Options

Yield: the happiest album in the Pearl Jam catalogue?

NoonieNoonie Posts: 93
edited January 2008 in The Porch
I have been listening to Yield almost exclusively for a week now, and I have to say, though it's been 10 years (!!) it never really occurred to me that unlike every other PJ album, there is not a single sad song in this one.

It's not that it's light and fluffy or anything, it's just so much more... hopeful, I guess, than anything else they ever released.
The ballads are calm and introspective, and the rockers are mostly having a good time. Even the only really dark song (DTE) is kind of tongue in cheek.

The usual themes of depression, mourning and anger are almost nowhere to be found here- Quite the opposite actually. The whole album to me is like the sound of coming to terms with yourself. Like the light at the end of a tunnel is an endless open road.

Oh, and the music is awesome.

I think it's my favorite right now.
My rhymes and records they don't get played
Because my records and rhymes they don't get made
And if you rap like me you don't get paid
And if you roll like me you don't get laid.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i can't say you're wrong.
  • Options
    Lyrically, yes.

I think musically, though, Avocado has to be their lightest and happiest record, imo. It's almost pop music. Shouldn't be, but it is.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I always viewed No Code as the cultural album.
    and Yield as the spiritual album.

Happiest?/?/? IDK???
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    not sure about happiest, but it's their warmest by far.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    they should make more happy albums then.
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    I think musically, though, Avocado has to be their lightest and happiest record, imo.

I don't. Listen to the last five songs. Gone sounds depressing for the most part, like I'm about to shoot myself. Wasted Reprise doesn't sound happy. Army Reserve sounds like I'm sinking on a boat, and not happy. Come Backs sounds like somebody died. And Inside job...the first three minutes are the three most depressing minutes in the history of Pearl Jam albums.

In closing, I agree with the original poster.
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Noonie wrote:
    unlike every other PJ album, there is not a single sad song in this one.
    Low Light
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Low Light

Low Light is supposed to be hopeful, at least going by Jeff's explanation of why he wrote it.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    Here's what each is to me:
    Ten= Rage/angst
    VS.= growing up
    Vitalogy= rebellion
    No Code= culturally open
    Yield= Optimism
    Binaural= Art of making music (conceptual perhaps?)
    Riot Act= Political
    Avacado= Global Concern
    "A compiment for US...is a compliment for YOU." - Eddie Vedder of Citizen Dick
  • Options
    Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    I don't know, but Given To Fly is quite powerful in an upbeat, inspirational way. And I do agree, Self-Titled gets pretty dark near the end there.
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    Noonie wrote:
    I have been listening to Yield almost exclusively for a week now, and I have to say, though it's been 10 years (!!) it never really occurred to me that unlike every other PJ album, there is not a single sad song in this one.

It's not that it's light and fluffy or anything, it's just so much more... hopeful, I guess, than anything else they ever released.
    The ballads are calm and introspective, and the rockers are mostly having a good time. Even the only really dark song (DTE) is kind of tongue in cheek.

The usual themes of depression, mourning and anger are almost nowhere to be found here- Quite the opposite actually. The whole album to me is like the sound of coming to terms with yourself. Like the light at the end of a tunnel is an endless open road.

Oh, and the music is awesome.

I think it's my favorite right now.

its my favourite of all time!
    danny d
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    Low Light is supposed to be hopeful, at least going by Jeff's explanation of why he wrote it.

Yeah, but does it sound like a happy song, in ANY way? Not so much...
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    yield just makes me feel so good about myself. my favorite album of all time. there's just something special lurking in that music. it all flows so well. on a nice sunny day there is nothing better than kicking back and blearing yield right through. actually headphones are always better. once i listen to that album through i am on top of the world. between in hiding, given to fly, and low light, ahhh man, chills just thinking about it.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    Yeah, but does it sound like a happy song, in ANY way? Not so much...

Well, I don't think it sounds sad or depressing. I think I would describe it as reflective. Here's Jeff's explanation, by the way:

I think "Pilate" was the question I was asking myself, and "Low Light " was the answer, the realization. Have you ever read ''The Master and Margarita'' (by Mikhail Bulgakov)? I just read that book, and at the end they talk about Pontius Pilate being all alone on a mountain with his dog. He couldn't sleep and he couldn't function. It really struck me hard, because at that point I was feeling very alone. I've always had this recurring dream about being old and just me and my dog sitting on the porch. It wasn't necessarily a sad dream or a premonition, but it did get me to thinking about why Pilate was so alone and freaked out. Then I realized he didn't get to finish his conversation with Jesus—that's why he can't function, because he didn't tie up the loose ends in his life. Later, I was playing the guitar, and I was hit so hard by this amazing, emotion. In that moment the words "low light" came out, and somehow those were the only words to explain what I was feeling. It was a kind of gratefulness at finding that place of calm and peace at my center and getting a glimpse of the person I could choose to be. It was the purest happiness that I've experienced in a long time, that particular emotion. God, I thought I was going to explode. I feel very lucky to have been able to put it down on tape that morning and work through it until it became a song.

Source: http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/gw0398.shtml
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    I've always considered it pretty up-beat. Even the artwork inside was upbeat, I always think of that picture of Stone and Mike standing on what looked like a race track or something, and one of them is holding their arms out, looking to the sky, and I think smiling.

I always thought the happiest song was MFC, maybe not lyrically, but the music is so uplifting.
  • Options
    Well, I don't think it sounds sad or depressing. I think I would describe it as reflective. Here's Jeff's explanation, by the way:

I think "Pilate" was the question I was asking myself, and "Low Light " was the answer, the realization. Have you ever read ''The Master and Margarita'' (by Mikhail Bulgakov)? I just read that book, and at the end they talk about Pontius Pilate being all alone on a mountain with his dog. He couldn't sleep and he couldn't function. It really struck me hard, because at that point I was feeling very alone. I've always had this recurring dream about being old and just me and my dog sitting on the porch. It wasn't necessarily a sad dream or a premonition, but it did get me to thinking about why Pilate was so alone and freaked out. Then I realized he didn't get to finish his conversation with Jesus—that's why he can't function, because he didn't tie up the loose ends in his life. Later, I was playing the guitar, and I was hit so hard by this amazing, emotion. In that moment the words "low light" came out, and somehow those were the only words to explain what I was feeling. It was a kind of gratefulness at finding that place of calm and peace at my center and getting a glimpse of the person I could choose to be. It was the purest happiness that I've experienced in a long time, that particular emotion. God, I thought I was going to explode. I feel very lucky to have been able to put it down on tape that morning and work through it until it became a song.

Source: http://www.fivehorizons.com/archive/articles/gw0398.shtml

thanks that was a great read.
  • Options
    Jeff's a legend.....

Low Light is such a subtle and pretty song, it makes me happy, Ed's voice sounds so warm and the band so restrained.....just beautiful.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    Anyone else remember the first time they heard Given To Fly? I remember dancing around the room when it came on the radio - the chorus just absolutely floored me. The single most brilliant uplifting song I have ever heard!

So yeah, anyway I totally agree it is a very positive feeling album.
  • Options
    Anyone else remember the first time they heard Given To Fly? the chorus just absolutely floored me. The single most brilliant uplifting song I have ever heard!

Totally....

It was the first Pearl Jam song I ever heard, Yield my first PJ album....

My most sacred album and still my favourite......
  • Options
    heyjoseheyjose Melbourne, Australia Posts: 503
    the beauty of wishlist and low light, the power of given to fly and in hiding, the spirit of mfc.. yep, yield is definitely the most magical, uplifting album in the catalogue.
    1995: Melbourne 1
    1998: Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2003: Sydney 1, 2, 3, Melbourne 1, 2, 3
    2006: Sydney 1, 2, Melbourne 1, 2, 3, Sydney 3, Newcastle, Adelaide 1, 2, Perth
    2009: LA 1, 2, Melbourne, Sydney
    2014: Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney

• Options
    In Hiding is not "happy"
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Dirty Hank wrote:
    Here's what each is to me:
    Ten= Rage/angst
    VS.= growing up
    Vitalogy= rebellion
    No Code= culturally open
    Yield= Optimism
    Binaural= Art of making music (conceptual perhaps?)
    Riot Act= Political
    Avacado= Global Concern
    Yield=resolution
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Yeild is my favorite..and think it may go down as their best work.

....and the freakin most awesomest part....we have SVT to go along with it....wow...magical, powerful.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    Anyone else remember the first time they heard Given To Fly? I remember dancing around the room when it came on the radio - the chorus just absolutely floored me. The single most brilliant uplifting song I have ever heard!

So yeah, anyway I totally agree it is a very positive feeling album.

Great thread with the 10th Anniversary of YIELD coming out.

The first time I heard GTF was when the YIELD commercial came on MTV at like 2-3am. It was a life-changing moment for me, musically.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_PKg4MI-5A
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    I've never seen that commercial.
  • Options
    RockKingRockKing Posts: 431
    Back in the day, when the YIELD thread was around, there was a lot of discussion about this. I don't think 'happy' is the right way to describe YIELD. It is neither happy nor sad. It's urgent. It's important. It's a guideline to how to overcome the external conflicts in our life. It's a wonderful feeling when you listen to it and break it down track by track and realize the lessons that are contained within in, but the reason why I don't think it is inherently 'happy' is because in order to be ready to overcome these forces, you must first YIELD to all those negative forces....and giving way and learning to first accept what those forces mean to you can be a scary feeling, and YIELD deals with all of those emotions. I find YIELD to be more of a certain shade of grey, becasue for all the white, there's black behind it all.
    --"I'm like an opening band for the sun"

--"We’re taking pills to get along with life… the pills are YIELD and PJ’s music. Then we create words to call our own = our analysis of YIELD." - YIH
  • Options
    grungehead wrote:
    In Hiding is not "happy"

true, but it has an uplifting vibe to it.

i think yield = reflection.
    being content with who you are, and looking back on your life, thoughts, beliefs and expressing it through music. that gives it the very uplifting, hopeful and spiritual vibe. maybe all your necassary life changes haven't been made yet, but you know you can do it.
  • Options
    I love Yield!! It probably is my all time favorite album.
    "I am the first mammal to wear pants....yeah"
    6/95 -SF, CA.
    11/95 -SJ, CA.
    7/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    10/25/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    7/9/06 -LA, CA.
    7/15/06 -SF, CA.
    7/17/06 -SF, CA.
    10/22/06 -Mt. View, CA.
    12/9/06 -Honolulu, HI
    Eddie!-SC, CA. 4/5/08
    Eddie!-Berkeley. 4/7/08
    6/28/08- Mansfield, MA.
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    sometimes i think no code and yield might well have been a double album.
    sure there's differences, but the individual souls of those two albums have always contained a mutual thread as far as i'm concerned. more so than any other 2 albums they've released.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    RockKing wrote:
    Back in the day, when the YIELD thread was around, there was a lot of discussion about this. I don't think 'happy' is the right way to describe YIELD. It is neither happy nor sad. It's urgent. It's important. It's a guideline to how to overcome the external conflicts in our life. It's a wonderful feeling when you listen to it and break it down track by track and realize the lessons that are contained within in, but the reason why I don't think it is inherently 'happy' is because in order to be ready to overcome these forces, you must first YIELD to all those negative forces....and giving way and learning to first accept what those forces mean to you can be a scary feeling, and YIELD deals with all of those emotions. I find YIELD to be more of a certain shade of grey, because for all the white, there's black behind it all.

Great post RK.

There is optimism...but there must be action in order for that optimism to come to fruition.

On the flip side, I've made that argument (and it's just a theory) that there is a negative element to this album..."a warning side on the road ahead"...quite literally, if you will.

I miss our discussion of YIELD and I hope with the 10th anniversary of it's release on the way that more in depth conversations spring up.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org