2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    edited August 2015
    I Got Shit = I got Nothing... That is how I have always looked at it.

My favorite Pearl Jam song and in my opinion their last truly epic song up there with Alive, Even Flow...
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    Total loneliness, paired with long road it is a perfect duo. I see it as a prisoner who can never get out and realize what he wants, the love of soemone who has written hi off because of what he did. This is the 4th song, the one after mama-son
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543

My favorite Pearl Jam song and in my opinion their last truly epic song up there with Alive, Even Flow...

With that interpretation, what would I got Id mean?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    InThinAir said:

I always compared this song to "The Sound and the Fury" by William Faulkner. In that book the one character is retarded. His point of view in the book talks about his existence within a totally screwed up family. He has fully functioning thoughts but can't share any of them. The Sound is the constant arguing, abuse, and cover up happening around him and the Fury is that he can't even yell out let alone get out. I equate this to I Got Shit because I think the person in the song is dealing with something similar whether it's a physical or mental I don't know but he can't express deep feelings for someone, most likely a woman he loves from a far. So he's saying I Got Memories I Got Shit because memories aren't enough for him he wants to express himself...

For the longest time I was wrong about a lyric and I was really bummed because I thought it was one of Eddie's best ever. When he says "If just once I could feel loved..." I thought he said "I'd say it like I mean it!!!" but he actually says "oh stare back at me yeah..." I like my misheard one better, so much that it used to give me chills to think about it. Oh well the beauty of PJ is that I can still feel that lyric if I want to.

Interesting interpretation. I know the line in Rockin In the Free World "never get to fall in love, never get to be cool" is in reference to Neil Young's handicapped child. Looking at this song in that context a lot fits that perspective. But I prefer the loss and loneliness meaning.

I like the parallel lyrics on self esteem from this song and Nirvana's Lithium."I'm so ugly, but that's ok, cause so are you", vs. Eddie 's " So I'll just lie alone and wait for the dream, where I'm not ugly and you're looking at me "
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    PJ_Soul said:

A song title that came later that could be said on the radio. I don't think I am right after giving it some more thought but I like the phrasing better with my take on it. Having a memory of an event or person but they don't mean anything now.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

A song title that came later that could be said on the radio. I don't think I am right after giving it some more thought but I like the phrasing better with my take on it. Having a memory of an event or person but they don't mean anything now.
    Well yeah, I know that's the radio friendly title, but it's still pertinent to the song I think.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    edited August 2015
    I know what a merkin is, but what is a merkin ball?

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,406

I know what a merkin is, but what is a merkin ball?

urban dictionary
    merkinball
    an old term that means a stand or holder for a pubic hair wig, also a pearl jam single
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    It's one of my favorites but I never really felt the need to analyze it. The emotion is so clear and relatable to me that trying to pin down specifics sort of takes away from it. Does that make sense to anyone but me?
  • Options
    jnikojniko Posts: 292
    I agree with October22. The emotion and energy are what inspire me about the song. Specific lines and phrases just give me an energy that's indescribable. I don't need an exact interpretation just what i feel.
  • Options
    Herein lies the awesomeness of art...it's completely subjective. It can mean something completely different to each of us, but still evoke a passion or view.

I've always loved this song. And personally considered it a personal struggle for the narrator in some way, be it love, loneliness, addiction.

After hearing other views, I think the "Sound and the Fury" interpretation is beautifully tragic and also see how the "prisoner" interpretation would totally fit in with Long Road and the Merkin Ball theme.

Man, I LOVE PEARL JAM!!!
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,474
    "All the advantage this life's got on me...."
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    october22 said:

It's one of my favorites but I never really felt the need to analyze it. The emotion is so clear and relatable to me that trying to pin down specifics sort of takes away from it. Does that make sense to anyone but me?

That's pretty much how I listen to all music. But when the subject comes up and I bother to think about it, I don't mind doing a closer interpretation and thinking about it in more academic terms. This kind of interpretation doesn't really factor in once the song is playing and I'm into it.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Music..the great interpretation. That's part of why I love it so much.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    october22 said:

Yeah, total sense.