Options

PJ wins "2011 Planet Defender Award"!

YoullseeDragonsYoullseeDragons Posts: 2,118
edited April 2011 in The Porch
ROCK THE EARTH ANNOUNCES 2011 PLANET DEFENDERS

PEARL JAM, ROBERT F. KENNEDY, JR. AND JOSH FOX WIN PRESTIGIOUS AWARD

(DENVER, CO) -- Colorado-based environmental organization Rock the Earth has announced its 2011 Planet Defender Awards, in conjunction with their national Rock the Earth Day celebration. Grammy-award winning band Pearl Jam, Environmentalist Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., and Josh Fox, the Director of the Academy Award nominee documentary "Gasland," were selected as the winners in three categories. Planet Defender recipients are nominated by Rock the Earth members and chosen by Rock the Earth's National Volunteer Staff.

This year's winner in the ARTIST category, Pearl Jam, has over the course of a 20 year career, not only set the bar high in the world of rock music, but also in their dedication to environmental activism. Lead singer, Eddie Vedder, often participates in fundraisers and benefits for environmental groups like the Kelly Slater Foundation and Jack Johnson's Kokua Hawaii Foundation. He and the rest of Pearl Jam have donated money to groups that focus on climate change and other environmental concerns. Vedder is also a surfer and active in surf-related conservation efforts, most notably Surfrider Foundation. Guitarist Stone Gossard has been active in environmental pursuits, and has been an advocate of Pearl Jam's carbon neutral policy, offsetting the band's environmental impact. Spearheaded by Gossard, the band established a Carbon Portfolio Strategy, Pearl Jam's ongoing efforts to advance clean renewable energy and carbon mitigation. Through this Strategy, the band has donated more than $150,000 to nine organizations doing innovative work around climate change, renewable energy, and the environment. By working with these organizations to mitigate carbon emissions, Pearl Jam ultimately hopes to become 0% net emissions for all tours and band businesses. A committed environmentalist, Stone has quietly worked to use this influence to effect change locally and internationally through direct involvement in many environmental issues through his work with the Wild Salmon Center, Conservation International, Cascade Land Conservancy, New Apollo Energy Project, and Honor the Earth. In 2010, the band announced they would mitigate carbon emissions from their 2009 Backspacer Tour by donating $210,000 towards planting trees in the area of Puget Sound, Washington. RtE applauds Pearl Jam for setting a stellar example of how to Rock the Earth in a conscientious manner.

Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.'s reputation as a resolute defender of the environment stems from a litany of successful legal actions. Mr. Kennedy was named one of Time magazine's "Heroes for the Planet" for his success helping Riverkeeper lead the fight to restore the Hudson River. The group's achievement helped spawn more than 130 Waterkeeper organizations across the globe. Mr. Kennedy serves as Chief Prosecuting Attorney for the Hudson Riverkeeper and President of Waterkeeper Alliance. He is also a Clinical Professor and Supervising Attorney at Pace University School of Law's Environmental Litigation Clinic and is co-host of Ring of Fire on Air America Radio. Earlier in his career he served as Assistant District Attorney in New York City. He has worked on several political campaigns including the presidential campaigns of Edward M. Kennedy in 1980, Al Gore in 2000 and John Kerry in 2004.A tireless advocate, his commitment to the environment has earned him the Planet Defender award as COMMUNITY LEADER.

Kennedy says, "I am honored to accept Rock the Earth's Planet Defender award for Community Leader. In a time when corporate interests buy and sell political influence, grassroots organizations along with every-day citizens who risk their lives and livelihoods are the last lines of defense to ensure that our children and our grandchildren have access to clean water, clean air, and some of the most majestic and threatened places on Earth. I, along with groups like Rock the Earth are not protecting nature for nature's sake. We're protecting it because it enriches us, it enriches our economy and ultimately, will define us as a civilization for generations."

Director of the film, Gasland, Josh Fox is the founder and Artistic Director of International WOW Company, a film and theater company that works closely with filmmakers from around the world to create new work that addresses current national and global social and political crises. Josh's work is known for its mix of gripping narrative, heightened imagery and its commitment to socially conscious themes and subjects.

Most recently, Josh wrote and directed Gasland, his first documentary feature, which premiered at Sundance film festival in the US documentary competition. The film is about the largest domestic natural gas drilling boom in history has swept across the United States. What is uncovered is truly shocking--water that can be lit on fire right out of the sink, chronically ill residents of drilling areas from disparate locations in the US all with the same mysterious symptoms, huge pools of toxic waste that kill cattle and vegetation well blowouts and huge gas explosions consistently covered up by state and federal regulatory agencies. Josh's commitment and passion to bring this to light on the large screen- garners him Rock the Earth's Planet Defender award as GRASSROOTS ACTIVIST.

"It's a great honor to receive the Planet Defender Award. I appreciate all the attention given to Gasland, the film. Hydrofracking is an issue that continues to affect Americans. I encourage everyone to get involved with grassroots organizations like Rock the Earth if they want to continue to have their tap water," says Fox.

This year's Planet Defenders join last year's recipients: Artist, Bonnie Raitt; Community Leader, Laurie David of Stop Global Warming; and Grassroots Activist Louie Psihoyos of Oceanic Preservation Society, as those we honor as individuals who embody Rock the Earth's mission to Defend the Planet One Beat at a Time.

Each Planet Defender recipient will receive a one-of-a-kind award collectively created by artists Joe Benvenuto, Jason Garrett and Chico Raskey (Chico Artglass).

Planet Defender Awards - Past Winners

Artist
Community Leader
Grassroots Activism

Bonnie Raitt
Laurie David
Louie Psihoyos

Incubus
Van Jones
Jessy Tolkan

Dave Matthews Band
Andrew Winston
Karen Cragnolin

Barenaked Ladies
Carl Safina
Karen Dolan

Jack Johnson
Rocky Anderson
Jason Rutledge

Rock the Earth is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit, national public interest environmental advocacy organization, committed to protecting and defending America's natural resources through partnerships with the music industry and the worldwide environmental community. Rock the Earth represents those individuals and communities whose environment or natural surroundings are directly and adversely affected by the actions of others. Through partnerships with diverse musical artists such as Tom Petty, Bonnie Raitt, Jack Johnson, Dave Matthews, Michael Franti, Sheryl Crow and Bon Jovi, Rock the Earth educates and activates fans to pursue a vision of global sustainability and environmental responsibility. We will continue to honor those individuals we feel embody Rock the Earth's drive to Defend the Planet One Beat at a Time.

For more information about Rock the Earth, visit www.RockTheEarth.org
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Martians be warned...if you attack you have to take on PJ :mrgreen:
    Reading PA 2004
    Virginia Beach outside in the grass 2008
    Philly Spectrum night 2 2009
    New York MSG night 2 2010
    Montreal Bell Centre 2011
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    sweetness
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Thanks for posting! :thumbup:
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    very nice :D

that reminds me..i calculated my carbon footprint today
    a whopping 12.8 tons of CO2
    someone is not looking overly impressed :roll:
    in my defense stone, i didn't do the advanced calc cuz i didn't want to delve into that mountainous pile of bills ...its a long weekend after all....
    HOWEVER i should have gotten credit for NOT having a car (any more :roll: ) but there was no option for that on the calculator

Stone+Gossard.jpg
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855
    RFK Jr. is a professor at my school. Maybe we can have an award dinner there and invite PJ :D . Haha yea I wish.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    that's tyt. and remember a win for PJ is a win for the fans two. last time I checked we pay an obligatory premium on our tickets for charitable contrubitions. $2 or something like that.
  • Options
    that's tyt. and remember a win for PJ is a win for the fans two. last time I checked we pay an obligatory premium on our tickets for charitable contrubitions. $2 or something like that.
    a compliment for you is a compliment for us is a compliment for you
    :lol:
    peace,
    jo

"Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Wow, that is awesome! :clap: Kudos, guys!
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Leeze wrote:
    Wow, that is awesome! :clap: Kudos, guys!
    :thumbup:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    OwlOwl Posts: 1,062
    That's a pretty cool award!

yaaaay to our band! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I'm still waiting until they get the Craig's Radio Hall of Fame award, for PJ radio of course, The Rob and guest DJs like Brendan O'brien are in the running I believe :D
  • Options
    pdawards.jpg

Here is a pic of the award. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Congratulations Pearl Jam! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    Was so happy to read this from Rock The Earth today!

Great Job!!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Visual approximation of Pearl Jam defending the planet...
    Galaga.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Galaga.jpg
    :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Mikee JMikee J Posts: 1,323
    Post of awesomeness.. :D

Stone should get hos own award really...
    "My body's nobody's body but mine"
  • Options
    Galaga.jpg
    :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
    peace,
    jo

• Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    Awards are silly but this kind is not. This group of musicians do so much for so many causes it's nice to see them receive recognition for some of it. Well deserved Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    A well deserved award for a great cause. Congrats Pearl Jam :D
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,855
    Wink wrote:
    Awards are silly but this kind is not.

Agreed. I love when awards actually mean something.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    rizzdaddyrizzdaddy Posts: 262
    08-19-08 (Riverside Theater) Vedder(Solo) Milwaukee, WI
    07-02-11 (Orpheum Theatre) Vedder(Solo) Minneapolis, MN
  • Options
    what a great award to win! :clap: well done, just another example of why this band is so great :D

Galaga.jpg

:lol::lol:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    I would love to see something like this happen again. We need it more that ever (and I could use the motivation myself having felt very unhopeful as of late).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.