Options

Matt Cameron disses Stone Temple Pilots

Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
edited September 2010 in The Porch
From the Spin article on Soundgarden

Cameron picks up a copy of Billboard with another recently reunited iconic '90s-era outfit, Stone Temple Pilots, on the cover. "These guys are just painful," he says.

http://i52.tinypic.com/rbwn0o.jpg

The rest of the Spin article was already posted on their site by the way
“Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,772
    Hey speaking of which, anyone know when the new season of Gossip Girl starts?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    This sounds pretty out of character for Matt Cameron, at least from following his career with Pearl Jam over the last 12 years.

In any event, I think that quote pretty describes it though. I love their early stuff, from Core to No. 4, but the new album is painfully bland, and their tour is so wild, with drunken fits, allegations of lip synching, forgetting song lines, etc., it makes Van Halen reunions seem timid and friendly. Even if he was a fan of STP, I imagine he could find their reunion painful.
  • Options
    JL19851 wrote:
    This sounds pretty out of character for Matt Cameron, at least from following his career with Pearl Jam over the last 12 years.

In any event, I think that quote pretty describes it though. I love their early stuff, from Core to No. 4, but the new album is painfully bland, and their tour is so wild, with drunken fits, allegations of lip synching, forgetting song lines, etc., it makes Van Halen reunions seem timid and friendly. Even if he was a fan of STP, I imagine he could find their reunion painful.

i agree. i saw STP back in March and it was different than the last time i saw them. the old tunes sounded good but the new stuff was mediocre and the crowd was mostly druken rednecks. the crowd had a much more negative vibe than in the past.
    "Can't fuckin' Twitter, hate that shit" - EV
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Hey Matt, can you please forward some of that painful distaste towards Scream. I like how they danced around that in the article.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 714
    Cameron seems to have a non-kiss ass attitude. which is kinda funny. He said something about not wanting to end up like the rolling stones once. Which is kind of a diss on the rolling stones.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Matt is right STP is like a train wreck . the only reason why anyone pays any attention to them at all . :lol::lol:
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Soundgarden has alotta catchin up with STP as far as their reunions go. STP is/was just the better band.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    they were a great band and the Dileos are very talented
    but they are not what they used to be-unfortunately
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,291
    Matt! You're better than that. There are a lot worse bands to pick on than STP.
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    I'm just glad that this is in the article about Soundgarden. ;) PJ is usually above this. Except you are Good Charlotte. Anyway, Matt kinda speaks his mind, from what I've seen in his interviews.
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144
    I went to a Scott Weilend solo show in NYC a couple of years ago and it was a complete disaster. He was late, sounded like sh*t, couldn't understad any of the lyrics, and I'm pretty sure his nose was bleeding. Par for the course.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Ok wrote:
    I went to a Scott Weilend solo show in NYC a couple of years ago and it was a complete disaster. He was late, sounded like sh*t, couldn't understad any of the lyrics, and I'm pretty sure his nose was bleeding. Par for the course.

Bet his singin was better than Cornell's.
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    DewieCox wrote:
    Soundgarden has alotta catchin up with STP as far as their reunions go. STP is/was just the better band.

'cough'
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    mr bungle wrote:
    Matt! You're better than that. There are a lot worse bands to pick on than STP.

Yeah, but it's pretty clear STP and SG have a rocky history.

Either way, I was never really a fan of STP. Don't they mostly just play fairs and local festivals now?
  • Options
    Hawk123Hawk123 Posts: 2,005
    I like going to shows where the singer actually sings the songs:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/gen ... racks.html
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Hawk123 wrote:

:lol: Way to go Weiland!
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    gecko wrote:
    I'm just glad that this is in the article about Soundgarden. ;) PJ is usually above this. Except you are Good Charlotte. Anyway, Matt kinda speaks his mind, from what I've seen in his interviews.

...yet PJ shared the stage many, many times with a now-member of GC.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    CJMST3K wrote:
    gecko wrote:

...yet PJ shared the stage many, many times with a now-member of GC.

Was it Good Charlotte and a popsicle? Or am I mixing bands?
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I saw STP a few months ago after missing out on them entirely during their heyday...music was good but the vocals were just not what I expected. Thought it was the sound system, but I was never disappointed with a concert at this particular venue. At least now I know it is consistent. I have their last album, but have yet to listen to it for fear it will SUCK.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,779
    DewieCox wrote:
    STP is/was just the better band.

Have to agree with that 100%.

and I too find that out of character for Matt, at least I hope so.
  • Options
    JM55546JM55546 Posts: 129
    I went to STP last winter in New Hampshire, not looking forward to it at all, and really really liked the show, they were dead on. Going tomorrow in Boston 4th row. I haven't heard great stuff about this new tour though.
  • Options
    Pearl JamesPearl James Pittsburgh/Chicago Posts: 420
    Hawk123 wrote:

That article was taken straight off of TMZs website, which in no way is a credible source. Weiland doesnt do any backtracking on any of his songs.
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,772
    Hawk123 wrote:

Important note from the comments section:

vandertramps :
    I was there, in the front row.
    He made the extra step and fell. He landed on his legs and then fell on his right side. He continued to sing quickly rising to his knees. Sang a few more lines near the crowd and was pulled up on stage.
    POSTED: 08/27/2010 - 11:33 am / quote |
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    From the Spin article on Soundgarden

Cameron picks up a copy of Billboard with another recently reunited iconic '90s-era outfit, Stone Temple Pilots, on the cover. "These guys are just painful," he says.

http://i52.tinypic.com/rbwn0o.jpg

The rest of the Spin article was already posted on their site by the way

Another reason why Matt is my hero :D
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,290
    I saw STP twice in 2000 and the shows were pretty good. We saw a show in Victoria last November (which is a small arena show) and it seemed like they were going through the motions. No energy, the crowd was meh. They played all their hits, but it was a meh kind of show.

The rest of the band has bailed on Weiland twice, but they can't make money without him, so the band keeps getting back together. They must know its a trainwreck waiting to happen all the time. It must make them cringe. I guess everyone needs a paying gig.

Its a shame I really liked STP up to the No. 4 album and they were pretty good on the No. 4 tour.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I haven't enjoyed anything STP has done since Purple.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.