards, it got bloated and therefore fell out of the mainstream. The music never stopped getting more intricate, but this made it unsuitable for radio, thus the best of the best, while heard more often in the 70s, are not anymore.
    funny story about Derek and it illustrates my feeling about today's music....I saw the tedeschi/trucks band a few months ago and liked them a lot. but you know what? the next day I downloaded some allmans, ronnie laws and sly because the TT Band reminded me of those bands....but the originals were better. :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

This isn't shitting on an entire generation of music?

these bands, and so many others, put out consistently great music and they did it for a long period of time. most of today's bands put out an album or two or three and fade into oblivion. is anyone going to be listening to death cab for cutie 30 years from now? somehow, I doubt it.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    pjl44 wrote:

these bands, and so many others, put out consistently great music and they did it for a long period of time. most of today's bands put out an album or two or three and fade into oblivion. is anyone going to be listening to death cab for cutie 30 years from now? somehow, I doubt it.
    Death Cab? Maybe not, but Ryan Adams, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire?

Absolutely.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

So why is it OK to say that Death Cab For Cutie has no staying power, but saying the same thing about the bands you like is "shitting on an entire generation of music"? Remember, you said that personal taste needs to be taken out of the equation, and also that only time will tell.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    So why is it OK to say that Death Cab For Cutie has no staying power, but saying the same thing about the bands you like is "shitting on an entire generation of music"? Remember, you said that personal taste needs to be taken out of the equation, and also that only time will tell.

I think time has told...Nobody puts PJ or Nirvana or the biggest bands of any other generation in the same breath as Zeppelin or the Beatles.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

I think time has told...Nobody puts PJ or Nirvana or the biggest bands of any other generation in the same breath as Zeppelin or the Beatles.

Yeah, it's all subjective I guess. And while I grew up in the time of PJ and Nirvana, and consider them great and highly influential, I don't really put them up there either. When I'm asked my opinion on such things, I'll usually make the distinction between my favorites, and my picks for greatest. Pearl Jam is my favorite, but I don't think they're the greatest band ever, or even in the top 3.
  • Options
    Pearl Jam is my favorite, but I don't think they're the greatest band ever, or even in the top 3.
    good point :thumbup:

me too.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

and I'm not "shitting on an entire generation"....believe me....I do listen to "today's music"...but I stand by my opinion.

"I will defend to my death your right to disagree with me"

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    The awesome thing about music is we all like different things. If you like at my music library you will see alot of new bands and not alot of older bands........I just like newer bands better. But I respect older rock music. Now to say one artist or one genre or even one years of a certain music is more meaning or better is something I don't think you can say. It's really up to everyone's opinion.
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    pjl44 wrote:

Huh? It's not ok. I was quoting the OP.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:

and I'm not "shitting on an entire generation"....believe me....I do listen to "today's music"...but I stand by my opinion.

"I will defend to my death your right to disagree with me"

Yeah, I guess so. It just bugs me when people dismiss anything current out of hand. It's all time and length of career. U2 was huge and fairly well established 15-20 years ago, but I don't think you could have put them in the conversation at that point. Today, I don't think most people would blink an eye if you mention them in that company.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    thefixer9 wrote:
    The awesome thing about music is we all like different things. If you like at my music library you will see alot of new bands and not alot of older bands........I just like newer bands better. But I respect older rock music. Now to say one artist or one genre or even one years of a certain music is more meaning or better is something I don't think you can say. It's really up to everyone's opinion.

Well said, young chap.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    dcfaithful wrote:
    thefixer9 wrote:

Well said, young chap.

:lol: Thanks!
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    How come every list compiled of the 100 greatest bands, guitarist drummer, bass players etc., always list the musicians and bands from the 60's and 70's in the top spots? I assume these list are compiled from fairly knowledgeable people.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    How come every list compiled of the 100 greatest bands, guitarist drummer, bass players etc., always list the musicians and bands from the 60's and 70's in the top spots? I assume these list are compiled from fairly knowledgeable people.

When you look at who contributed ballots to the compilation lists, it's at least half musicians. They will generally name their influences, not their peers or themselves.
  • Options
    http://www.avrev.com/top-100-bands-of-a ... /index.php

Found this list to be the most interesting of all the list I've seen available...at least this list has a system for placing the bands where they were placed.

For most part it backs up the OP opinion.

I do know 1 thing...when The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin, Dylan, Springsteen, Joplin, Hendrix, Billy Joel, Queen and a lot more than that come on the radio they sound good to me and are instantly recognizable and all have a sound of their own to me.

List are subjective...but usually the only thing that changes in these list is the order in which the bands rank.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    http://www.avrev.com/top-100-bands-of-all-time/top-10-rock-bands/index.php

Found this list to be the most interesting of all the list I've seen available...at least this list has a system for placing the bands where they were placed.

For most part it backs up the OP opinion.

I do know 1 thing...when The Beatles, The Who, The Stones, Zeppelin, Dylan, Springsteen, Joplin, Hendrix, Billy Joel, Queen and a lot more than that come on the radio they sound good to me and are instantly recognizable and all have a sound of their own to me.

List are subjective...but usually the only thing that changes in these list is the order in which the bands rank.

Good list. I was surprised to see some bands as low as they were. Led Zeppelin as #1 sounds right to me though.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    LOL, you know that this thread is about to be hijacked by angry comments over that list right? It has Stone Temple Pilots at #13 and Pearl Jam at #36. Oh well, all lists are going to get people's panties in a wad, but I don't recall even ever seeing STP on any lists like this, and certainly not so high.
  • Options
    LOL, you know that this thread is about to be hijacked by angry comments over that list right? It has Stone Temple Pilots at #13 and Pearl Jam at #36. Oh well, all lists are going to get people's panties in a wad, but I don't recall even ever seeing STP on any lists like this, and certainly not so high.

Goes to show I didn't notice that. I'd definitely change the STP ranking.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options

I was more focused at the top ten and the way they had a point system determining where a band placed...but good catch though.

• Options
    same site...best rock albums of all-time.

http://www.avrev.com/avrev.coms-top-100 ... /index.php

• Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    same site...best rock albums of all-time.

http://www.avrev.com/avrev.coms-top-100 ... /index.php

Now that's interesting, almost EVERY list has Sgt. Pepper at #1 and Pet Sounds at #2, nice to see Pink Floyd breaking into the top spot for once. As well as Zeppelin II and III ranking in above IV. The Rolling Stones Exile On Main St. and Aftermath are usually top 10 mainstays as well, but I don't even see them on the list. Tattoo You is at 46 though. It is certainly an interesting panel they put together, and while I might not agree with it all, it is a refreshing point of view.
  • Options
    lukin2006 wrote:
    http://www.avrev.com/top-100-bands-of-all-time/top-10-rock-bands/index.php

pearl jam just edges out boston :wtf: :crazy: :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I don't care much for polls and lists or other people's opinions for that matter but the bands from the 60's and 70's in particular piss all over the music from any other decade since. That's not to say there has been no good music since then. Cream, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Yarbirds, The Beatles, The Kinks, Rolling Stones, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Bob Marley, Jethro Tull, The Grateful Dead, Lou Reed & The Velvet Underground, Bruce Springsteen, The Doors, The Who, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Neil Young, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, AC/DC, Elvis Presley, Tom Waits and many others will be remembered longer than the majority of our current music. That isn't just opinion.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12