Options

The Republican Party

Comments

• Options

we can start by getting the fuck out of iraq and afghanistan and cutting the pentagon, homeland security, and military budgets...but all of those are sacred cows, the people in power on your side want to cut medicare, medicaid, unemployment, and welfare. does it strike you are utterly sad that we can not afford these programs to help the american citizens in tough times, but when the army needs another dozen tanks and humvees, and the air force needs another squadron of f-22s the money is always there to be had??

I agree with your ideas on cutting spending here, but the thing I don't get is it is BOTH Republicans and Democrats that will not cut that type of spending. Not sure why all of the blame is lumped on the Republicans for this. Partisan politics has us all fucked.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    this thread is not just about taxes.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

we can start by getting the fuck out of iraq and afghanistan and cutting the pentagon, homeland security, and military budgets...but all of those are sacred cows, the people in power on your side want to cut medicare, medicaid, unemployment, and welfare. does it strike you are utterly sad that we can not afford these programs to help the american citizens in tough times, but when the army needs another dozen tanks and humvees, and the air force needs another squadron of f-22s the money is always there to be had??

I agree with your ideas on cutting spending here, but the thing I don't get is it is BOTH Republicans and Democrats that will not cut that type of spending. Not sure why all of the blame is lumped on the Republicans for this. Partisan politics has us all fucked.
    because the dems have tried to draw down. they can not go in and say "we are cutting all of this military spending" because the republicans, like little children, will pile on and say that "the dems hate america" and that "the dems are soft on terrorism" or whatever slogan they will roll out when the time comes. budget bills have to have bipartisan support. how can anything change when one side refuses to even negotiate? the republicans have used every procedural trick in the book and refused to negotiate or outright blocked debate and votes on nearly every debate this session. you can not tell me that that is a good thing and that it is not the republicans who have crippled the congress.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The thread isn't, but the recent discussion has been about taxes. My point was that the only thing that is certain is that either the entire populous or 10 million people are going to pay more money to the government if a compromise is not reached. And it seems as though when the tax issue is debated, other things like education, abortion, small business, and other hot-topic issues get thrown around instead of focusing on our government trying to take more money from us.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    If you think the Democrats care about the people, you're fooling yourself. They've passed several pieces of grossly unpopular legislation, defying the will of the people, defying the Constitution.

But then again, I guess they know what's better for me than I do, right?

you did read the part where i said ... both sides of the political establishment has led to this right?
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    The thread isn't, but the recent discussion has been about taxes. My point was that the only thing that is certain is that either the entire populous or 10 million people are going to pay more money to the government if a compromise is not reached. And it seems as though when the tax issue is debated, other things like education, abortion, small business, and other hot-topic issues get thrown around instead of focusing on our government trying to take more money from us.
    you view it as "taking money away from us". i view it as "paying into the system". there is a big difference there. as a citizen of this country it is my duty to pay taxes. it is your duty as well.

here is an idea, why not just do away with taxes? it seems that some people in this country are advocating that.

• Options

because the dems have tried to draw down. they can not go in and say "we are cutting all of this military spending" because the republicans, like little children, will pile on and say that "the dems hate america" and that "the dems are soft on terrorism" or whatever slogan they will roll out when the time comes. budget bills have to have bipartisan support. how can anything change when one side refuses to even negotiate? the republicans have used every procedural trick in the book and refused to negotiate or outright blocked debate and votes on nearly every debate this session. you can not tell me that that is a good thing and that it is not the republicans who have crippled the congress.

I don't think the Democrats are completely honest with their intentions of getting out of the middle east. Just look at all the continued Bush policies that the Obama administration allows. You'll be hard pressed to convince me that all these oppressive policies are maintained and extended purely because of pressure by Republicans. Things like the Patriot Act and FISA are supported by many democrats without any pressure by the Republicans required. How does this all apply to their intentions to cutting spending? It indirectly displays how the Democrats do agree with Republican positions and in some cases even build on them without any pressure by the Republicans at all.

You are right, though, they want to draw down, but drawing down to only a certain amount of troops stationed over there is still an expense we shouldn't be making. I digress, though, the Republicans do make it difficult to even draw down so I understand the problem there...like I said, Partisan Politics has us all fucked.

However, that's the only thing I'm aware of that the Democrats have attempted as far as your suggestions for spending cuts go. I haven't heard about them supporting anything to do with the Pentagon or Homeland Security cuts. If you have information to the contrary I'd be interested in reading it.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    you view it as "taking money away from us". i view it as "paying into the system". there is a big difference there. as a citizen of this country it is my duty to pay taxes. it is your duty as well.

here is an idea, why not just do away with taxes? it seems that some people in this country are advocating that.
    I already pay into the system, thus fulfilling my duty. It's a considerable amount. I wont sit around with my shoulders shrugged as they try to take more.

And what about the people who are being subsidized by the government? They are also citizens, so why isn't it their duty to pay into the system as well? I imagine that an argument could be that the system failed these people. If that logic holds true, then we have a broken system . . . so why pump more money into it until steps are made internally to fix the system?
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    You want out of both wars?

Ron Paul 2012. That is your solution.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    I already pay into the system, thus fulfilling my duty. It's a considerable amount. I wont sit around with my shoulders shrugged as they try to take more.

And what about the people who are being subsidized by the government? They are also citizens, so why isn't it their duty to pay into the system as well? I imagine that an argument could be that the system failed these people. If that logic holds true, then we have a broken system . . . so why pump more money into it until steps are made internally to fix the system?

why don't they pay into the system? because they have nothing to pay. some things you have to let go. that is like playing one on one with a handicapped kid and calling him for double dribble. sometimes you have to let some things slide.

your attitude in your post says to me yes just screw the less fortunate so you don't have to pay a few hundred more in taxes a year..."no fair!!!"
    they don't pay much in taxes, so why should the rest of us, right? that is something i can get behind... :roll: they should go out and get themselves a job. well you know what? minimum wage jobs for uneducated and unskilled workers still pay a salary below the poverty level, so yes the system is screwed.

how often to you interact with poor people and how many would you say that you know? i am talking about working poor, those on medicaid, or those on disability medicare and medicaid. those that are on welfare so it holds up the check out line at the grocery store with the multiple transactions? you know, those people.. i deal with many many everyday in my job, since we are the only orthopedic physician's office in a 30 mile radius that takes medicaid and other forms of public aid.

this is where the all about me vs all about we argument stems from, and i know you guys hate that one, so i am not gonna play that card, even though this thread is about the republican party....how many of those republicans have reached out to those in need other than on the campaign trail? then when elected they treat them like dirt because the poor can not help contribute to the campaign coffers.

• Options
    unsung wrote:
    You want out of both wars?

Ron Paul 2012. That is your solution.
    it has already been established that the president alone can not change things on his own. look at obama and the gop. "NO NO NO NO NO!!!!"...i guarantee it will be the same thing with the dems and even some republicans if paul wins. one man will not change everything. never has, never will. it takes an agreeable congress to do anything.

• Options
    Jason P wrote:

your attitude in your post says to me yes just screw the less fortunate so you don't have to pay a few hundred more in taxes a year..."no fair!!!"
    they don't pay much in taxes, so why should the rest of us, right? that is something i can get behind... :roll: they should go out and get themselves a job. well you know what? minimum wage jobs for uneducated and unskilled workers still pay a salary below the poverty level, so yes the system is screwed.
    I think you misunderstood my intentions . . . my attitude is to treat everyone fairly and equally, whether they are poor or rich. I want every American to stay at the current tax level. And I would be ten times more upset if the rich were the only group that stayed at the current tax level.

My main point is that the government needs to cut wasteful programs, redirect resources away from the military, and basically get their shit together and gain trust from the American people before demanding more money from us.

As for who I interact with, it is either poor or middle class. I would consider it a Keystone Light type of crowd.
  • Options
    The Obama agenda is, and always has been, to undermine our way of living. He has nothing but contempt for this nation and this people.

I don't usually like to insult people, and I should point out that I've been known to agree with Electric_Delta before, but this is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Just because a politician has a different idea about how to improve the country than you do doesn't mean he has contempt for the nation.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    The Obama agenda is, and always has been, to undermine our way of living. He has nothing but contempt for this nation and this people.

I don't usually like to insult people, and I should point out that I've been known to agree with Electric_Delta before, but this is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

Just because a politician has a different idea about how to improve the country than you do doesn't mean he has contempt for the nation.

I think what he's saying is that pushing through universal healthcare so that everyone can receive medical help, regardless of how much money they have in the bank, constitutes 'defying the will of the peole'. I think the word 'people' here refers to those uninformed yahoo's who follow the Tea Party. Though I could be wrong.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    you have all been trained like dogs
    except for gimme and a few others
    to support a 2-party system
    when each side is a cash-whore
    with media-driven elections
    there is only one goal in this system
    to keep 95% of all wealth
    in 2% of the people's pockets
    and people just keep voting
    thinking they can change this
    wage slavery at it's finest
    what is the quote that goes something like
    -the best slave is one that doesn't even know they are a slave-
    was it zinn?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    So many people in America vote Republican...many claiming because they dislike the government running things and prefer a free market...yes, that can be good, but not if the people running the 'free market' are the top 2% of the country!!! Why do so many people not see this???? :roll:

I don't think either side is perfect and never will be...that's the nature of politics but when I voted to take a pay freeze as a teacher to help the school community, it was very hard to see the bankers, lawyers and Wall street people, whose kids I teach, be thankful they didn't have to give up their vacation homes due to the harder times. (The teachers saved a huge increase in property taxes). I happen to love a lot of the peole in the community, but it serves as a way to demonstrate how the wealthy seem to have more support in hard times.
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    I'm sure there is a reason Byrnzie started this thread, but of COURSE it's bound to become a typical us vs. them pissing match between republicans and democrats.

ONE system; these guys are all on one side and that is to continue being paid big bucks and keep their jobs as career politicians. Not to make the country any better for the people. Republicans just happen to be more obvious with their greed.
  • Options
    ed243421 wrote:
    oh wait, you're serious.

let me laugh even harder.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633
    ed243421 wrote:
    oh wait, you're serious.

laughter is awesome

am i missing something?
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    ed243421 wrote:
    was it zinn?

The trouble with a democracy comes when there is not much choice on whom to vote into power...but it makes people think they have a choice therefore blinding most of them to the problem. Can anyone name a perfect system over history? I doubt it. Is there one that was truly for the people? Hmmm? We need a government and therefore we do the best we can to ignore the fact we don't have any chance of making a change unless we start getting off our fat arses and doing something about it....remember it has happened...but when it did, people made it happen. Now we all just complain.
  • Options
    ed243421 wrote:
    ed243421 wrote:
    oh wait, you're serious.

laughter is awesome

am i missing something?
    apparently that was a shot at me....

whatever...no comment on the context of the thread, yet an attack on what i believe,,,,more anti american rhetoric from someone who lives 14 time zones away....

• Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    Jason P wrote:
    The way that both the democrats and the republicans are handling the tax issue is borderline retarded. The government has been operating without this extra tax money for over a decade. I doubt they will operate more efficiently and I doubt we as American citizens will see any physical improvements if the tax increase hits any segment of the population. They are already spending more then they take in and this potential tax increase will give them more incentive to spend.

I don't care how much you make, no one should be forced to give more of their hard-earned money to this circus. If there is anything we should all be united on, stopping tax increases should be it. If you are in favor of giving more of your money to the government, do it by donation please and leave me out of the fray.

You are completely oblivious to the fact that states are broke, that cities and counties are laying off police and fire. It is time to wake the fuck up. If we were running a surplus your moronic ideal of everyone keeps their money might be worth a fraction of a second of a thought, but that is not the reality we are facing. I suggest you read up on the coming disaster of the world default and come back with something more substantial than, rich people should be able to keep their money.
  • Options
    SolarWorldSolarWorld Posts: 1,902
    ed243421 wrote:
    was it zinn?

At this point it wouldn't matter if there were two parties or four. The banks are in charge and until that changes it doesn't matter what stupid party is in power. This is beyond politics. The corrupt need cleansing and the system needs a reset. Who's ready for that? Are you Mr. Judgmental?
  • Options
    ed243421 wrote:
    oh wait, you're serious.

laughter is awesome

am i missing something?

whatever...no comment on the context of the thread, yet an attack on what i believe,,,,more anti american rhetoric from someone who lives 14 time zones away....
    actually it wasn't. it was a futurama quote and it was directed at the 'few others comments"

there are more than a few that don't support a two party system.

as for the anti-american rhetoric. LOL.
  • Options
    oh wait, you're serious.

laughter is awesome

am i missing something?[/quote]

whatever...no comment on the context of the thread, yet an attack on what i believe,,,,more anti american rhetoric from someone who lives 14 time zones away....[/quote]

What hope is there for the world when even we can't get along?

The more I think about it, the more disgusted and despairing i am of the human race.

Sometimes I wish I could go to sleep to find that this reality was actually the dream all along. That other place just seems so much more inviting at times.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    What hope is there for the world when even we can't get along?

The more I think about it, the more disgusted and despairing i am of the human race.

Sometimes I wish I could go to sleep to find that this reality was actually the dream all along. That other place just seems so much more inviting at times.

there's really been some great people posting here over the last few years that i've learnt so much from.

i'm not so big on the name calling that goes on. the underhanded comments of extremist, anti american and anti semitic are not cool but at the end of the day people can think what they like. i'm not gonna lose sleep over it. my family and loved ones know it's not true, my jewish friends who like me are fighting for a fair and just peace for both Israelis and Palestinians know it's not true. at the end of the day that's all i care about.

i wonder what the ''experts here" would do if they had fought for something for so long and nothing seemed to be really changing. would you get more desperate, more outpoken, more forceful with your opinions? how many times can you say please stop, i don't like what you are doing. after the hundredth time would you still be saying please stop i don''t like what you are doing in a nice calm voice? really? well i guess you're a better person than i'll ever be if the answer is yes. if you had friends or family members who were subjected to what the Palestinian children are or if they were your kids i wonder how you would act after years of fighting for their rights while their situation becomes more desperate every day?

being outspoken doesn't make you many friends, i've realized that and i'm ok with that. still, i'm never gonna be one that goes with the flow just to be popular. one day you just think to hell with it all and don't come back. you realize you don't have to put up with all the crap. that's where i'm at. i used to enjoy posting here.

i don't anymore.
  • Options
    what does a thread about the republican party have to do with israel/palestine?

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Byrnzie wrote:

Stop thinking about it then.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:

Stop thinking about it then.

That's not a bad idea.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

being outspoken doesn't make you many friends, i've realized that and i'm ok with that.

Quoted for truth.