Options

David Foster Wallace

Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
edited November 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Who's a fan? Has anyone read Infinite Jest? Not sure if I could get through it.

His NY Times article on Roger Federer is probably my favorite piece of sports journalism ever. As is the Tracy Austin essay in Consider The Lobster (which is an incredible book).

Sad ending to his life. Curious if there are any other fans here and if you have any recommendations about other writing I should check out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I haven't read much from him but have always had a goal to read Infinite Jest. However, it seems like such a daunting task.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I read "Broom of the System"; it was an interesting read, but I was really angry at how he ended it. I will say that he was a very talented writer. I thought about tackling "Infinite Jest", but it seems way too daunting.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I must have missed this thread!

The brilliance and wonder that is "Infinite Jest" cannot be understated. Seriously, its THAT good.

It took me several months to read, but I'll be damned if I didn't have a smile on my face the entire time.

I liked "Broom of the System" a great deal, and am working on "Consider the Lobster" currently. Hilarious.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,605
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBk1Mrb4RyM

Not sure how I feel about this.