Options

sealed vs. non-sealed vinyl pearl jam LPs

i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
edited January 2010 in The Porch
in an attempt to keep people from overpaying for sealed records i'd like to point your attention to the record collectors guild website. there is NO logical reason to pay an insane amount of money for a pearl jam album that is still sealed. i was shopping for records a few years ago and found a sealed copy of riot act. sweet find, right? well. kind of. the plastic had warped the corners of the album and the pressure caused rings in the cover as well. so. please please please. if you want to buy pearl jam albums follow the good words of the people at the record collectors guild and buy unsealed and played vinyl as it would be a real bitch spend $500 on the into the wild soundtrack only to find out you just bought the ONE copy with a factory defect.

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/

Remove the original manufacturers wrapping from records. These wraps will shrink over time, eventually warping the jacket and it's contents. Replace this "shrink wrap" with high density polyethylene, or "acid free" sleeves. Additionally, you should also replace regular paper or "acid bearing" inner sleeves, with Mylar or Polyethylene sleeves. Also available are rice paper inner sleeves from Japan, though these type of sleeves are a little expensive. Regular paper inner sleeves will scratch the surface of your recordings with every pass. And, certain plastic lined sleeves will create a chemical reaction with the record, while in storage.

so shop smart. shop s-mart.

errr.. i mean do the research before you buy!
But one expert advises caution in paying a premium for still-sealed albums.

"One of the problems with still-sealed albums is that they can be resealed and passed off as authentic period pieces," said Tim Neely, a contributor to Goldmine music magazine and editor of its Standard Catalog of American Records book. "That's why I hesitate to pay a premium for a still-sealed album."

Also, Neely said, there can be different states of condition within the realm of "still sealed."

"A still-sealed album can have a cut-out notch, which automatically knocks the cover down to VG+ or VG++ at best," he said. "The cover can have ring wear if it is improperly stored. And you don't know what the record will sound like, or even if it's been properly pressed."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

love that movie
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    yoke wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

love that movie

heh. i saw the opportunity and took it. just couldn't help myself.
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    My albums are still sealed because I don't have a record player. I wish I had one but they are so expensive. ut isn't it true that once you play a record, the sound is ruined or never the same?
  • Options
    Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    Nice advice, I'll keep that in mind because right now I'm starting my own vinyl collection... I just got VS sealed, I mean it sealed!!! :D
    México 24/11/2011
  • Options
    the problem is, even if keeping it sealed does do more harm than good, the fact of the matter is that sealed vinyls sell for more...whether or not it should be.

the money is in sealed vinyl, so therefore collectors should keep them sealed if they one day plan to sell off their stock.

this is what i do, i try to get two copies of my vinyl, granted i just started collecting so i only have the more readily available releases which are easy to get two copies of. anyways i always keep one sealed and the other one i use for my enjoyment and purposes for what they are...SOMETHING TO LISTEN TO!
  • Options
    whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I record all of my albums and then seal them again with my shrink wrap plastic and heat gun. No one ever knows the difference. Its diabolical! :twisted:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    sealed are for collection and open for play.. :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    what i don't understand is why the put the no more 7" inside the LP sleeve. considering how fat that insert is there are going to be a ton of those LPs with 7" rings on the cover.
  • Options
    Alpine BoundAlpine Bound Posts: 1,809
    marcos wrote:
    My albums are still sealed because I don't have a record player. I wish I had one but they are so expensive. ut isn't it true that once you play a record, the sound is ruined or never the same?

Mine have all been played and they sound the same every time I spin them!!!! :D
  • Options
    camaroscamaros Posts: 1,003
    is it time to open my sealed Into The Wild????
    i like sound...
  • Options
    HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,148
    what i don't understand is why the put the no more 7" inside the LP sleeve. considering how fat that insert is there are going to be a ton of those LPs with 7" rings on the cover.

Lets see ..................maybe because its meant to be played! .....as I have with my ITW many times 8-)
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    Hawkshore wrote:

Lets see ..................maybe because its meant to be played! .....as I have with my ITW many times 8-)

winner winner chicken dinner.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    camaros wrote:
    is it time to open my sealed Into The Wild????

No - it's time to sell it to me for $20
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran