Options

19 dead at german festival

Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
edited July 2010 in The Porch
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_germany_l ... ade_deaths

DUISBURG, Germany – A stampede inside a tunnel crowded with techno music fans left 15 people dead and dozens injured at the famed Love Parade festival in western Germany on Saturday.

Other revelers initially kept partying at the event in Duisburg, near Duesseldorf, unaware of the deadly panic that started when police tried to prevent thousands more from entering the already-jammed parade grounds.

Authorities were still trying to determine exactly what happened at the event, which drew hundreds of thousands of people, but the situation was "very chaotic," police commissioner Juergen Kieskemper said.

Emergency workers had trouble getting to the victims in the wide, 500- to 600-meter-long (500- to 600-yard) tunnel that led to the grounds. The area around the tunnel was a hectic scene, with bodies lying on the ground as rescue workers rushed to aid them. Many of the injured were loaded into Red Cross vans and driven away.

Kieskemper said that just before the stampede occurred at about 5 p.m. (1500 GMT, 11 a.m. EDT), police closed off the area where the parade was being held because it was already overcrowded. They told revelers over loudspeakers to turn around and walk back in the other direction before the panic broke out, he said.

Eyewitness Udo Sandhoefer told n-tv television that even though no one else was being let in people still streamed into the tunnel, causing "a real mass panic."

"At some point the column (of people) got stuck, probably because everything was closed up front, and we saw that the first people were already lying on the ground," he said.

"Others climbed up the walls and tried somehow to get into the grounds from the side, and the people in the crowd that moved up simply ran over those who were lying on the ground."

Another witness, a young man who wasn't named, told n-tv the tunnel became so crowded that people began falling. "It got tighter and tighter from minute to minute and at some point everyone just wanted out," he said. "People were just pushed together until they fell over."

Duisburg city officials decided at a crisis meeting to let the parade go on to prevent more panic and another stampede, said city spokesman Frank Kopatschek.

Police said the fatalities included nine women and six men.

It is the worst accident of its kind since nine people were crushed to death and 43 more were injured at a rock festival in Roskilde, Denmark, in 2000. That fatal accident occurred when a huge crowd pushed forward during a Pearl Jam gig.

Germany's new president expressed his dismay at the deaths.

"Such a catastrophe that brings death, suffering and pain during a peaceful festival of happy young people is terrible," President Christian Wulff said, according to his office.

The Love Parade was once an institution in Berlin, but has been held in the industrial Ruhr region of western Germany since 2007.

The original Berlin Love Parade grew from a 1989 peace demonstration into a huge outdoor celebration of club culture that drew about 1.5 million people at its peak in 1999. But it suffered from financial problems and tensions with city officials in later years, and eventually moved.

sorry if already posted-protect each other out there!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    so sad...Yvi told us in euro thread... :(
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Very Sad. :cry:
  • Options
    18 deaths already... :(
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    (((((((((((((((people watching out for other people))))))))))))))))) :!:
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    Just read about it. Terrible news. :(
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    rip.

event promoters need to get their act together for festivals.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    This is terrible. Prayers for them and their families.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    I see organisers are already blaming the victim.
    You close one end of the tunnel and watch the people stream in through the other, I say it's your fault. Panic and stampede came as a result.
    How scary that place must've been, I can't even imagine, trapped without way out. Horrible way to die, I feel sorry for them and their families.
  • Options
    sad, but how is this PJ related?
    Roskilde is already mentioned in the article.
  • Options
    glowbabyglowbaby Australia Posts: 29
    its so difficult to get my head around this... i'm sure for many others too... :|
  • Options
    Kiwi In OzKiwi In Oz Canberra Posts: 266
    So sad to hear this
    My heart and thoughts go out to the victims families.
    :cry: :shock: :cry:
    1995 - Auckland, New Zealand
    1998 - Wellington + Auckland, New Zealand
    2000 - London, UK x 2
    2006 - Melbourne, Australia x 3
    2009 - Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland
    2010 - Newark, MSG x 2
    2011 - PJ20 & EV Brisbane 2, Canberra, Melbourne x 2, Adelaide 1, Perth 2
    2013 - San Diego, Los Angeles, Oakland, Portland, Vancouver, Seattle
    2014 - Auckland, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Sydney & EV - Sydney x 2
    2015 - Mexico City
    2016 - Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Hampton, Fenway x 2
    2023 - Fort Worth x 2, Austin x 2
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    It's very, very sad. But one can't compare this festival to any others (and not Roskilde really, even if it has been mentioned in the article). The Love Parade Festival attracts over ONE MILLION people. I think this year 1.4 million converged in Duisburg. It was the first time in this city.
  • Options
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/7908522/19-dead-in-Love-Parade-stampede.html

Another witness who gave his first name as Fabio said he tried to warn police before the stampede occurred that a catastrophe was building.
    “A friend and I got out as hundreds more poured in,” he said. “We tried to tell them to close it down, but they didn’t listen. This was about 45 minutes before people were killed.”

"I saw police on the bridge just standing there and they didn’t do anything.”

You just know it will be hushed.
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Terribly sad, really feel for their families and friends.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Rest in peace.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    very, very sad
    especially with histories of stampede deaths surrounding such events.
    seriously, closing one end of a tunnel and not making some kind of arrangements on the other?
    negligent behavior by the organizers, imho
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    FrecklesFreckles Posts: 17
    Today the German authorities stated that 19 persons were killed and over 300 injured during the stampede.

The Love Parade took place in Duisburg because Berlin´s and other cities´traffic systems could not handle the run of visitors anymore. Duisburg expected about 1 million visitors, an estimated 1.4 million showed up. Duisburg´s city center cannot handle a parade this big, that´s why the organizers decided to run the parade in a seperated festival area for the first time. The visitors had to enter the area which was located between the highway A59 and the railroads through two tunnels from both sides.
    The festival entrance was closed and people were informed through loudspeakers that nobody will be allowed to enter anymore. Obviously this information did not reach the mass of visitors that continued to enter the tunnel from the back. There is no way of making 500.000 people turn around and walk away from the event they came for.
    When people were piling up in front of the entrance gate many persons started climbing up walls and fences to escape the crowd. Apparently 16 persons fell to death, 3 more died later in hospital. More than 300 were injured when the crowd panicked and started to stampede back into the tunnel.

People blame the organizers and their security management for the tragedy. News say that when the entrance was closed the festival area was not filled up to its limit. "Experts" say the tunnel was not too tight to handle the waiting crowd. The organizers say some people "broke the rules" by pushing down fences and climbing up staircases.
    Now people will continue blaiming each other for what went wrong. Nobody even knows how many visitors the festival area could take and how many visitors there were.
    It´s just a terrible thing to happen. The only fact is that the Love Parade will never take place again.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Freckles wrote:
    People blame the organizers and their security management for the tragedy. News say that when the entrance was closed the festival area was not filled up to its limit. "Experts" say the tunnel was not too tight to handle the waiting crowd. The organizers say some people "broke the rules" by pushing down fences and climbing up staircases.
    Now people will continue blaiming each other for what went wrong.
    From what a number of reports say, it seems to be a tragic chain of events, with failings from organisers, security & festival goers.
  • Options
    mike86mike86 Posts: 161
  • Options
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I can't really comprehend 1.4 million at a festival. My mind thinks about the PJ arenas, about 15,000, that's 100 times as many people. That many people together sounds dangerous to me, I would be afraid to attend a gathering that huge.
  • Options
    More than million people, and do you see the grounds they provided? Mind boggles.
  • Options
    wolkenloswolkenlos Posts: 591
    I just saw a report on german television and they interviewed a doctor and he said that even more people will die because many of the injured people are in very bad condition and he don't think that they'll be able to help all of them to survive.

:cry:
  • Options
    wolkenlos wrote:
    I just saw a report on german television and they interviewed a doctor and he said that even more people will die because many of the injured people are in very bad condition and he don't think that they'll be able to help all of them to survive.

:cry:
    danm.. :( :cry:
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,321
    That's sad as hell my thoughts to the families affected :( ..Like someone else said way to big a crowd for my taste .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    the videos are up ,are so sad..u see the horor in people's eyes... :(