Options

Book Burning in the 21st Century

kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
edited September 2010 in A Moving Train
Today, book burning is just a silly way to say "fuck you" to the author(s) and fans/followers of whatever book you might set fire to. Years ago, it actually meant something, man. Because you could burn all of the books in your community, or even in your country. You could completely wipe out ideas opposing ideas. In the 21st century, the internet has brought us the indestructible idea. A shit ton of it, actually.

I've never burned a book. I think, though, it might be fun to burn some books, for, like, an hour. I wonder how it would feel if I burned one of my favorite books. Let's go with Brave New World. That would be strange, because it warned about the dangers of too much information... and that makes me think... what if we burned a copy of every book we could find? What if we just said "Fuck you" to all of the ideas, wise and unwise (and who's to say what is what?), that we as a species have ever come up with??

Maybe it would be cathartic if we for once all of us monkeys just stopped taking ourselves so fucking seriously???

Burn it all, baby!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    tbh book burning never meant anything but ignorance.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

It would have meant a whole lot to a whole lot of people if it had actually happened, no?
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:

It would have meant a whole lot to a whole lot of people if it had actually happened, no?

it only has the meaning given to it. if we ignore the fools who want to make a statement about whatever by burning books, their 'statement' becomes meaningless.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    If it's cool to burn books again, we should be allowed to burn witches at the stake again.. If we're going to pick a century to go back to, let's be clear about it.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:

it only has the meaning given to it. if we ignore the fools who want to make a statement about whatever by burning books, their 'statement' becomes meaningless.

ignore fools! haha, if only they would let us!

but otherwise, I totally agree.

and it was ridiculous for the media not to ignore such a tiny group of fools.

hopefully, we can forget about this pastor, and not let his name spoil the good Terry Jones.
    220px-Terry_Jones.jpg
    there's too many of the evil one showing up in Google image search.
  • Options
    If it's cool to burn books again, we should be allowed to burn witches at the stake again.. If we're going to pick a century to go back to, let's be clear about it.

umm no. burning people accused of being witches is different than burning paper bound within a cover, though they both come from a place of fear and ignorance.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

umm no. burning people accused of being witches is different than burning paper bound within a cover, though they both come from a place of fear and ignorance.

plus, burning books smells a lot nicer.
  • Options
    though they both come from a place of fear and ignorance.
    My point exactly, with a little bit of shock value thrown in. ;)
  • Options
    it only has the meaning given to it. if we ignore the fools who want to make a statement about whatever by burning books, their 'statement' becomes meaningless.[/quote]

ignore fools! haha, if only they would let us!

but otherwise, I totally agree.

and it was ridiculous for the media not to ignore such a tiny group of fools.

hopefully, we can forget about this pastor, and not let his name spoil the good Terry Jones.
    220px-Terry_Jones.jpg
    there's too many of the evil one showing up in Google image search.[/quote]

Hes not terry jones
    He just a very naughty boy
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • Options
    Hes not terry jones
    He just a very naughty boy

precisely! :thumbup: