Options

A gift to me (Pearl Jam Related Story)

broken_joystickbroken_joystick Posts: 137
edited December 2007 in The Porch
For about a year or so, I worked in a mall in Oklahoma. Nothing exciting ever happened at this mall, but about 6 months into it, a new little booth got put up for about two weeks. In this booth, you could watch these amazing artists create sculptures and other pieces of one of a kind art, out of glass! The whole process just seemed amazing to me. I had the pleasure of talking to this couple, and became pretty good friends with them.

Well, a couple weeks came and gone, and we had to say goodbye..

My last month working at the mall, I'm in my store cleaning, getting ready to close, and who do I see walking through the mall? The same couple.. they told me that the next day, they would be back in the mall for about a month, same routine as before.. open to close, making sculptures out of glass.. you know the drill.

The next day I come into work, and they have their booth set up, all ready to go.. and for the next month we had been talking about Pearl Jam quite a bit. We traded a whole bunch of music and such, and became even closer friends than we had been before.

Well, the month end approached, and they're about to leave, and I'm about to leave my job as well.. before they left they handed me a box which contained the two most beautiful glass sculptures I have ever seen in my life..

(pictures kind of blurry, sorry!)

1.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    For about a year or so, I worked in a mall in Oklahoma. Nothing exciting ever happened at this mall, but about 6 months into it, a new little booth got put up for about a month. In this booth, you could watch these amazing artists create sculptures and other pieces of one of a kind art, of of glass! The whole process just seemed amazing to me. I had the pleasure of talking to this couple, and became pretty good friends with them.

Well, the month ended, and we had to say goodbye..

My last month working at the mall, I'm in my store cleaning, getting ready to close, and who do I see walking through the mall? The same couple.. they told me that the next day, they would be back in the mall for another month, same routine as before.. open to close, making sculptures out of glass.. you know the drill.

The next day I come into work, and they have their booth set up, all ready to go.. and for the next month we had been talking about Pearl Jam quite a bit. We traded a whole bunch of music and such, and became even closer friends than we had been before.

Well, the month ends, and they're about to leave, and I'm about to eave my job as well.. before they left they handed me a box which contained the two most beautiful glass sculptures I have ever seen in my life..

1.jpg

OMG! Those are REALLY COOL!!! :D WOW!!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,009
    OMG! Those are REALLY COOL!!! :D WOW!!
    I agree! Do you know how to contact these people?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    LukinFan wrote:

I KNOW! Seriously!! That would make a great present for a 10C fan. (Ah hem...those 10C friends of mine...I didn't mean for you...I meant, uh...in general.)
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    LukinFan wrote:

http://www.myspace.com/crystal_eclipse

:)
  • Options
    Very cool. :)
  • Options
    They are very amazing people. Truly genuine.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Cool story! Enjoy those, they are awesome. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    I am enjoying mine, he's the heart of my Pearl Jam collection :) The other was actually for my brother. Even though he had never met the couple before, they knew he was a big fan, and that he's the reason I started listening to them :)
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    very very cool. never get rid of them.
  • Options
    That's one of the coolest gifts, ever.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    mbangel10 wrote:
    That's one of the coolest gifts, ever.

I know! I was so thrilled when I found out that they liked Pearl Jam... big fans are few and far between out here :(
  • Options
    Kick ass!
    when you get confused just listen to the music play........

"You damn well can't lick the system,but you can sure give it a good fondeling."-sleazy estate man(Hugh Laurie on A bit of Fry and Laurie)

"Judas Priest on a two stroke moped!"(Stephen Fry)
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    wow those are really cool. thats awesome that they like PJ too.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I've gotten more of a response out of this than I thought I would lol

I'll be sure and tell them how much you guys liked their work :)
  • Options
    before they left they handed me a box which contained the two most beautiful glass sculptures I have ever seen in my life..

1.jpg

That's so fuckin badass!!!!!I want some!!!!
  • Options
    Those are freaking awesome!
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • Options
    more magic from the Jamily
    what a great group of people like this bands music
    PJ have a reason to feel proud.
    great story, Music brings people together
    LOVE IT
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    wow, It's a pretty cool story! These are truly unique pieces.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    edveddedvedd Posts: 152
    Sweet!
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    that is like sooooooooooooo totaly cooool
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Those are killer. Kinda looked like Pearl Jam martini glasses.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    For about a year or so, I worked in a mall in Oklahoma. Nothing exciting ever happened at this mall, but about 6 months into it, a new little booth got put up for about two weeks. In this booth, you could watch these amazing artists create sculptures and other pieces of one of a kind art, out of glass! The whole process just seemed amazing to me. I had the pleasure of talking to this couple, and became pretty good friends with them.

Well, a couple weeks came and gone, and we had to say goodbye..

My last month working at the mall, I'm in my store cleaning, getting ready to close, and who do I see walking through the mall? The same couple.. they told me that the next day, they would be back in the mall for about a month, same routine as before.. open to close, making sculptures out of glass.. you know the drill.

Well, the month end approached, and they're about to leave, and I'm about to leave my job as well.. before they left they handed me a box which contained the two most beautiful glass sculptures I have ever seen in my life..

1.jpg

that's awesome ! fucking sweet gift !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    wow! They are beautiful and priceless too because they were made for you by people who know what it means to you! Congrats!
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    could those be strung up as xmas tree orniments?
    one love

respect
  • Options
    hiding wrote:
    could those be strung up as xmas tree orniments?

Yeah, they definitely could be.. but, there's always hectic-ness going on around here, and didn't want it broken lol
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    very impressive, good for you.

they look so fragile.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    Those things freaking rule!!!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........