Options

Allman Brothers Band

Grandmas JamGrandmas Jam Posts: 1,860
edited March 2013 in Other Music
So in 2008 I almost shit myself when I found out both Pearl Jam and ABB were gonna headline Bonnaroo. Than I did shit myself when I found out that ABB was gonna open for Pearl Jam .... what? My number 2 favoirte band all time opening for my number 1 favorite band all time?!?!?!? It was too good to be true I thought.....

Well it was, because a month later ABB pulled out of the festival because Gregg Allman had Hep C. Terrible, I thought about crying. But I held it together. And I was piussed the entire time Jack Johnson played before Pearl Jam. Real pissed.

So anyways, I was just wondering if there were any other PJ fans that love ABB as much as I do. I see them at least one a year. Usually in Hartford, CT at the Meadows. I've seen Pearl Jam live 15 times and the Allman Brothers live 7 times. Hoping to find some buddies here that likes ABB as much as I do and would maybe like to frequent some shows with me....both PJ and ABB. Any takers?
Ryan Crooks insists upon himself
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Fuckin' Allman Brothers Band! They are so fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Peace ...
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Love the Allmans. I've seen them three times. However, the true magic of this band rested with this man:
    Duane_Allman_great_picjpgw300h399.jpg
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Love the Allmans. I've seen them three times. However, the true magic of this band rested with this man:
    of course it does, but you can't bring him back from the dead.....so instead they got Warren Haynes now, brought back Dickie Betts and have like 4 drummers playing. Love them soooo much. Hey, Bostons a hop skip and a jump away from Hartford, and they play at the meadows (where PJ usually play) every August if you want to join
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Such a great, great, great band.

I think Derek Trucks is probably the closest they could ever come to filling Duane's shoes.

IMO, Derek Trucks is the best slide guitarist since Duane.

I love the Allman Brothers Band also because they bring me back to the short, but great time I spent living in the South.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    of course it does, but you can't bring him back from the dead.....so instead they got Warren Haynes now, brought back Dickie Betts and have like 4 drummers playing. Love them soooo much. Hey, Bostons a hop skip and a jump away from Hartford, and they play at the meadows (where PJ usually play) every August if you want to join

Dude, if I lived anywhere remotely near you, I'd be all about hitting up an ABB show with you.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    I actually need an excuse to do the Meadows this year, so yeah, I could work that. I just realized last week that I am committed to 13 concerts in the next four months. :lol:

As far as the Duane & Dickie into Warren & Derek discussion goes, I love both set-ups. Derek Trucks is amazing and his solo stuff is just fantastic. He takes the old jams to a new level with ABB I think. Warren is just a rugged and raw ax man who does Duane's trademark slide proud. There is no replicating the power of Duane, however. They caught lightening in a bottle during that three year stretch and have parlayed that into almost 4 decades of touring success.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    So in 2008 I almost shit myself

and your pit name includes "grandma"? I immediately had a mental picture :lol::lol::lol:

Yep, I've seen the ABB a few times. Legends.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I can handle them in Fillmore East size doses, but they're too noodly for me. I can't deny they've put out some great music, though.
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    and your pit name includes "grandma"? I immediately had a mental picture :lol::lol::lol:
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    Grandmas Jam, I fuckin love the Allmans. Seen them 3 times and listen to them often. I think Derek Trucks is just as amazing as Duane was, and maybe better, honestly! I dunno, I just love his style of playing. Doesn't matter who's better, really. They are one of the great touring bands - still magic after all these years.

I was at Bonnaroo '08 and I thought Jack Johnson was way too dry of an opener for Pearl Jam. His music is fine if you're just chilling around the house, but I never had much interest in seeing him. In fact, I was at my campsite the whole time he was playing at Bonnaroo. We heard Eddie just fine when he suddenly came on to sing with him. :)

Anyway, dude... you're in CT, I'm in MA. I assume you're going to the Hartford show... we should meet up!
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    I can handle them in Fillmore East size doses, but they're too noodly for me. I can't deny they've put out some great music, though.

I can see that not being someone's thing. If I remember correctly my girlfriend said something of similarity when we first saw The Black Crowes.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    i think I've been to every ABB show at the meadows for the past 10-12 years, maybe missed one year, don't remember

the moe>ABB show was the best, Al came out and played franklin's tower with ABB..good stuff
  • Options
    I actually need an excuse to do the Meadows this year, so yeah, I could work that. I just realized last week that I am committed to 13 concerts in the next four months. :lol:

As far as the Duane & Dickie into Warren & Derek discussion goes, I love both set-ups. Derek Trucks is amazing and his solo stuff is just fantastic. He takes the old jams to a new level with ABB I think. Warren is just a rugged and raw ax man who does Duane's trademark slide proud. There is no replicating the power of Duane, however. They caught lightening in a bottle during that three year stretch and have parlayed that into almost 4 decades of touring success.

I assume that you will be going to PJ in hartford....correct? If you are we should meet up before the show. I got a hotel room, and a sky box with my buddies. I'm also going to MSG 1, 2, and Boston. We can chill before any of those and discuss our possible ABB concert. PM me, we'll exchange numbers.
  • Options
    kenny olav wrote:
    Grandmas Jam, I fuckin love the Allmans. Seen them 3 times and listen to them often. I think Derek Trucks is just as amazing as Duane was, and maybe better, honestly! I dunno, I just love his style of playing. Doesn't matter who's better, really. They are one of the great touring bands - still magic after all these years.

I was at Bonnaroo '08 and I thought Jack Johnson was way too dry of an opener for Pearl Jam. His music is fine if you're just chilling around the house, but I never had much interest in seeing him. In fact, I was at my campsite the whole time he was playing at Bonnaroo. We heard Eddie just fine when he suddenly came on to sing with him. :)

Anyway, dude... you're in CT, I'm in MA. I assume you're going to the Hartford show... we should meet up!

Yea definately, I'm always down for meeting people in the pit. Some of the coolest people out there on the internet. lol, PM me if so
  • Options
    imalive wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    All the irony is IN the name my friends. I love my message pit name, I think its pretty opriginal. PLus people think I'm a chick all the time so I've been hit on in the message pit before and I find that hillarious.
  • Options
    This is the ultimate feel good sunny day song ever. I love this song so much. Listening to it just blasts me into a place of good feelings and happiness.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1jpQu6qR1E&NR=1
    I'll post some more sweet songs here on youtube for ya'll.
  • Options
    14RAY5514RAY55 Mami Posts: 109
    Hey G.J. the Allman's and PJ are my 2 favorite bands too. I just got back from Wanee and got a major Allman fix. Like last year they played Friday and Saturday for over 2 1/2 hrs. both days and kicked ass. Greg looked and sounded great and Warren and Derek were amazing along with the rest of the band. They brought on a bunch of great people to sit in for a song or two like John Bell and Jimmy Herring from Widespread Panic and Johnny Winter (still alive and well). I've been an ABB fan since high school when Eat A Peach came out and as long as they keep playing I'll be there.
    Still Alive And Well In Miami
    4-23-92 Miami,8-22-92 Miami,3-28-94 Miami,10-07-96 Ft.Laud.,9-22-98 WPB,9-23-98 WPB,8-9-00 WPB,8-10-00 WPB,4-11-03 WPB,7-16-06 S.F.,7-18-06 S.F.,7-22-06 Gorge,6-11-08 WPB,6-12-08 Tampa,10-23-10 Moun.View,10-24-10 Moun.View
  • Options
    14RAY55 wrote:
    Hey G.J. the Allman's and PJ are my 2 favorite bands too. I just got back from Wanee and got a major Allman fix. Like last year they played Friday and Saturday for over 2 1/2 hrs. both days and kicked ass. Greg looked and sounded great and Warren and Derek were amazing along with the rest of the band. They brought on a bunch of great people to sit in for a song or two like John Bell and Jimmy Herring from Widespread Panic and Johnny Winter (still alive and well). I've been an ABB fan since high school when Eat A Peach came out and as long as they keep playing I'll be there.
    Damm, you must have seen some real good shows of them. Back when Dwayne was still alive. Awesome. Well heres another treat for 420
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pq4_hbO6zs
  • Options
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    All the irony is IN the name my friends. I love my message pit name, I think its pretty opriginal. PLus people think I'm a chick all the time so I've been hit on in the message pit before and I find that hillarious.

never thought you were a chick. "almost shit myself" made me tend to think you were a dude. ;):lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive wrote:

never thought you were a chick. "almost shit myself" made me tend to think you were a dude. ;):lol:

Good call. I can't think of a time where I've heard any female say they almos tshit themselves. That definitely seems like a dude thing to say. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    imalive wrote:

Good call. I can't think of a time where I've heard any female say they almos tshit themselves. That definitely seems like a dude thing to say. :lol:
    Well I mean of course, but every one of my posts dont include me shitting myself :lol:

So occassionally I get hit on by people, especially when I post silly things in the single people threads. Regaurdless we digress from how great ABB and PJ are. And the short answer is amazing. I hope you guys watch some of the videos I post. They are goodies
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,011
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOS3WTzL7A
    "Pony Boy" - Brothers and Sisters
  • Options
    Are there even ABB dates announced yet?
  • Options
    Are there even ABB dates announced yet?
    http://www.allmanbrothersband.com/modul ... derby=date
    only one so far. they played a lot of shows this spring and just played the Jazz Festival last weekend. But They usually announce tours pretty late and they always seem to tour In August so I'm not too worried because The Meadows barely has anyone playing in August and Septemeber
    http://www.eventticketscenter.com/Resul ... ?venid=111
    ABB will play.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    dickey who? ;)

Allman Brothers - Blue Sky - 3/5/13 - Beacon Theater
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqPXCpmIFI8

incredible is all i can say
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Allman Brothers are a great band