Options

Happy Anniversary!

mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
edited October 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Well, it's 20 years tonight. What a juggernaut of a live band, nice to see them hold it together this long. I can tell everyone here that I wouldn't probably be playing guitar today if it wasn't for the show June 20, 1998 in Missoula, MT. Consequently, that remains the largest concert (crowd-size) in Montana state history. Once I got back from that show, I started talking to two friends who'd also gone to the show, and we started our first band two months later. So I offer my personal thanks to the band for every show they've ever played, every person who they inspired and saved with their lyrics, every band that was directly inspired by them (okay, except for Creed). Another 6 years, and we'll be talking Rock HoF.

I've had the honor of standing on the stage with PJ's gear, to touch some pieces and talk to some of the instrument techs. I've even had a chance to meet 3 members. I've seen them 9 times. I've played their songs live (including Yellow Ledbetter and RVM to close my first concert performance ever), I've recorded covers, and I can fake my way through about 100 of their songs. And I'm proud to be a fan of this band, who does everything the way I think I would if I was in a band at their level. They treat their fans right, they put music before theatrics, and they are just genuinely nice guys.

Last of all, thanks to everyone here who I've met because of this band. Too many to name individuals, but Greg and Paul and Rob and Bob all deserve a shout. Here's to another 20 years, eh?
...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Here Here! While not inspiring me to start playing, definitely inspired me to become a better player shortly after I started playing, and the reason I play a sunburst/rosewood strat!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i still remember buying a copy of Ten on a high school trip when i was 15. and i remember watching the first SNL in awe.

i owe my playing guitar to kurt cobain and i don't think i ever covered PJ directly live (but did record a couple for fun) but i did cover lots of songs because PJ covered them.

got to see them twice (once from the second row, thanks reena!!) and once in a great outdoor setting.

20 years. we're getting old.
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    exhausted wrote:
    20 years. we're getting old.

Damn, you're right. Why did you have to remind me!??? :shock:
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    i owe my playing guitar to kurt cobain and i don't think i ever covered PJ directly live (but did record a couple for fun) but i did cover lots of songs because PJ covered them.

Same here. They sure helped me discover a whole lot of great music beside their own.
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Not to detract from the vast library of songs they have written, BUT...

I maintain that Pearl Jam's single greatest live performance ever was their cover of "The Real Me" at VH1's Rock Honors for The Who. Doggamn, that was awesome.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    savmansavman Posts: 230
    i'll drink to that!

Happy anniversary lads!!! :D
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    happy anniversary! and thanks to everyone here for their tips & encouragement! here's to another 20 years!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    I'm not sure if 20 years makes me feel old or not! Just kidding. Wow it's really been 20 years. 17 shows, plus two E.V. solo performances in Nashville, which were absolutely amazing. Including Grand Rapids 2nd row back in 2006.

I agree The Real Me is the single greatest live performance every. That absolutely blew me away. I'm not sure I can say they influenced me to start playing (A friend of mine I worked with, did, just watching him play), but it had something to do with a possible style down the road, and the love for P-Bass's.

They really opened me up to a lot of other music, just in opening bands that I've dug over the years. The Buzzcocks, Idlewild, Supergrass to name a few.

Such a great experience so far. And to many more years. I actually look forward to the day where they drop the electrics and pick up the acoustics and do acoustic sit down shows...
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    I agree The Real Me is the single greatest live performance every. That absolutely blew me away. I'm not sure I can say they influenced me to start playing (A friend of mine I worked with, did, just watching him play), but it had something to do with a possible style down the road, and the love for P-Bass's.

While PJ/The Real Me didn't influence me to start playing (I've already been playing bass on/off for 15 years), I can say that I definintely have a greater appreciation for Ament's abilities...that's a killer bass line in that song.
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?