edited November 2010 in A Moving Train
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/2010/ ... f-comments

Demo 2010 student protests - live coverage

• 32 arrested as protesters occupy Conservative HQ
• Police and protesters injured as tensions mount
• Bonfire started outside Millbank on the Thames
• NUS estimate 52,000 protesters in the capital

It's kicking off.

Edit: It's fizzled out but there are reports that police are "kettling" protesters still inside 30 Millbank.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    I think it's good that some people are protesting this issue of "tuition increase" early.

Over here, tuition for private universities has been going up for a long time and no one ever tried to protest the trend. (Probably because it's starting to be viewed as a product that people can choose to purchase or not to purchase.) Yet it really solidifies the division between which people have lots of choices and which people have only a few options for education. :?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I know it might sound stupid, but I was actually quite pleased that students were getting all fired up about something. It doesn't seem to happen much these days.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    justam wrote:
    I think it's good that some people are protesting this issue of "tuition increase" early.

Over here, tuition for private universities has been going up for a long time and no one ever tried to protest the trend. (Probably because it's starting to be viewed as a product that people can choose to purchase or not to purchase.) Yet it really solidifies the division between which people have lots of choices and which people have only a few options for education. :?
    it used to be really easy to qualify for loans and financial aid for universtiy studies in the us. i am not sure about GB, but if the cost of tuition keeps rising, students would have to borrow more money, accrue more debt, and be in a major debt hole right out of school. and if costs keep rising, more people will not qulify for the loans or financial aid.

i am glad that the yound are getting angry about something as well.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    About time the English showed some balls.

Hopefully this will be just the beginning.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i miss bonfires.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Byrnzie wrote:
    About time the English showed some balls.

Hopefully this will be just the beginning.

It IS about time. This 'stiff upper lip', 'take it on the chin' british attitude drives me nuts.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the main problem ... similar to the anti-globalization protests is that the general public are always fixated on the violence ... which they then use to ignore the message ...