Options

H&M, Wal-Mart Destroy Unsold Clothing

Comments

• Options
    StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    prfctlefts wrote:
    I work for a major sporting goods chain named after a human organ.
    I'm sorry, that made me laugh.

Yeah my first thought was, "He works for Dick Cheney's Hunting store?" :lol:
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Starfall wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:

:lol::D:lol::lol:
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    i just heard China replaced Germany as the #1 importer in the world....
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    Starfall wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:

:lol: close
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:

Any takers ?

I would rather make do with less, than support that scumbag operation called Wal-Mart.

yeah sure whatever :roll:
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    prfctlefts wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:

Any takers ?

I would rather make do with less, than support that scumbag operation called Wal-Mart.

Oh, so you don't believe me? To me, the almighty dollar and saving pennies by shopping at Walmart doesn't equate to more happiness.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Oh, so you don't believe me? To me, the almighty dollar and saving pennies by shopping at Walmart doesn't equate to more happiness.
    being able to feed my family whilst shopping at walmart would make me happier than seeing them starve :oops:

Sure we all have morals but I don't think many of us actually know what it really is to be poor. Sure, I can still afford to choose where I shop... just about!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL NewYork Posts: 727
    Jeanwah wrote:

Yeah... but spending $250 a month on Pediausre instead of $400 a month on Pediasure, yielding an annual savings of $1800 (x 5 years = $9,000).... well it doesnt = happiness. But it does equal some sort of fiscal (if not social) responsibility. And hell... if I cant pay my rent.... My child and I probably won't be very HAPPY!

(Let's face it... if you are out of $ everyone wants to say it must be because you arent fiscally responsible. For proof... see recent Emergency Contraception thread!!!)
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:

being able to feed my family whilst shopping at walmart would make me happier than seeing them starve :oops:
    I'm talking about doing with less stuff in general, not necessarily food.
    If we all consciously thought about what we buy on a daily basis and questioned whether we truly need whatever we're buying, it would bring to light exactly how much money we all waste on products we *think* we need, but only really want them. It's a minimalist perspective, but we Americans buy right into the "Save More, Live Better" tagline of Walmart, yet what exactly IS "Living better"?? Having more crap in our houses does not equal happiness, nor does it mean we live any better than the next guy.

It all comes down to values, and personally, I'd rather not buy a few pieces of crap simply because they're cheap, and spend my money more wisely and at businesses that share my values. It does not mean I make more money, it's because I don't believe in supporting a business and their deceptive practices.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    If we all consciously thought about what we buy on a daily basis and questioned whether we truly need whatever we're buying, it would bring to light exactly how much money we all waste on products we *think* we need, but only really want them.

I truly believe and live by this exact philosophy. However, it doesnt change any of my feelings about my last post. I dont go into Walmart and walk out with an extra handbag because i need a $7.99 purple purse to match the new 11.99 purple sneakers i just picked up in aisle three.

I hear what you're saying. But do you hear what we are saying? A lot of people are crunching numbers to make sure they can afford their kids healthcare and other basic needs (food, shelter etc.)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I'm talking about doing with less stuff in general, not necessarily food.
    If we all consciously thought about what we buy on a daily basis and questioned whether we truly need whatever we're buying, it would bring to light exactly how much money we all waste on products we *think* we need, but only really want them. It's a minimalist perspective, but we Americans buy right into the "Save More, Live Better" tagline of Walmart, yet what exactly IS "Living better"?? Having more crap in our houses does not equal happiness, nor does it mean we live any better than the next guy.

It all comes down to values, and personally, I'd rather not buy a few pieces of crap simply because they're cheap, and spend my money more wisely and at businesses that share my values. It does not mean I make more money, it's because I don't believe in supporting a business and their deceptive practices.

Buying a few pieces of crap simply because they are cheap is not a good enough reason (but, if that's what makes one happy, who am I to judge? Maybe someone really wants that purple purse to go with the purple sneakers and it will lift their spirits!). But if someone is on a very tight budget but would still like some 'luxuries', buying what they NEED cheaper, means they may be able to buy something they WANT with the money they saved on necessities or even just spend it on more NEEDS (like the poster saving $400 a month on a necessity...).

A couple of years ago, I was rolling in it. No worries about the money I was spending on food, necessities and non-necessities. Money I was spending on my daughter - music lessons, musical theater, etc. Now money is very tight - I've 'downgraded' where I buy food and am very careful. Yes, my daughter doesn't need her lessons, but they make her happy and, should I be living in the US, would have no problems shopping at Wal-Mart. If I can save on food and whatever other stuff they sell there, it enables my daughter continue with her activities.

Another example which maybe a lot here can relate to... one doesn't HAVE/NEED to go to see Pearl Jam but WANT to, even on a very tight budget and it makes us happy. So, if one shops at Wal-Mart maybe he/she can 'save' enough money, not only for tickets and transport, but also to enjoy a drink or two - make them happy.

As you say, it comes down to values. We all have different ones - who is to say which ones are the best?
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Jeanwah wrote:
    prfctlefts wrote:

Any takers ?

*applause*
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:
    If we all consciously thought about what we buy on a daily basis and questioned whether we truly need whatever we're buying, it would bring to light exactly how much money we all waste on products we *think* we need, but only really want them.

I truly believe and live by this exact philosophy. However, it doesnt change any of my feelings about my last post. I dont go into Walmart and walk out with an extra handbag because i need a $7.99 purple purse to match the new 11.99 purple sneakers i just picked up in aisle three.

I hear what you're saying. But do you hear what we are saying? A lot of people are crunching numbers to make sure they can afford their kids healthcare and other basic needs (food, shelter etc.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiSmlmXp-aU

I know that you're willing to drive the extra mile to buy your stuff at the cheapest store in town, regardless of their business ethics. It may not be important to you, but I know people who work for the scumbag corporation, who are denied health insurance (he's allowed to purchase at full cost to him), he's denied the promise of full-time work, even though he was hired to work full-time (he gets sent home whenever there's not enough work for him) and makes minimum wage. He's not a cashier, he's a production worker at a distribution plant. And do I need to explain to you their use of sweatshops in China? Do you know any local business owners trying to compete with the giant? I do. I'd rather support my friends.

Like I said, even if I was dirt poor, there is no way, I'd give that scumbag operation my business.
    Watch the movie.
    http://www.walmartmovie.com/

Redrock - when I don't have money to see PJ or any other good concert, I don't go. Plain and simple. I've missed quite a few in the last year due to lack of funds.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    Jeanwah wrote:
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Redrock - when I don't have money to see PJ or any other good concert, I don't go. Plain and simple. I've missed quite a few in the last year due to lack of funds.

Especially these days with the prices of concert tickets, one has to be selective plain and simple. For some of the major bands the costs average $70 and upwards, mostly upwards. I thought we were in a recession, i haggled with scalpers at a recent U2 concert and got on the floor general admission tickets for $55 instead of $100. Needless to say I was very happy with that deal.

peace

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited January 2010
    Jeanwah wrote:

I know that you're willing to drive the extra mile to buy your stuff at the cheapest store in town, regardless of their business ethics.

Firstly, Jeanwah aka "attack mode woman", you obviously didnt read my post as the CLOSEST store is WALMART. And i go there occasionally to buy Pediasure. Which, btw, doesnt come from China.

Secondly... You dont need to explain shit to me.

But obviously you will. Because you did... AND because you seem to believe you know a great deal more of my purchasing records and personal and social responsibility than i do.

yay for you! :)

*EDIT* Please allow mw to enighten you as to my original post... i dont know how you read all that judgmental bullshit you spewed at me from this ... but just in case you have trouble withthe back-tracking... i'll repost my original post for you:
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:

My three year old son needs to drink Pediasure. He goes through about 4-5 bottles a day; about five to six "six packs'" a week. At the drug store near my house (It's a CVS) six bottles of pediasure cost $15.99. At the nearby supermarket it is 12.99. Closer to my house than all of them is Walmart. They charge $9.99 for six bottles.

The other day i went to walmart and bought three "six packs."

I generally dont shop at Walmart. But sometimes, when your kid goes through about 25 sixpacks of Pediasure a month.... a savings of $3-$5 a sixpack is ENORMOUS! And... they have never been out of the chocolate, while many many of the supermarkets are out of it frequently.

Sad but true.
    Post edited by GTFLYGIRL on
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    whats with the personal attacks., its a message board, we should be debating not attacking.

and for the record wallmart is the scum of capitalism. i'd pay more if it meant i didn't have to shop at wallmart, which i do.
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    whats with the personal attacks., its a message board, we should be debating not attacking.

and for the record wallmart is the scum of capitalism. i'd pay more if it meant i didn't have to shop at wallmart, which i do.

agreed. and most of the time... 90+ % of the time. i dont go to Walmart. On Monday I was out of Pediasure and went to CVS as Stop and Shop (12.99) was out... and was floored that it was $15.99. I bought two for $32.00. (A few months ago it was $14.99.) So the other night ... as both Stop and Shops were out of chocolate... and CVS was $16.99 I decided to try Walmart.... it was like the third or fourth time I have gone there to buy Pediasure. It was pretty much mind-boggling to me that i had just purchased two six packs for $32.00 at one store and walked out of there with three for $30.00.

That was my point. AND. NO. I will NOT buy it at CVS. Which is also a huge corporation (Where I live there are VERY few mom and pop type stores left) Funny. Because the supermarkets are like 12.99.... the difference of the Walmart price hadnt been so obvious to me the other times i had purchased there. However... the other day i couldnt help but notice the HUGE difference...

As a single mom of a kid with medical issues who goes through a RIDICULOUS amount of Pediasure... it was refreshing to find it so cheap! But because i hate Walmart i wont always buy it there. But I also wont lie and say i never will... because im pretty sure i will again!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Commy wrote:

agreed. and most of the time... 90+ % of the time. i dont go to Walmart. On Monday I was out of Pediasure and went to CVS as Stop and Shop (12.99) was out... and was floored that it was $15.99. I bought two for $32.00. (A few months ago it was $14.99.) So the other night ... as both Stop and Shops were out of chocolate... and CVS was $16.99 I decided to try Walmart.... it was like the third or fourth time I have gone there to buy Pediasure. It was pretty much mind-boggling to me that i had just purchased two six packs for $32.00 at one store and walked out of there with three for $30.00.

That was my point. AND. NO. I will NOT buy it at CVS. Which is also a huge corporation (Where I live there are VERY few mom and pop type stores left) Funny. Because the supermarkets are like 12.99.... the difference of the Walmart price hadnt been so obvious to me the other times i had purchased there. However... the other day i couldnt help but notice the HUGE difference...

As a single mom of a kid with medical issues who goes through a RIDICULOUS amount of Pediasure... it was refreshing to find it so cheap! But because i hate Walmart i wont always buy it there. But I also wont lie and say i never will... because im pretty sure i will again!

meanwhile local businesses and competition dries up, and pretty soon your wallmart will be charging 15.99 like their competition used to, because they can. tha'ts the idea, wallmart comes in, undercuts competition and then raises prices when they have been eliminated.

how do you compete with a company that makes more money than saudi arabia,as a busniess? if you give them your money you encourage their empire, just know they are sucking teh community out of our society, and i know its cheap and you need to do whwat you have to do, but there's ohnly so much they can provide. community comes before porfit, or it should.

notice in cuba they are dirt poor, for the most part, thanks to sanctions and the embargo, but they enjoy life . they are happy. happy with almost nothing. that's community, that's appreciating life, working with your neighbor to achieve something.

wall mart sucks all that out of life. they shrivel up the community. yeah they're cheap, but their are more importnat things in life.
    Post edited by Commy on
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    We've established that the destruction of otherwise donatable merchandise is, unfortunaely, universal and not limited to Wal-Mart. All that aside, here are PAGES of reasons to avoid Wal-Mart.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    wall mart sucks all that out of life. they shrivel up the community. yeah they're cheap, but their are more importnat things in life.

agreed... hence why in my original post i made it clear that i generally do not shop at walmart.

i pretty much only use local deli's, restaurants, booksellers, record stores (dont even use i-tunes...although i do buy from the ten club!) and many other stores when i can. The first thing to go under around here were mom and pop drug stores. (There are more "local" grocery stores than drug stores of which there are very very few.) Also, at the markets, it's unfortunate that it is hard to find two of the things i buy a TON of...soy milk and Pediasure. Big business has taken over the country. :(

I hear that in other parts of the country Walmart has a FULL grocery store with meat and produce and stuff too. It's not like that here.... very few food items.... So here they havent driven any of the supermarkets under ... YET.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Commy wrote:

agreed... hence why in my original post i made it clear that i generally do not shop at walmart.

i pretty much only use local deli's, restaurants, booksellers, record stores (dont even use i-tunes...although i do buy from the ten club!) and many other stores when i can. The first thing to go under around here were mom and pop drug stores. (There are more "local" grocery stores than drug stores of which there are very very few.) Also, at the markets, it's unfortunate that it is hard to find two of the things i buy a TON of...soy milk and Pediasure. Big business has taken over the country. :(

I hear that in other parts of the country Walmart has a FULL grocery store with meat and produce and stuff too. It's not like that here.... very few food items.... So here they havent driven any of the supermarkets under ... YET.
    the wallmart here has a supermarket. its a small town, cheap goods, rednecks, bad combination. its like a fucking day out, going to wallmart. i'd rather see it burn
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I hate Wal-Mart. I avoid shopping at Wal-Mart and Sam's. I think everyone should avoid shopping at Wal-Mart & Sam's. I've had many family members work at Wal-Mart & get treated like shit. I prefer to spend my money, even if it does cost a little more, shopping at places I think are more reputable. I encourage everyone to do the same.

That said, I don't think any of us have a right to judge others for shopping there, and I think we should recognize that we, too, might someday be in a position where we think that's the best thing to do.

When people I know shop at Wal-Mart, I educate them about the poor business practices. If they don't care about how other people are treated, I tell them they should care. But if they weigh all of their responsibilities in life and avoiding Wal-Mart comes in as a lower priority than buying Pediasure for their kid, I don't think it's my place (or your place) to judge. Life is complicated. I realized long ago that idealism can only work to a certain extent. And I recognize that I am damn lucky to be in a position to get to choose to drive further and spend more money for the things that I need. I'm also fortunate to not have a family, whose needs must be prioritized over my idealism. But not everyone is as fortunate as I am.

Speaking of family, when I go to visit my great-grandmother in rural Arkansas, I do shop at Wal-Mart. That's where she shops (since the Piggly Wiggly closed down). That's where the women my grandfather & uncle have married work. It's like some kind of family affair or something. I don't need to tell my new step-grandmother and my new aunt that Wal-Mart treats their employees poorly. They know much more about that than I will ever know from watching a documentary and reading about it on the internet. They also know that they won't have jobs if no one shops there. I've explained to them that I don't like to shop there. But I'm not going to put up a fight that my 95-year-old great-grandmother should change her way of life, even just while I'm in town. And I'm not going to sweep into town and act all high-and-mighty and holier-than-thou and condemn my rural relatives' way of life and employer. And, given that they have to drive me to the store, I'm sure as hell not going to expect them to drive me across town to another location. None of the drama this would cause in my family is worth the couple of bucks of my money that Wal-Mart wouldn't even notice they lost. Those are my priorities. Sometimes you have to pick your battles.

And I'll give you another example of when I shop at Wal-Mart: Once or twice a year my program runs workshops where we use papayas to teach medical students and physicians how to aspirate a uterus. We have to get about 50 papayas and they all have to be the size of an 8-week pregnant uterus. Let me tell you, 50 eight-week pregnant papayas aren't easy to come by! The first time I tried, I spent nearly two days driving all over town looking for papayas. I refused to go to Wal-Mart. I finally came back with a couple of papayas from Whole Foods and my boss freaked out! Turns out the organic papayas they had at Whole Foods are WAY more expensive. There's no way our workshop budget could allow for that cost, and I'd have to go to every Whole Foods in town to get enough papayas anyway. So, after exhausting every option (farmers markets, grocery stores, Costco, etc.), I ended up at Wal-Mart. Turns out that Wal-Mart consistently has the right size papayas, has enough of them, and sells them for cheap. After trying to avoid Wal-Mart again for the next couple of workshops, I finally learned to just suck it up and go there right away from now on. My boss once had to buy them and tried to be idealistic about it too, when I told him to go to Wal-Mart. But he learned to suck it up as well. My point being - you never know when you might have to shop at Wal-Mart, so you may as well just say you'll do your best not to, but quit now with the "I would NEVER!" attitude.
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I don't care who you guys voted for, well as long as it wasn't pelosi, you anti-walmart people are ok in my book. I'm buying the first round in our group rant.
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Commy wrote:
    notice in cuba they are dirt poor, for the most part, thanks to sanctions and the embargo, but they enjoy life . they are happy. happy with almost nothing.
    Oh yeah? Seeing life through rose tinted glasses!
    Jeanwah wrote:

You may not, but just read this board at tour time. I'm not saying those with NO money, but those with some money but not enough.

To all of those who are on their high horses about wal-mart, when you do shop at your local mom & pop shops, are you as aware of the corporations behind the products you buy? Jeanwah - I'm sure you will say you are and you only buy fairtrade and ethically sourced goods and that you would do without if they are not - but for the majority of people, do you know what is behind the coffee you buy? The cereals you may eat every day? The pretty skirt or shoes you have just got? Think... it's not just about WHERE you buy, but WHAT you buy. If one was living to such strict 'values' as some displayed here about buying at Wal-Mart, one would be growing ALL his/her food, raising animals for milk, wool, etc..... Such is life.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

I know that you're willing to drive the extra mile to buy your stuff at the cheapest store in town, regardless of their business ethics.

Firstly, Jeanwah aka "attack mode woman", you obviously didnt read my post as the CLOSEST store is WALMART. And i go there occasionally to buy Pediasure. Which, btw, doesnt come from China.

Secondly... You dont need to explain shit to me.

But obviously you will. Because you did... AND because you seem to believe you know a great deal more of my purchasing records and personal and social responsibility than i do.

yay for you! :)

*EDIT* Please allow mw to enighten you as to my original post... i dont know how you read all that judgmental bullshit you spewed at me from this ... but just in case you have trouble withthe back-tracking... i'll repost my original post for you:
    Umm, I was not *attacking* you. I was merely pointing out that you willfully shop at Walmart, and then explaining my POV. Get over yourself.

ETA: I understand that because your child needs so much Pediasure you go to the cheapest place you can buy it. Hence, you're still supporting the store's business ethics.
    Post edited by Jeanwah on
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

Umm, I was not *attacking* you. I was merely pointing out that you willfully shop at Walmart, and then explaining my POV. Get over yourself.

Awww, it's all good. I see that it is just your abrasive manner. No problem. :)
  • Options
    Commy wrote:
    the wallmart here has a supermarket. its a small town, cheap goods, rednecks, bad combination. its like a fucking day out, going to wallmart. i'd rather see it burn

i lived in a small town with a wal-mart. when i got there pretty much all the mom and pop stores were out of business, a lot of empty stores with dust.

for a lot of things there was just no competition in town other than a grocery store. while at a mechanic in town one day the owners wife was talking about how things like those big black plastic trash bags and other things are more expensive at the wal-mart in town than the wal-mart the wal-mart in a neighboring town which had a target and lots of other stores.

when i moved they had planned on making it a super wal-mart with the grocery side so instead of expnading their existing building, like a grocery store in town had done. instead they bought a locally owned restaurant that had been there for a long time and a few other buildings across the street and planned to tear them down to build the super wal-mart and just abandon the then current store.
    don't compete; coexist

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

• Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

Awww, it's all good. I see that it is just your abrasive manner. No problem. :)

deep breathe everybody! ..........and release
    don't compete; coexist

• Options
    since it's already somewhat off topic i'm not sure if they still do this but when i was a teenager i noticed in october or november best buy would raise prices on things like cds just a dollar or so, then after christmas they had this supposed big sale on everything bringing the price down a dollar or say where they would remain until october or november....

and didn't k-mart get caught many years ago rigging their registers to add an extra penny or 2 to each customer, which doesn't seem like a lot but overall amounted to a pretty large number?
    don't compete; coexist

• Options
    Jeanwah wrote:

ETA: I understand that because your child needs so much Pediasure you go to the cheapest place you can buy it. Hence, you're still supporting the store's business ethics.

cool. and if you read what i wrote more crarefully you would see that i only go there occasionally for the pediasure and actually ended up at walmart by default. Truth be said that it is a huge difference. 15.99 is SIX dollars more than 9.99.

Most of the time I dont go to Walmart and generally get it for 12.99 at stop and shop. I hadnt really paid much mind to the extreme difference in cost until i bought two for 32 and three for 30 two days later. It's a huge difference and when i have $10 in my pocket and my kid needs the crap i am sure i will go again. Every day? Every time? No! Occasionally? Sure....

That is the last i have to say on this.... Off to give my kid some damn Pediasure. :)